Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How does this country survive?

How does this country survive?

Old Nov 28th 2006, 5:24 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How does this country survive?

Originally Posted by dbd33
I thought the head gear very WW2 Germany. They're liability crazy in the UK; must ride in a helmet, must not carry a camera for fear of falling, must not venture into the barn, blah, blah, blah. In the US they're much more relaxed about that sort of thing.
The health & safety thing in the UK does seem to have got out of hand.

My reference to the French was because of the letters on the back of the rider's helmet, BTW. Perhaps a little obscure unless one has been caught up in a riot in France.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 5:28 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default What is it

What is it with dbd33's apparent obsessive need to post pictures of horse's arses?
Old Nov 28th 2006, 5:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir

My reference to the French was because of the letters on the back of the rider's helmet, BTW. Perhaps a little obscure unless one has been caught up in a riot in France.
I wondered. The guide with her helmet and dark clothes did look like one of the police you see on the station platforms in Paris strutting around waving their guns.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 5:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is it

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
What is it with dbd33's apparent obsessive need to post pictures of horse's arses?
Souvenir didn't like the picture with tits. Still, here's something different from the trip.
Attached Thumbnails How does this country survive?-000_0050.jpg   How does this country survive?-000_0053.jpg  
Old Nov 28th 2006, 5:38 pm

He did live with a Newf for some years. Maybe there is a connection.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, on the one semi snowy day we had here in the south last winter the kids were told by their headmaster "no throwing snowballs" it might hurt somebody. And most of the playground was out of bounds in case they fell on the ice. This is senior school by the way not kindergarten!
Old Nov 28th 2006, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the head gear very WW2 Germany. They're liability crazy in the UK; must ride in a helmet, must not carry a camera for fear of falling, must not venture into the barn, blah, blah, blah. In the US they're much more relaxed about that sort of thing.
You should go horse riding in NZ: wading through a very wide river post rain-storm and the guide said "I don't think we'll get swept away..".

K.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 5:42 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

He did live with a Newf for some years. Maybe there is a connection.
Steady on old Chap!

I appreciate the need for privacy/anonymity but lovely pics of stunning scenery with riders and horses from t'rear and all that. Although perhaps given the aforesaid H&S instruction not to take a camera perhaps it was the only way for a sneaky pic?
Old Nov 28th 2006, 5:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by kt0157
You should go horse riding in NZ: wading through a very wide river post rain-storm and the guide said "I don't think we'll get swept away..".

K.

I would certainly like to try that and I have an almost infinite supply of flyer points; it's just time that's the problem.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 5:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Although perhaps given the aforesaid H&S instruction not to take a camera perhaps it was the only way for a sneaky pic?
Yes.

(And I like horse butts).
Old Nov 28th 2006, 5:47 pm

Souvenir didn't like the picture with tits.
Eh? I have it as my screensaver.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by printer
Yep, on the one semi snowy day we had here in the south last winter the kids were told by their headmaster "no throwing snowballs" it might hurt somebody. And most of the playground was out of bounds in case they fell on the ice. This is senior school by the way not kindergarten!
At my stepson's high school the students are banned from taking in anything containing peanuts because one student, out of hundreds, has an allergy.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

I would certainly like to try that and I have an almost infinite supply of flyer points; it's just time that's the problem.
Ride from Glenorchy if you can (close to Queenstown). A whole day ride with picnic in the panniers is great and the scenery is spectacular. The second best ride of my life*.

K.

*The best ride of my life was in southern Spain in the Alpujarras and I think I'll die before ever doing something so great again: my first time ever on horseback, we went up to the Sierras and I could see Africa across the Med.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 6:21 pm
Lone Brit

Suzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to all

Wow - good luck with the traffic, customer service, and old boys' network in England. Because things are so much better over there

Originally Posted by Vick
My Mrs and I are going back to UK but thought I would pose this question anyway.

How does Canada work the way it does and not disintegrate into a 3rd world country?

The following things have happened to me since I got here, and I have only been here 5 months.

And I will just mention the cloak and dagger secret society - unions, you have to have shared the same womb with someone, before anyone will give you a decent job if you are not Canadian. How come the half decent jobs never go to an immigrant, but all the jobs that require you to say "Is that for here or to go?" welcome immigrants with open arms?

Why are the Canadian government and the TV stations saying that they are desperate for well educated, skilled workers when the actual companies are ignoring them?

You ask about getting a 6CD auto changer for your car and the technician look at you like you have just asked to be transported to the Star ship Enterprise. They respond " we don't do them here, they are in the future". My God!

Traffic - oh yes lets talk about that little one. 3 or 4 roundabouts in Kitchener/Waterloo. Having come from the UK, I felt confident about using them. Until I realised that Canadians do not know any of their own rules of the road. The main 1 being what an upside down triangle is. It's not hard, it is the same in every country GIVE WAY! Now I approach any roundabout here like I was trying to drive a double decker bus painted with the Union Jack flag on it round the Arc de Triomphe with a big sign saying "Up your's Frenchies". :scared: Going round a roundabout here is like sticking your penis in a lion's mouth and then flicking his love spuds with a wet towel.

Canadian traffic surveys found that roundabouts cut emissions, reduce congestion etc but they still slap traffic lights on every 3rd metre of road. No wonder it takes 4 hours to get to the local shops.

Why do pedestrians keep getting run over? Well lets see. In most civilised countries if a pedestrian is crossing the road then no other traffic will be. You wait for the little man telling you to walk and you calmly step out. Here, you get told to walk into the road when traffic can have a green light. To coin a phrase - "It's just an accident waiting to happen".

Right, rant over. I'm out of breath. Just waiting for all the arguments coming back. I know what's wrong with the UK so I am formulating a plan to fix it when I get back:

Oh , hang on, I think I have just listed the election manifesto of the BNP!

Right, you can call me all you want.

"Come and have a go if you think you're 'ard enough"

P.S. Can someone create a Canadian national identity and culture so that they don't have to use the American ones. Oh my God. Please.
                        Old Nov 28th 2006, 6:39 pm
                        BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Suzie
                        Wow - good luck with the traffic, customer service, and old boys' network in England. Because things are so much better over there
                        I have to say, I've never experienced an old boys' network in the UK. Perhaps if I'd tried to join a golf club that might have been an issue.

Customer service? Well, we can all find terrible examples in both countries. I've not been impressed by Canada's overall consumer protection laws. But the flouting of the laws by the likes of British Gas isn't much help either.

Traffic. Ah yes. Traffic in the UK is just awful. Way too many cars for the roads, with no significant road investment since the early 1990s. Some of the cross-country journeys I used to do in the early 1990s are now signficantly slower 10-15 years later.

K.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.