Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How does life in Canada compare to the UK

How does life in Canada compare to the UK

Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:11 am
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of
Default Re: How does life in Canada compare to the UK

Originally Posted by hawkman
If you're happy is a parent for these topics to form part of your child's primary years schooling then fine.

As parents my wife and I are not.

Teaching children about sex and relationships gay, stright or otherwise is not healthy at five. We are quite happy for our child to be taught about such matters when she is old enough to put them into some form of context.

As for global warming, it's an unproven theory, and therefore we object to it being taught as fact.

The upshot of all these Psuedo subjects is that a third of all British School children leave primary school having failed to master the 3 R's, and a third of all British employers complain that school leavers lack basic skills in Enland Maths.

I won't be responding to any more of your posts, if you have your opinions we have ours. End of discussion.
Sorry, but couldn't help pointing out that 3 R's [sic] is incorrect grammar....

You may be disappointed too with the education in Canada as I'm sure there your children will also learn about relationships, climate change and other trendy subjects. Just as long as they aren't taught creationalism.

As for my family, we'll be trying to take the opportunity of available and relatively low cost Montissori education for our children... but they learn through play and discovery rather than having a very formal "hardcore" education.

Manchester really has its positive aspects - in many ways it's a great city. However, I wouldn't choose to live there and indeed I left 13 years ago.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:32 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

My family and I are considering making the great move north to Canada.
North? The bits of Canada almost everyone lives in are well south of anywhere in the UK.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

One thing in regards to Toronto is that I have noticed this year is that crime is happening more in areas that I go to, for example: the stabbing in Bloor/Lansdowne (walk through sometimes), Roncesvalles (was there yesterday), College Park (would move there if it wasn't so expensive) and 2 incidents in Yorkdale this year.

Before it was more confined to certain areas and you knew to avoid them. I am talking from my own personal viewpoint but it really makes you think because last week I could have easily been walking through Bloor/Lansdowne on a weekday afternoon, scary thought with a 2 year old.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:19 pm
Will work for shoes.....

wonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, We moved in Jan07, and live just outside of Calgary, we have a boy who's just 5, so will be entering the school system this August.........First impressions of his school, really friendly teachers, nice school, they have there own computer suite and video conferencing suite..all mod cons etc etc, But, as with many schools in the UK, they are suffering from a surge in the population and many more kids enrolling, more kids to a class then they would like, cramped conditions(they had to make classes smaller to steal space to put in a new class) Also as they start later here, be prepared for expensive childcare costs, there are cheaper childcare placements out there, but it does seem you get what you pay for!

In general, we find Calgary as expensive to live in as the town we came from in the UK, so are no better off financially.

Do we regret coming? NO.... We do have a better standard of living, as in we have more time together as a family, my older son is thriving at school here, as opposed to always in trouble in the UK, we have found the people we've met to be polite and friendly (have had one or two negative comments from people but thats another thread!). It is hard, but life is generally good.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:28 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

...As for global warming, it's an unproven theory, and therefore we object to it being taught as fact...
A bit like evolution eh?
Old Apr 21st 2008, 4:33 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
A bit like evolution eh?
I though he was going to Alberta....

he should fit right in....
Old Apr 21st 2008, 5:59 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

I won't be responding to any more of your posts, if you have your opinions we have ours. End of discussion.
Hah. That's what you think.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
A bit like evolution eh?
There's a vast amount of evidence for evolution. There's very little evidence for human-created global warming, and the scientific backlash against the global warming hysteria is growing rapidly.

There are plenty of good reasons for reducing reliance on fossil fuels; 'global warming' isn't one of them.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
There's a vast amount of evidence for evolution. There's very little evidence for human-created global warming, and the scientific backlash against the global warming hysteria is growing rapidly.

There are plenty of good reasons for reducing reliance on fossil fuels; 'global warming' isn't one of them.
I thought it was almost a consensus amongst the scientific community now that it exists and it is just political types still dragging their heels.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 6:33 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by G586
I thought it was almost a consensus amongst the scientific community now that it exists and it is just political types still dragging their heels.
That's about the size of it:

http://www.pik-potsdam.de/members/we...eclaration.pdf
Old Apr 21st 2008, 6:50 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G586
the odd sceptic does go to the press now and again, but its mostly to raise interest and then grant money..
The oil/automotive industry will pay well for anything that could get it off the Hook or avoid heftier taxes in the future

just another link to show that the scientific worlds main view point http://environment.newscientist.com/home.ns

Last edited by MikeUK; Apr 21st 2008 at 6:52 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 10:02 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I though he was going to Alberta....

he should fit right in....
True, so true.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

hawkman will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bigstar14
Is this a Canada forum or a UK education big-it-up site?
My thoughts exactly which is why I haven't responded to any further posts on this matter.

To everyone else who has made a helpfull contribution; Thank you.

Any further experiences or advise would be very welcome.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 7:39 am
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

My thoughts exactly which is why I haven't responded to any further posts on this matter.

actually i wasnt aware we were ' bigging it up' just stating OUR opinions in response to YOUR opinions - but hmmm I guess your opinion is ok and ours are not - coz you werent ' slagging it off ' it was just us ' bigging it up'
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 8:53 am
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

My experience is that British Expats contributors don't really like slagging off either Canada or the UK and are extremely wary of Daily Mail readers.

Hence, my advice would be to be careful of the language that you use to avoid getting peoples' backs up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.