Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How dog friendly is Vancouver?

How dog friendly is Vancouver?

Old Nov 7th 2009, 7:57 pm
London-San Fran-Vancouver

BadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud of
Default How dog friendly is Vancouver?

I have searched and could not find much on the subject.

When / if we move over we will be bringing our two dogs a Patterdale Terrier and a small Boston Terrier.

I was wondering how dog friendly Vancouver is:

Are dogs allowed on public transport?
Are they excluded from events happening in parks?
Are they always allowed on the beach or only at certain times of the year?
Are you only able to let your dog off the lead in certain places in parks?

I have looked on Craigs list and see that it is not to much of a problem to rent although many places just allowing 1 dog up to 15lbs.

London is becoming so anti dog I just wondered how Vancouver would compare?

Thank you in advance.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

DaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How dog friendly is Vancouver?

Originally Posted by BadgerNaboo
I have searched and could not find much on the subject.

When / if we move over we will be bringing our two dogs a Patterdale Terrier and a small Boston Terrier.

I was wondering how dog friendly Vancouver is:

Are dogs allowed on public transport?
Are they excluded from events happening in parks?
Are they always allowed on the beach or only at certain times of the year?
Are you only able to let your dog off the lead in certain places in parks?

I have looked on Craigs list and see that it is not to much of a problem to rent although many places just allowing 1 dog up to 15lbs.

London is becoming so anti dog I just wondered how Vancouver would compare?

Thank you in advance.
Well I can't speak for N Van or W Van but I find there are lots of people who love dogs and lots who hate dogs ... not much in between. The latter still like to walk through the off-leash parks & dislike being approached by dogs. It is a point of huge debate in the local free papers.

I'm not sure about transport, but I know they are allowed inside Chapters bookstore - I wouldn't dream of taking my energetic dog in there!
They are excluded from some park events, most public spaces they are OK on the leash. Sports fields are supposed to be dog free but you often see dogs there.
They are only supposed to be on the dog beach areas in link below. In reality, if the lifeguards are there (May-Sept1) then dogs are not. Outside this time, on a grim foggy day in November you & dog can have the beach to yourself.
http://vancouver.ca/parks/info/dogparks/index.htm

The forests at pacific spirit have a very complicated set of rules for each path, which are not always obeyed - but you can be ticketed.
http://www.metrovancouver.org/servic...ficSpirit.aspx

I think renting with a dog is slightly more difficult than you are assuming. Landlords would rather not rent to a dog owner. Some condos don't allow dogs & others the lifts smell of pee. We rent our basement & have often been approached by desperate dog owners who cannot find anyone to let them rent. So you wouldn't get the best pick of the accomodation. You should allow more time for your search.

I suspect dogs are much more accepted if you live further out of the city.

Unlike UK, I like that 99% of dog owners pick up after their dog.
Helen
Old Nov 7th 2009, 9:24 pm

BadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud of

Thanks very much for the info.. Not great news about renting as we would have to do this before buying but will have to cross that bridge when we come to it.

In my local park most of us pick up after our dogs however there are the few know people that never do. I find this absolutely disgusting so it will be good to be in a place where more people do.

Thanks for the links very useful information there.

Both my dogs are very well behaved (they had to be after being office dogs).
Old Nov 7th 2009, 10:01 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaviesHN
They are excluded from some park events, most public spaces they are OK on the leash. Sports fields are supposed to be dog free but you often see dogs there.
They are only supposed to be on the dog beach areas in link below. In reality, if the lifeguards are there (May-Sept1) then dogs are not. Outside this time, on a grim foggy day in November you & dog can have the beach to yourself.
I agree with this and it applies to most of the Lower Mainland as well as Vancouver.

In the summer the beaches are off limits for dogs except for the designated areas. I can understand why because no one wants to sunbathe next to a pile of steaming dog turds. In the winter, as long as you can control your dog and pick up after it no one seems to worry too much.

The rare exception is White Rock which strictly enforces its no dog on the promenade/beach all year round. Fortunately there is a huge beach and park right next to White Rock beach that is on Semiahmoo land where the by-law nazis can't go.

