Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How does this country survive?

How does this country survive?

Old Dec 5th 2006, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does this country survive?

Originally Posted by Sorbz62
Stop this now. I have nothing against immigration. I support our Forces in Iraq and Afghanistan (oops, that's another issue!) who, rightly or wrongly are trying to give other countries and peoples the kind of democracy we enjoy here - and I know we do.
Anyway, let's agree to disagree.
Aren't we Brits illegal immigrants in Iraq? I say this as I don't ever recall that we were invited.

Its impressive that you have knowledge of Pashtu or whatever it is- after all as you will be sadly leaving these shores its obviously important we replace your skills with perhaps a native Pashtu speaker - upskilling in that direction can't be a bad thing.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 12:19 am
Just Joined

Sorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really nice

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf42
Aren't we Brits illegal immigrants in Iraq? I say this as I don't ever recall that we were invited.

Its impressive that you have knowledge of Pashtu or whatever it is- after all as you will be sadly leaving these shores its obviously important we replace your skills with perhaps a native Pashtu speaker - upskilling in that direction can't be a bad thing.
Are we illegal immigrants in Iraq - do you not support our glorious Government in its support of the American way in Iraq and Afghanistan - you heathen you!!!

Sorry, I can feel sarcasm from your corner but have you not read my other messages. I wanted to express my interest in discussing these issues and not be taken literally. In fact, do you know where Pashtu is spoken - I bet you don't (cue Google search for Pashtu - roots and linguistic morphology)
Old Dec 6th 2006, 6:28 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
Do the Canadian ones have Tim Hortons donuts under each door?

Now i could get used to that.
Maple chocolates.. you know, like Cadbury's chocolates with the crunchy bits init?

Oh fine... I'm fibbing but hey, I'd buy it if they sold it!
Old Dec 6th 2006, 6:40 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yodiyokun
I think immigrats face the same situations in most countries.
I came into the UK on a HSMP scheme about 5 months ago, It took me about 4 months to get a half decent paying job, everyone wants Uk experience or Uk qualifications or the local knowledge, my husband got a good job with a bank only for the bank to change their minds..and thats after they both had signed a contract, they paid him a week salary for the inconvinence - no reasons given.
To make matters worse Mr Liam bryme(Immigration minister) decided to make the process of getting further leave on HSMP impossible for anyone above 30 years who earned less than 35k p.a. Most people had to take crazy cuts to salary just to get the so called Uk experience. A lot of the interviews I attended, I was over qualified for in the employers words.
I wonder how the Homeoffice expects people to go back to their home countries abruptly after they have sold all with no jobs to go back to.
Labour is doing this just to show the voters they are doing something about immigration when there are less than 50,000 people on HSMP visa in contrast to millions of illegal immigrants.

At least in canada you get Permanent residency and even if you want to go back home you can do so at your pace.
So every labour market protects its own, thats just the way it is

My canadian immigration process was started 5 years ago and its getting close to the PPr stage..hopefully!!!! and I honestly cant wait to leave UK.
I have enjoyed my stay here galivanting the country to attend interviews but at serious cost, and I would rather face the problems in canada knowing that it wont last forever rather than staying in Uk where immigration policies keep changing everyday as I am not interested in becoming an illegal immigrant.
HA! What they said is what I been trying to say all along... READ ^^^^^ and quit your moaning or we'll just ban British immigrants so they don't bring rain and deppresion to the fair Canadian border.... (and we'll keep our damn snow thankyouverymuch)

And with that, I will go and have myself a nice saucy poutine... chips cheese & gravy eh? Who'd of thought! Mmmm
Old Dec 6th 2006, 6:45 am
Senile Member

Good day to you "senior baiter taker" I see you've made your own changes now.
You might even call him a "Master"
Old Dec 6th 2006, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daedra
You might even call him a "Master"
Sometimes you go too far Daedra....

Read any good books lately?
Old Dec 6th 2006, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

And with that, I will go and have myself a nice saucy poutine... chips cheese & gravy eh? Who'd of thought! Mmmm
This is typical of the slack attitude undermining Canadian culture. It's curds, not cheese.

K.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 5:23 pm
Senile Member

Originally Posted by steve666
Sometimes you go too far Daedra....

Read any good books lately?
Moi? *innocent* Nevah... but KT's not baiting you anymore so it worked
Old Dec 7th 2006, 5:26 pm
Senile Member

Originally Posted by kt0157
This is typical of the slack attitude undermining Canadian culture. It's curds, not cheese.

K.
I know but try and find curds in North West England

Grated Mozzerella is my susbistute, mum sends 'care packs' of St-Hubert Poutine gravy sauce mix... Asdas does some nice thin "American Style" chips/french fries.. add a bit of mozzerella on top, nuke for 1 minute on high and voila.... gorge yourself on high fat content chips cheese & gravy, close your eyes and you can almost imagine the Lafleurs and Belle Province restaurants wafting out the smell of dirty deep fryer oil
Old Dec 7th 2006, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Grated Mozzerella is my susbistute, mum sends 'care packs' of St-Hubert Poutine gravy sauce mix... Asdas does some nice thin "American Style" chips/french fries.. add a bit of mozzerella on top, nuke for 1 minute on high and voila.... gorge yourself on high fat content chips cheese & gravy, close your eyes and you can almost imagine the Lafleurs and Belle Province restaurants wafting out the smell of dirty deep fryer oil

Sounds darn right disgusting to me.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 7:31 pm
Senile Member

Sounds darn right disgusting to me.
Not at all, are you a fan of chips & curry or chips & gravy? If so, you'll LOVE this stuff... already converted my English partner into a out and out Poutine lover, should see his eyes light up when I offer to make us Poutine for supper Everytime we visit Canada we have to go to Topaze restaurant near mums house and get ourselves poutine Mmmmmm

Cheesy joke: (send in a Quebeker accent) you PutIn the french fries, you PutIn the sauce, you PutIn the curds and VOILA, POUTINE!
Old Dec 7th 2006, 7:42 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Take cottage cheese, wash away runny stuff. What's left is curds innit? Nah, probably not quite the same.

Poutine...dont knock it till youve tried it I say. Theres good and bad out there though.

Last edited by iaink; Dec 7th 2006 at 7:46 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

you PutIn the french fries, you PutIn the sauce, you PutIn the curds
I'm sure there's a Polonium 210 joke in there somewhere..

K.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Not at all, are you a fan of chips & curry or chips & gravy? If so, you'll LOVE this stuff... already converted my English partner into a out and out Poutine lover, should see his eyes light up when I offer to make us Poutine for supper Everytime we visit Canada we have to go to Topaze restaurant near mums house and get ourselves poutine Mmmmmm

Cheesy joke: (send in a Quebeker accent) you PutIn the french fries, you PutIn the sauce, you PutIn the curds and VOILA, POUTINE!
Daedra dear, wher the f$%^k did you get that pic from?? It looks like Eric Morcombe (is that how you spell his name?) in a bear outfit.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Moi? *innocent* Nevah... but KT's not baiting you anymore so it worked
Only cos she got bored.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.