Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

how are dogs percieved???

Wikiposts

how are dogs percieved???

Old Apr 25th 2010, 11:48 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how are dogs percieved???

Sorry, totally forgot! Some airlines refuse to take "flat faced" dogs. We had nightmares with Canadian Affair initially & I had to ask the woman on the 'phone to Google "English Bull Terrier" to prove he had a long muzzle as opposed to a short one, ironic considering the whole breed was developed to lengthen the muzzle of bulldogs!
I have no idea what the situation is now as this was 18 months ago but I doubt it's changed much. The reasoning is that they supposedly have trouble breathing during the flight & the airlines don't want to be sued. I have doubts about this but I would imagine that Boxers (beautiful as they are) would be in this group..
Old Apr 26th 2010, 6:51 am
not wired right

scottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Joe_Sleepy
Sorry, totally forgot! Some airlines refuse to take "flat faced" dogs. We had nightmares with Canadian Affair initially & I had to ask the woman on the 'phone to Google "English Bull Terrier" to prove he had a long muzzle as opposed to a short one, ironic considering the whole breed was developed to lengthen the muzzle of bulldogs!
I have no idea what the situation is now as this was 18 months ago but I doubt it's changed much. The reasoning is that they supposedly have trouble breathing during the flight & the airlines don't want to be sued. I have doubts about this but I would imagine that Boxers (beautiful as they are) would be in this group..
hi Joe an thanks for that .. jus had a look at there website and found this;

Animals

Canadian Affair DO NOT allow the carriage of live animals as cargo on Thomas Cook Airlines or Air Transat flights.

I have flown mine before with thomson an they jus insisted due to the short snout they must have ventilation both ends of the crate but then it was only a 4 hour flight
i have emailed canadian affair for more info. i know a lot of airlines dont like flying british bulldogs an the like, just covering themselves as it is a long flight and knowing the breathin probs they can have fair enough

so knowin the english bulls are lil solid muscle machines how much did yours cost to get out there, our boxers are pretty lightweight at 28 and 32 kilo's so i'm expectin in the region of about £2000
Old Apr 26th 2010, 6:57 am
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

We just had the EBT & 2 cats when we flew out. We took in the AmBull as a rescue about a year ago. We paid £1,400 at the time and used TransFur, they were really great to deal with (I've never used anyone else though so can't really compare)..
Old Apr 26th 2010, 7:25 am
not wired right

scottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of light

ok excellent thank you for that info - hopefully will be goin in about 3 months so best crack on!
Old Apr 26th 2010, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by scottandsel
hi all - we're off to canada soon and taking our two boxers with us (avatar pic) i know bout dog parks an keepin them on leads, an dog licences in some provinces etc
anyway due to bad experiences here in greece made me wonder how are dogs in general percieved in canada?
thanks in advance
Where I live in Ontario they have leash-free zones. Although there are bad cases, I always considered Canada one of the more civilised countries when it comes to animal welfare. The local Humane societies are run by dedicated volunteers and animals are generally part of the family.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 9:55 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Access to countryside, and the necessity use a leash depends very much where you live. All the city public parks/greenspace here require dogs to be on a leash, though specific dog exercise park spaces do not. This area is blessed with crown land directly off many people's property, or within a short drive, where space and freedom for dogs to run around is pretty much unlimited.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 10:07 am
not wired right

all good to hear thanks everyone - poor dogs have been having a bit of a raw deal here an sounds like they'll be in their element - mind you just being on grass they'll be in heaven - only olive groves here!

tho i keep threatenin i'm gonna sneak them onto the 18th hole down at the blue palace before we leave!!!
Old Apr 26th 2010, 10:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joe_Sleepy
Having worked for an airline, yes snub nosed dogs have more issues, while the belly is heated and pressurized it gets very stuffy, poor circulation of air, combine this with an animal with a snub nose and the altitude pressures not a good mix for snub nosed dogs.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

kate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
The point I was trying to make is:
You may love everybody's dog, but not everybody is a dog lover, why should people who don't like/are afraid of dogs have to be in close quarters with them, because someone brings them on public transit?

