Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How Easy is it finding unskilled jobs in Toronto?

How Easy is it finding unskilled jobs in Toronto?

Old May 17th 2009, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

oceanblue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How Easy is it finding unskilled jobs in Toronto?

Hi, I was wondering just how bad the unemployment situation is in Toronto? My husband will be repatriating there in September and has said he would take any job he can get until the economy picks up again. He works as a computer technician for an IT company and installs networks for small companies. He doesn't have a college degree, but he's MCSA qualified and has been working in this field for 10 years. He's a hard worker and would take on any job (courier, driver etc.) until thing's get better. He's going to stay with relatives until he finds work and an apartment (1 bedroom for rent) and then I will follow with our two dog's. I have experience working in veterinary clinics as an assistant/receptionist, so I would most likely look for something similar.. Pet Smart would be good to begin with. We think that if he goes over first, it will be easier, as opposed to us both going over without jobs!
We live in Cyprus and want a change as there aren't many opportunities here. We'd also like to start a family over there, as we are newlyweds and feel now would be the right time to start working towards that goal.

Can someone please shed some light on the job situation?

Thanks

Last edited by oceanblue; May 17th 2009 at 11:56 pm.
Old May 18th 2009, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How Easy is it finding unskilled jobs in Toronto?

Originally Posted by oceanblue
Hi, I was wondering just how bad the unemployment situation is in Toronto? My husband will be repatriating there in September and has said he would take any job he can get until the economy picks up again. He works as a computer technician for an IT company and installs networks for small companies. He doesn't have a college degree, but he's MCSA qualified and has been working in this field for 10 years. He's a hard worker and would take on any job (courier, driver etc.) until thing's get better. He's going to stay with relatives until he finds work and an apartment (1 bedroom for rent) and then I will follow with our two dog's. I have experience working in veterinary clinics as an assistant/receptionist, so I would most likely look for something similar.. Pet Smart would be good to begin with. We think that if he goes over first, it will be easier, as opposed to us both going over without jobs!
We live in Cyprus and want a change as there aren't many opportunities here. We'd also like to start a family over there, as we are newlyweds and feel now would be the right time to start working towards that goal.

Thanks
Well, assuming he's clear to work anywhere and in any field, I see lots of minimum wage retail 'Help Wanted' signs in places like Home Depot & Timmies.

Then again, with his experience, he should be a shoe-in to a similar field and whatever the state of the economy, IT networks will still need maintenance.
Old May 18th 2009, 4:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanblue

Thanks
What visa will he be on? That may make a difference.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
Old May 19th 2009, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

Thankyou for replying to my post! He won't need a visa, as he was born in Canada. He moved abroad when he was very young. I believe he just needs a Social security number, and he's in the process of sponsoring me as his wife.
Old May 19th 2009, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry, me again... this may seem like a silly question... but are places like Sears, Winners, Pet Smart (etc) currently hiring?
Old May 20th 2009, 1:30 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Why is he applying for unskilled jobs when he is skilled within IT

Forget applying for shop work, if he has no retail experience he wont get much of a response, concentrate your efforts on IT companies and agencies.
Old May 20th 2009, 2:34 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll second what Danny just said, your husband may as well focus his efforts on jobs that he is qualified for & has experience in. Taking the retail sector as an example - these jobs may be seen as 'unskilled' by some in that you don't need academic qualifications, but employers still want someone with relevant experience.

Currently I work in an animal hospital, if you have relevant experience in this field then there is no reason for you not to aim for a veterinary position. There are heaps of clinics in downtown Toronto. We often get resumes dropped off by people calling in to see if there are openings, the upfront personal approach definately works. You might want to consider putting yourself forward as a volunteer as well as a prospective employee - with such a 'hands on' job, being able to actually show your skills is worth a lot more than a nicely written resume. (Not that your resume isn't important of course.)

Best of luck to you both.
Old May 20th 2009, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thankyou for your feedback, it is very much appreciated.
My husband is going over first to secure a job and an apartment; it would be too risky if we went together. It would be a major disappointment if we couldn't find jobs and had to leave. We don't want to put our pets through the stress of another flight home. I think I would be terribly upset if we were seperated for too long, which is why we are both open to unskilled jobs so I can join him as soon as possible. He will apply for jobs in his field too - he'll take whatever job he can get and as quickly as possible, providing it can cover our living expenses for a 1 bedroom apartment. I am going to submit my resume to veterinary clinics in our area and apply for retail jobs as well. We're newlyweds and have limited funds... around $20,000.

Would it be easier if we found an apartment in downtown Toronto, as opposed to the GTA? We're not sure which areas we should aim for. Pickering seemed like a decent area and we have friends and family that live there... but what are our chances of finding work nearby? Would we have that many options?

Thankyou again.
Old May 20th 2009, 2:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
What visa will he be on? That may make a difference.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
She said 'My husband will be repatriating there in September '...so he won't require a visa...but presumably she will.
Old May 20th 2009, 3:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
She said 'My husband will be repatriating there in September '...so he won't require a visa...but presumably she will.
Check post no. 4 JG - question already answered!

Old May 20th 2009, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Still wondering if anyone else has any feedback to share?
Old May 21st 2009, 4:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Check post no. 4 JG - question already answered!

Sorry I was distracted and didn't get past your post asking the OP about visas.