Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How does Nova Scotia measure up?

How does Nova Scotia measure up?

Old May 7th 2007, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

moonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nice
Default Re: How does Nova Scotia measure up?

Originally Posted by cornish pasty
I haven't been to NS but hope to get there for a couple of weeks later this year. I was in Vancouver last week and it rained rained rained. I live in Cornwall - I'm used to rain but it doesn't mean I like it. It's not so much the rain but the colour of the sky. Hence the interest in NS. I think I'd prefer cold and bright although I've never experienced -10, it sounds painful.

Moonraker, thanks for report, interesting reading.
Today the sun has come out and temperatures are steadily rising. When it is sunny with blue skies you can't beat it whatever the temps. I don't like rain and grey skies either but here the wind can bite into your bones like nowhere else I have lived. There is stuff on the net about weather patterns for NS and you can of course keep track of the 5 day forecast if you are really interested. Good luck and enjoy your time here
Old May 7th 2007, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

moonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nice

Originally Posted by Halifax harpie
As always, a good level headed posting. Not many people can state the facts so clearly, warts and all.
Enjoy the rest of your stay here and have a good trip back to UK. Hopefully see you back in NS again soon
cheers Harpie
Old May 7th 2007, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Karen1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by moonraker
Hi Karen1

Many thanks for your feedback. It would never be our intention to put people off coming to NS - just to attempt to provide a realistic viewpoint. Nova Scotia is beautiful and has many of the elements you require but if weather is an issue for you then Vancouver is probably a better bet.

Our very best wishes to you on wherever you decide to settle. Keep us posted
Hi Moonraker

You certainly haven't put us off NS, but you have provided us with some food for thought.

When making such a big move it is important that we make the right decision. In July we will be in Canada for a month visiting Calgary, Banff and Lake Louise, places we have visited in Summer and this Winter. We're also going to Kelowna, Vancouver and wherever else we end up.

We value your update because it puts things into perspective and makes us wanna be canadians research, research and research. Weather is not the most important thing on our moving list - isolation doesn't really bother us either, but with two growing lads we need to consider work opportunities for them and us (we both teach) and things for them to do all year round.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your week and the weather is kind to you.

Have a safe journey back and keep us updated on where you eventually settle in Canada.

Take care

Karen
Old May 7th 2007, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice

Hi Moonraker

Mill Cove is really the Blandford Peninsula and is the cheapest part of the region- that should tell you what the sort of people living there are. Fishing people tend to live off welfare benefits these days- they only have to work 13 weeks and they have the unique benefit of getting unemployment benefits the rest of the year.

The peninsula is really a dog patch and not a great area. Did you travel around it and after Deep Cove see the awful squalid houses there? Don't know why the social workers haven't been there to get the children out of that terrible lifestyle. You have had a couple of months though - so hope you checked out elsewhere.

I do live in Halifax and despite a rise in gas prices we only pay about $60 a month for gas because we do not have to travel far for anything. People we know who live outside Halifax spend up to $ 400 a month for travelling. Yes my house taxes are big but working in the Downtown means even coming from the other side of the harbour I would have to pay for bridge tokens- so the saving of money for that, gas and time spent travelling- it takes us 4 minutes to get to work- is a great thing.

There are many people here who do not like the peninsula but I do - great access to the university for children, the best schools in the province, movie theatres, Neptune theatre, Rebecca Cohn concert hall, Dalplex, Metro Centre, Point Pleasant Park- all these are things that are good for the winter and all within easy walking distance. My children never drove cars until they left Nova Scotia because there was no need to - even bikes for a quick trip to a friend.

Despite my positive perception of Nova Scotia it is not necessarily my choice of living but I would not live anywhere in Canada. We came for the cold weather skiing- being a qualified ski instructor it seemed a great place but the ski resorts here are nowhere near as nice as my European places and even then too cold hanging out on the ski lifts. And NO decent restaurants or wine .

But Nova Scotia is an affordable place to live and does have work for professionals and trades people. It also has one of the better climates in Canada. Hope you can find a good place that will suit you and I wish I had been able to do what you are doing now; checking out before you move is very sensible.