I wouldn't dream of taking my beautiful, intelligent, people loving dog on public transit, when we are on the trails, I make him heal and we move across to the side when someone comes in the opposite direction - in case they are afraid or don't like dogs. It annoys the hell out of me when other dog owners let their dogs come barreling towards us - often unleashed, where they are supposed to be leashed, without any control.
If someone doesn't like dogs that is their problem not the dogs a bus is big enough for them to move away. Where I live dogs are not allowed on the bus at any time anyway.

There would have to be seriously something mentally wrong with a person to object to a dog on a bus, allergies are rare, so don't bring that up. I have never heard of anyone having an anaphylactic reaction to a dog. sneezing doesn't count.

You are putting the rights of someone objecting, a stranger on a bus over the rights of your dog. That's not right!

I don't think you should be making the dog heel on a trail either, if he's well behaved what is the problem? To me thats over controlling. I don't like to see pets or kids being over controlled.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 12:16 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kate 17
If someone doesn't like dogs that is their problem not the dogs a bus is big enough for them to move away. Where I live dogs are not allowed on the bus at any time anyway.

There would have to be seriously something mentally wrong with a person to object to a dog on a bus, allergies are rare, so don't bring that up. I have never heard of anyone having an anaphylactic reaction to a dog. sneezing doesn't count.

You are putting the rights of someone objecting, a stranger on a bus over the rights of your dog. That's not right!

I don't think you should be making the dog heel on a trail either, if he's well behaved what is the problem? To me thats over controlling. I don't like to see pets or kids being over controlled.
I didn't mention ANYTHING to do with allergies at all so don't slate me for something I didn't say.

And as for the rest of your rant, I really think you have a screw loose, I don't have personal exclusive rights to a trail, I use a 20ft long leash for my dog - not a retractable one, I heal him so he is close and away from someone that may fear him or from someone elses dog that may attack him, and yes that has happened. It's called protecting my dog from other peoples stupid behaviours and respecting other peoples views. As for dogs on buses, I have seen people allow their dog to pee up the fixtures in petsmart and petland, I wouldn't want to sit on a dog pee'd on seat on a bus.

You come across as a very single minded person who feels that her views are the only ones that should be listened to, I just hope you don't move down my street with your dogs running riot all over the place
Old Apr 26th 2010, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

kate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I didn't mention ANYTHING to do with allergies at all so don't slate me for something I didn't say.

And as for the rest of your rant, I really think you have a screw loose, I don't have personal exclusive rights to a trail, I use a 20ft long leash for my dog - not a retractable one, I heal him so he is close and away from someone that may fear him or from someone elses dog that may attack him, and yes that has happened. It's called protecting my dog from other peoples stupid behaviours and respecting other peoples views. As for dogs on buses, I have seen people allow their dog to pee up the fixtures in petsmart and petland, I wouldn't want to sit on a dog pee'd on seat on a bus.

You come across as a very single minded person who feels that her views are the only ones that should be listened to, I just hope you don't move down my street with your dogs running riot all over the place

I'm just giving you my opinion on dogs they should have rights too in this world of ours! I knew that if I "said people might object to dogs on busses
that someone would mention, "well what about people with allergies".

You are so keen on respecting other peoples views! What about mine?

Most people are not afraid of dogs, most other dogs don't attack so you think I have a screw loose, I think you're paranoid.

You started this not me.

My dear dog died 2 years ago and I still miss her badly. I love it when other peoples dogs come up and greet me.

I have seen humans go wee on busses what about sitting in that?

Last edited by kate 17; Apr 26th 2010 at 12:33 pm. Reason: Grammar
Old Apr 26th 2010, 12:45 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just giving you my opinion on dogs they should have rights too in this world of ours! I knew that if I "said people might object to dogs on busses
that someone would mention, "well what about people with allergies".

You are so keen on respecting other peoples views! What about mine?

Most people are not afraid of dogs, most other dogs don't attack so you think I have a screw loose, I think you're paranoid.

You started this not me.

My dear dog died 2 years ago and I still miss her badly. I love it when other peoples dogs come up and greet me.

I have seen humans go wee on busses what about sitting in that?
What about pet lions - should people be able to take them on the bus?
Old Apr 26th 2010, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alan2005
What about pet lions - should people be able to take them on the bus?
er no, unless it was 90 years old and toothless.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 12:50 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

er no, unless it was 90 years old and toothless.
So lions have less rights than dogs?
Old Apr 26th 2010, 12:50 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Go away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.