There are many official off-leash parks in each city as well as many unofficial areas where well behaved dogs and dog owners are tolerated. If you have dogs that need a lot of exercise you get to know these pretty quickly.

As for public transport this is from the Translink website:

Pets on Transit

Travelling with a furry friend? Welcome aboard! Pets, including dogs, cats, rabbits and small fur-bearing or feathered animals are allowed on transit as long as they are in small, hand-held cages. The cage or container must fit on your lap or at your feet.

If you’re travelling with your pet, it’s best to make your trips during off-peak hours. The transit operator, at his or her discretion, may not allow you to board with your pet if there is a concern for the safety or comfort of your fellow passengers. Please respect their decision.

Pets are not permitted on HandyDART with the exception of Assistance Animals.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Travelling with a furry friend? Welcome aboard! Pets, including dogs, cats, rabbits and small fur-bearing or feathered animals are allowed on transit as long as they are in small, hand-held cages. The cage or container must fit on your lap or at your feet.

If you’re travelling with your pet, it’s best to make your trips during off-peak hours. The transit operator, at his or her discretion, may not allow you to board with your pet if there is a concern for the safety or comfort of your fellow passengers. Please respect their decision.

.[/I]
Thanks again for the useful info.. Do they really mean you have to put your dog in a carrier / cage on public transport?
Old Nov 7th 2009, 11:35 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again for the useful info.. Do they really mean you have to put your dog in a carrier / cage on public transport?
Looks that way for their website (link). I think they allow guide dogs though, so get a white stick and pretend.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 11:43 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

ask emma:

[ATTACH]86994
Attached Thumbnails How dog friendly is Vancouver?-dsc00334.jpg  
Old Nov 8th 2009, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Looks that way for their website (link). I think they allow guide dogs though, so get a white stick and pretend.
Oh dear that's me not being able to use public transport with the dogs then looks more problematic than London
Old Nov 8th 2009, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by dboy
ask emma:

[ATTACH]86994
That kind of sums it up then

Old Nov 8th 2009, 5:13 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

You can really only take small dogs on transit. I take mine in a dog purse.

I've never seen a medium or large dog on transit unless it was a guide dog.

Agree with the comments about renting - my advice is to find pet-friendly rental buildings. There used to be a list online, try googling it. Some private landlords will let you rent with pets with an extra pet deposit.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 6:04 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
You can really only take small dogs on transit. I take mine in a dog purse.

I've never seen a medium or large dog on transit unless it was a guide dog.

Agree with the comments about renting - my advice is to find pet-friendly rental buildings. There used to be a list online, try googling it. Some private landlords will let you rent with pets with an extra pet deposit.
A dog purse!!! Hahaha, what a concept.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 6:09 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

DUDE.

Dog purses are the shizz. The shizz, man. There's whole boutiques dedicated dog purses, organic home-made baked dog cookies, little carts to push them round in when they're tired, dog car seats, dog toilets, etc. etc

The purse is really cute. AND it's padded for the Canadian winter, har.

I clip his collar into inside and he sticks his head out the front....very Yaletown
Old Nov 8th 2009, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
DUDE.

Dog purses are the shizz. The shizz, man. There's whole boutiques dedicated dog purses, organic home-made baked dog cookies, little carts to push them round in when they're tired, dog car seats, dog toilets, etc. etc

The purse is really cute. AND it's padded for the Canadian winter, har.

I clip his collar into inside and he sticks his head out the front....very Yaletown
You are paris hilton AICMFP
Old Nov 8th 2009, 6:21 pm

I would not be able to carry Mouse in a bag too heavy Badger had one when she was a tiny pup but she was not keen..

Looks like I will be walking everywhere and not taking the bus..

I guess it's a good thing about London dogs are allowed on buses / trains and the tube..

Unless I get a motorbike there then they can go in their Roadhound as below

Old Nov 8th 2009, 6:23 pm

I would not be able to carry Mouse in a bag too heavy Badger had one when she was a tiny pup but she was not keen..

Looks like I will be walking everywhere and not taking the bus..

I guess it's a good thing about London dogs are allowed on buses / trains and the tube..

Unless I get a motorbike there then they can go in their Roadhound as below

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/q...g?t=1257707837
You can take them on ferries if that's any consolation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.