Good Luck
Old May 7th 2007, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Liana
Hi Moonraker.
The peninsula is really a dog patch and not a great area. Did you travel around it and after Deep Cove see the awful squalid houses there? Don't know why the social workers haven't been there to get the children out of that terrible lifestyle. You have had a couple of months though - so hope you checked out elsewhere.
Good Luck
I'm sure the owner of where we are staying would be delighted to hear her $600000 house is located in a dog patch

I would suggest the area is quite mixed with some poor quality places, some average and some really beautiful ocean front properties one of which we happen to be staying in!
Old May 7th 2007, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

High numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure the owner of where we are staying would be delighted to hear her $600000 house is located in a dog patch

I would suggest the area is quite mixed with some poor quality places, some average and some really beautiful ocean front properties one of which we happen to be staying in!

Any good pictures you could share?
Old May 7th 2007, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by High numbers
Any good pictures you could share?
What do you think?

http://www.chester-properties.com/captainwallace.htm
Old May 7th 2007, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

High numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond repute

What a view to wake up to each morning! Lucky you I bet you wish you could stay longer. Thanks for the updates. A worthwhile read that tells it as it is and not what the tourist board would tell you.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old May 7th 2007, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice

Yes, that is a dog patch- a combination of very poor areas with very nice ones. I know a couple of people who live on that peninsula but they are not in the poor rural areas either. Blandford Peninsula is the cheapest area around there- East River is becoming more expensive now as Chester popularity has moved on to East Chester and now to East River, the top of the peninsula the Chester side; perhaps in 20 years it will be as expensive as Chester also. There are some new developments coming up because it has not been popular in the past few years and the land is quite affordable but still not a place to live if you want to travel every day into Halifax. But it could be a good investment.
Old May 7th 2007, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Liana
Yes, that is a dog patch- a combination of very poor areas with very nice ones.
Sorry - this was my undestanding of the term:

Urbandictionary.com

Dog Patch - an isolated place where families intergrate, or interbreed.

My cousin is my brother, its a dog patch thing.

or from wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_Patch
Old May 7th 2007, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

The realtors introduced me to that word when we first moved here- their definition, so I have maintained that. I suppose it is because the areas here are mixed because of the size of the population- not enough people to upgrade a community sometimes.
Old May 8th 2007, 8:12 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

but if weather is an issue for you then Vancouver is probably a better bet.
our first winter in 98 in Vancouver we stood at the windows on day 80 of rain and wondered why the locals dont have webbed hands and feet!

swings and roundabouts.
Old May 8th 2007, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

NovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really nice

Hi moonraker

Thanks for the update. Another great read. I have been keeping up to date with your posts over the last few months with great interest.

We fly out on the 24th May from Newcastle to Toronto. We are staying with my brother for the first couple of weeks then driving up to Nova Scotia. Intend to be in NS by 18th June.

Then reality will hit home!

Enjoy the remainder of you hols and glad to hear the weather is warming up for you!

Take care.

Old May 8th 2007, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NovaBoy
Hi moonraker

Thanks for the update. Another great read. I have been keeping up to date with your posts over the last few months with great interest.

We fly out on the 24th May from Newcastle to Toronto. We are staying with my brother for the first couple of weeks then driving up to Nova Scotia. Intend to be in NS by 18th June.

Then reality will hit home!

Enjoy the remainder of you hols and glad to hear the weather is warming up for you!

Take care.

Hi Novaboy

Do you know where you are going to live in NS yet? Wouldn't want you buying a house in a dog patch now would we tee hee? Seriously the best of luck to you and your family and I look forward to hearing your experiences once you land.
Old May 8th 2007, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

NovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really nice

Hi Novaboy

Do you know where you are going to live in NS yet?

Not sure where we're going to settle yet, intend to rent for the first 6 months or so!

Wouldn't want you buying a house in a dog patch now would we tee hee?

If I did, would I have to get a dog?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.