Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How easy is to get a job?

How easy is to get a job?

Old Jul 3rd 2007, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Bonus77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How easy is to get a job?

Just starting the process, and im just wondering, how easy is it to get a job when there isnt a shortage of the trade im in?

Im an AAT qualified accounting technician with 11yrs accounting experience working in a UK office of a large american agriculture business. Im familiar with US GAAP practices and SOX procedures so im hoping this would help me also.

Whats the best way to approach it? Canvass with my CV/Resume?

Bruce
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 12:10 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How easy is to get a job?

Originally Posted by Bonus77
Im an AAT qualified accounting technician with 11yrs accounting experience working in a UK office of a large american agriculture business. Im familiar with US GAAP practices and SOX procedures so im hoping this would help me also.
Don't be surprised if Canadians know nothing about AAT.

You will also need to get a visa, and AAT may not be of any benefit for that.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

Bonus77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Don't be surprised if Canadians know nothing about AAT.

You will also need to get a visa, and AAT may not be of any benefit for that.
I was kind of hoping that it would be equivilent to the 15yrs education plus Diploma. Ive seen a site somewhere, where its the equivilent of a national diploma. Not sure if thats the same thing?
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonus77
Just starting the process, and im just wondering, how easy is it to get a job when there isnt a shortage of the trade im in?

Whats the best way to approach it? Canvass with my CV/Resume?

Bruce

Hi Hun

If you are working in industry - think that there is a kind of exchange arrangement for qualifications. I know that someone on here is in industry and hasnt had to sit exams whereas my hubby is a ACA and he has to sit the CARE exam with him working in public practice.

I would think that with GAAP etc these are skills which would be well looked upon as I remember when Phil first started to look alot of the jobs mentioned GAAP and SOX.

We basically went out for a "holiday" with one interview in a LLP already set up and then Phil decided he was going to go around every practice and submit a CV etc. He did this and then checked back on if they were interested and one of the firms who wasnt hiring the girl knew a friend of ours and whispered to go to a particular firm as she knew they were looking for someone. Within 3 days he had a job offer and had seen an immigration consultant who dealy with the LMO and WP applications.

Phil isnt top 4 trained but we were inundated with calls from the likes of Deloittes in Calgary to get him to go for an interview - but we had decided that we wanted to live in a smaller town rather than a big city.

I would check out www.monster.ca www.jobbank.ca and those type of sites and just get your resume off to as many as possible - trying to plan it in with when you could go for a week or so.

You dont get if you dont try !!

Gaynor
x
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 1:27 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

you can also check out the WES forum, converts uk qualifications to canadian, helped us on our fact finding
www.wes.org or try typing in google.ca and it may bring back the answers
hope that helps, but gaynor is right, they like to meet you in person, door knocking is the best

gill
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

susanmom has a brilliant futuresusanmom has a brilliant futuresusanmom has a brilliant futuresusanmom has a brilliant futuresusanmom has a brilliant futuresusanmom has a brilliant future

I would send resume to Big 4 firms. I got a job with Deloitte like that (ACCA with extensive SOX and prev professional experience). I applied over the internet, had a job offer in just over a month (accepted back in Feb), gave birth to my baby 1 March and arrived in Canada on work permit on 24th May. All happened very quickly

Susan