Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How does this country survive?

How does this country survive?

Old Nov 28th 2006, 7:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does this country survive?

Originally Posted by Suzie
Shop assistants who treat you like they're doing you a favour just by serving you?
Frankly, I was so delighted to meet English speaking people in service jobs (even in petrol stations) that I didn't care what attitude they had. I was able to conduct transactions without hand gestures and having to draw what I wanted and I loved that. England's a bit homogenous but my that makes life convenient.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 7:18 pm
Lone Brit

Suzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by printer
Reading to Portsmouth? You must have passed my house.

Reading is an awful place to get in and out of during rush hour or any Saturday near Christmas.
Having said that most of the routes around the surrounding towns are gridlocked on a daily basis. Yet they keep squeezing in more houses to keep up with the governments figures and Thames Water like to keep us all on our toes by randomly digging up sections of road.
I have a theory that the Oracle shopping centre is actually the tenth circle of hell.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 7:19 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Reading to Portsmouth? You must have passed my house.
Yes of course. Didn't you see me waving?

I can recall crossing the M4 and looking down at the stationary queue of traffic londonbound and thinking 'Thank Christ I am not heading that way!'
Old Nov 28th 2006, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Oh definately. In UK one can buy vehicles with things that are generally an anathema to North Americans. You know, stuff like handling and styling!
Having worked in the European car industry for the last 10 years, I completely agree. North American automobiles are, almost without exception, wheeled excrement.

Arguably used cars are also cheaper in UK too.
I don't think there's any arguing about it.

New ones can be cheaper in Canada (especially Alberta). And the fuel is cheaper (although finding 98RON fuel is rather more troublesome).

K.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 7:22 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
You must be better served down there, Ontario doesn't really have geography but Newfoundland does, there must be a bend on the rock somewhere.
Yes indeedy, hence this event
http://www.targanewfoundland.com/home.asp being held. Actually the major routes are falling apart (cos the govt closed down all the truck weighstations so overloaded trucks of frozen fish wreak havoc with the road surface) but there are some interesting twisty bits 'Around the bay' Damn near killed myself on one in an icestorm last winter but that's another story.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
That is one hell of a job-creation scheme. I wonder what the job title would be?
Outreach coordinator.

K.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 7:23 pm
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by kt0157
Having worked in the European car industry for the last 10 years, I completely agree. North American automobiles are, almost without exception, wheeled excrement.
K.
Oh do tell more. I worked for Uncle Henry 90-01.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suzie
I have a theory that the Oracle shopping centre is actually the tenth circle of hell.
I assume you have been there then.
It's all very nice but so busy. It's a far cry from the old Butts Centre which was really grim.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Yes of course. Didn't you see me waving?

I can recall crossing the M4 and looking down at the stationary queue of traffic londonbound and thinking 'Thank Christ I am not heading that way!'
Yeah i was in the traffic looking up thinking, B*st*rd.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 7:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It's all very nice but so busy. It's a far cry from the old Butts Centre which was really grim.
I bought a vase at the Oracle place in 2004, a hurried birthday present. That shopping centre, and the new bits of Reading generally, are very similar to most of the inhabited bits of Canada. If it was colder in Reading it would be Calgary, if there were more Italians it would be Vaughan, if there were more Indians and Chinese it'd be Vancouver.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh do tell more. I worked for Uncle Henry 90-01.
Supplier to a supplier to various OEMs. Mostly in the electronics and software engineering side. Mostly Swedish and German, though we did do some work for MGR. Got paid, too, which is more than some can say. Poor Rover. RIP.

K.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mrs Madmac
Oh yes AND cars that don't lock you out of them!
If you're in the UK and want that experience, buy a BMW. Stupid things: throw your jacket in the boot, slam the lid, look for keys, find out they are in the (now locked) boot.

K.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 7:46 pm
Lone Brit

Suzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to all

I've been there once, sat in two-hour traffic jams on the M4 because of everyone turning off at Reading several times.

Yes, it is nice once you get in there.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

LOL at this thread, especially dbd33's pictures of sheep shagging and horse butts! Now it's gone completely off at a tangent!
Old Nov 28th 2006, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Pearly_Spencer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Vick
My Mrs and I are going back to UK but thought I would pose this question anyway.

How does Canada work the way it does and not disintegrate into a 3rd world country?

The following things have happened to me since I got here, and I have only been here 5 months.

And I will just mention the cloak and dagger secret society - unions, you have to have shared the same womb with someone, before anyone will give you a decent job if you are not Canadian. How come the half decent jobs never go to an immigrant, but all the jobs that require you to say "Is that for here or to go?" welcome immigrants with open arms?

Why are the Canadian government and the TV stations saying that they are desperate for well educated, skilled workers when the actual companies are ignoring them?

You ask about getting a 6CD auto changer for your car and the technician look at you like you have just asked to be transported to the Star ship Enterprise. They respond " we don't do them here, they are in the future". My God!

Traffic - oh yes lets talk about that little one. 3 or 4 roundabouts in Kitchener/Waterloo. Having come from the UK, I felt confident about using them. Until I realised that Canadians do not know any of their own rules of the road. The main 1 being what an upside down triangle is. It's not hard, it is the same in every country GIVE WAY! Now I approach any roundabout here like I was trying to drive a double decker bus painted with the Union Jack flag on it round the Arc de Triomphe with a big sign saying "Up your's Frenchies". :scared: Going round a roundabout here is like sticking your penis in a lion's mouth and then flicking his love spuds with a wet towel.

Canadian traffic surveys found that roundabouts cut emissions, reduce congestion etc but they still slap traffic lights on every 3rd metre of road. No wonder it takes 4 hours to get to the local shops.

Why do pedestrians keep getting run over? Well lets see. In most civilised countries if a pedestrian is crossing the road then no other traffic will be. You wait for the little man telling you to walk and you calmly step out. Here, you get told to walk into the road when traffic can have a green light. To coin a phrase - "It's just an accident waiting to happen".

Right, rant over. I'm out of breath. Just waiting for all the arguments coming back. I know what's wrong with the UK so I am formulating a plan to fix it when I get back:

Oh , hang on, I think I have just listed the election manifesto of the BNP!

Right, you can call me all you want.

"Come and have a go if you think you're 'ard enough"

P.S. Can someone create a Canadian national identity and culture so that they don't have to use the American ones. Oh my God. Please.
                        Excellent post. Couldn't agree more. Been here for 32 years and couldn't stand the place most of that time. What with a lengthy/chronic family illness, daughters reaching school age/university age almost before I knew it and now grandchildren, I've not moved back but, upon retirement next year, you'll not see me for dust, it's 'get outta Dodge' time.

Think yourself lucky you're not in Edmonton, -30 outside and when you factor in something called 'windchill' it's closer to - fu cking 40!! Then there's always the moron-wannabe-macho-cowboy type at the office you just has to say (always with the stupid grin on his mongrel face) 'Cold enough fer ya?' followed by the inevitable 'Eh?' <----- Alberta humour and culture.

In the immortal words of Reginald Maudling 'Give me a scotch, make it a double -- what a fu cking awful country!!'.

Last edited by Pearly_Spencer; Nov 28th 2006 at 10:30 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.