British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   How does this country survive? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/how-does-country-survive-410504/)

dbd33 Nov 28th 2006 4:39 pm

Re: How does this country survive?

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Calgal
Oh god not the land of concrete cows! Don't go there, it's the UK's "Burmuda triangle" - you may never be seen again :D

I must. We just spent two weeks looking for these chavs, neds and scallies what have overrun the country and the worst we could find was this fellow.
I want to see the grim post-industrial wasteland above the M25.

dbd33 Nov 28th 2006 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Milton Keynes..... A graveyard, with traffic lights. ;)

I worked there on and off in 2003/2004. I met Lou Ferrigno (sp?) who seemed as lost as I felt.

Calgal Nov 28th 2006 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
the worst we could find was this fellow.

Well, he looks like a real trouble maker to me! :D

Atlantic Xpat Nov 28th 2006 4:48 pm

I must. We just spent two weeks looking for these chavs, neds and scallies what have overrun the country and the worst we could find was this fellow.
I want to see the grim post-industrial wasteland above the M25.

IIRC your travels in UK were taking you to Hastings and Dartmoor? Hardly the right places to look for post-industrial wasteland or Chavdom.

My travels OTOH took me to Maidenhead, various parts of Essex, Suffolk, a rather nice part of Derbyshire and a part of Staffordshire that wasn't Stoke on Trent. My Chavdom quotient was filled within 24 hrs of stepping off the plane!

Mountain Girl Nov 28th 2006 5:00 pm

QUOTE(Now I approach any roundabout here like I was trying to drive a double decker bus painted with the Union Jack flag on it round the Arc de Triomphe with a big sign saying "Up your's Frenchies". Going round a roundabout here is like sticking your penis in a lion's mouth and then flicking his love spuds with a wet towel.) QUOTE

Hilarious............... eloquently put ....................... He would love Milton Keynes 300 or more roundabouts

Tegwyn Nov 28th 2006 5:03 pm

I had a good laugh at this thread. :D :D That dour miserable attitude does wonders for opening doors in a new environment. There are a few English couples here that are having a rough time of it, and I really wish I could record their comments and expressions to enlighten them as to why they are experiencing such negative feedback. They lived in Canada and hated that, then moved to the U.S. and hate that purely because the new country is not like home! Duh!! :zzz:

Calgal Nov 28th 2006 5:04 pm

IIRC your travels in UK were taking you to Hastings and Dartmoor? Hardly the right places to look for post-industrial wasteland or Chavdom.

My travels OTOH took me to Maidenhead, various parts of Essex, Suffolk, a rather nice part of Derbyshire and a part of Staffordshire that wasn't Stoke on Trent. My Chavdom quotient was filled within 24 hrs of stepping off the plane!

LOL - sadly for me, I would only have to visit my brothers house (he lives with in-laws in Mitcham innit), I hasten to add though - I NEVER will again - once was enough :eek:

Souvenir Nov 28th 2006 5:05 pm

My Chavdom quotient was filled within 24 hrs of stepping off the plane!

This presumably explains why you have chosen a crowbar as your avatar.

Rich_007 Nov 28th 2006 5:05 pm

I really must go there, or as far up as say Milton Keynes, wherever it starts getting rough.

The Impoverished North of England officially starts midway into Cheshire on the M6....draw a line across to the same northern point on the M1, connect the dots and go explore northernness.
:o

Rich.

dbd33 Nov 28th 2006 5:06 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Yeah, well Maidenhead's for the hard men, we're not quite up for that. I believe Hastings leads Europe in teenage births though, you'd think some of these mothers would have dangling clowns and big earrings.

Dartmoor did provide the post-industrial bit, with the tailings and crumbling mine works it looks a lot like Colorado. This is an old wheel house (whatever that is):

Souvenir Nov 28th 2006 5:10 pm

Yeah, well Maidenhead's for the hard men, we're not quite up for that. I believe Hastings leads Europe in teenage births though, you'd think some of these mothers would have dangling clowns and big earrings.

Dartmoor did provide the post-industrial bit, with the tailings and crumbling mine works it looks a lot like Colorado. This is an old wheel house (whatever that is):

Do all riders on Dartmoor need to be accompanied by the French riot police?

dbd33 Nov 28th 2006 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Do all riders on Dartmoor need to be accompanied by the French riot police?

I thought the head gear very WW2 Germany. They're liability crazy in the UK; must ride in a helmet, must not carry a camera for fear of falling, must not venture into the barn, blah, blah, blah. In the US they're much more relaxed about that sort of thing.

Madmac Nov 28th 2006 5:16 pm

Absolutely, totally, undeniably hilarious and subversively true.

A classic "Kick the door open, throw in a grenade and wait for the dust to settle' post.

The Political Correctness element on here always amuses me, but then again I'm cro-magnon in my sense of humour.

As that intellectual thinker Buffy the Vampire Slayer once said: "Fire bad, tree nice." get a life. :p

Calgal Nov 28th 2006 5:16 pm

That be a Tin Mine, me dear.

dbd33 Nov 28th 2006 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Calgal
That be a Tin Mine, me dear.

"Silver lead" innit?