Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How does this country survive?

How does this country survive?

Old Dec 4th 2006, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does this country survive?

Originally Posted by printer
Do the Canadian ones have Tim Hortons donuts under each door?

Now i could get used to that.

Oooooh! So could I Can you imagine. A mini boston creme donut under one door, a cinnamon under another ....... Mmmmmm 24 different flavours
Old Dec 4th 2006, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
Oooooh! So could I Can you imagine. A mini boston creme donut under one door, a cinnamon under another ....... Mmmmmm 24 different flavours

Stop it, Stop it. I am trying not to visualise it.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 5:56 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

They would be a tad stale by the time you got to the last door...or even half way through the first week come to think about it. Might be enough to put you off!
Old Dec 4th 2006, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
They would be a tad stale by the time you got to the last door...or even half way through the first week come to think about it. Might be enough to put you off!

Hey, I don't know about printer but who thought I'd be good and eat one a day? I'd treat all 24 like a box of mini tim bits
Old Dec 4th 2006, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, I don't know about printer but who thought I'd be good and eat one a day? I'd treat all 24 like a box of mini tim bits
Yeah, it wouldn't be possible to eat just one a day would it. I've tried going out and only having one beer and one cigarette but it doesn't work.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

matty266 will become famous soon enough

Hi vick

You obvously landed on the wrong year, but most goes down to not planing, ie are your qualifiactions recognised, did you fly over not just for holiday but to see and contact local businesses to see what you might need.

The seven Ps apply hear and if followed may have been easy for you

Prior
Preperation
planing
prevents
Piss
Poor
performance

Allthough it took me a while to get ajob i was doing in UK i was willing to take a step back and work somewhere else for the experience and to improve my references,

In the two jobs I went for I was picked out for my experience and references at no time has my British nationality ever hinded me, what i did find hindered me was not knowing at first the language and terminolgy, how to write CV's for brits resume for the rest,

After overcoming and learning to adapt then I manged to become succesful but yes it took a while

For the people wishing to immgrate to here, investigate your future first look at what you have to to achieve your goal, contact everyone you can thin of for guidence,

I would not change and go back to UK for the world Its a total different way of life and greater oppptunities to talk and relax and my kids can live in a happy place.

I hope everything goes well in the UK for you Vick
Old Dec 4th 2006, 7:11 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

The last door has a mini defibrilator under it.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Souvenir
The last door has a mini defibrilator under it.

LOL!
Old Dec 4th 2006, 7:39 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL!
Not meant to be a joke. Do you have any idea how many calories there are in doughnuts?

I've known people eat six Krispy Kremes as a snack. KKs run to about 900 calories. Each.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 7:42 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

A certain amount of blubber might soften the impact of the coming winter.

Of course, my doctor didnt agree I've gained over 20lbs since coming here...thats not to say I might not have gained some in the UK, but this is not a great country to try and lose weight in!
Old Dec 4th 2006, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not meant to be a joke. Do you have any idea how many calories there are in doughnuts?

I've known people eat six Krispy Kremes as a snack. KKs run to about 900 calories. Each.
It doesn't say that on their website, the most has about 360 calories.

I think i will start to look like Homer Simpson once i get over there.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Tim's Boston Cremes are about 250. I know this because I was on a calorie controlled diet in Montréal and lost 12 lbs. It is possible to eat Tim donuts and still lose weight.

K.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
I think i will start to look like Homer Simpson once i get over there.
Get to 300 lbs and you too can run a nuclear power plant from home.

K.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 7:56 pm

ville303 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: How does this country survive?

Originally Posted by iaink
A certain amount of blubber might soften the impact of the coming winter.

Of course, my doctor didnt agree I've gained over 20lbs since coming here...thats not to say I might not have gained some in the UK, but this is not a great country to try and lose weight in!

oh contraire... for myself
I, on the other hand...have lost a huge amount of weight....at first I found the food 'messed'...
Plain food is not on the menu...although I soon got used to asking for the salmon steak not to be smothered in god know's what 'sauces'...even though they stood over me 'gibbering' with withdrawal symptoms with numerous cone shaped bottles...eeeek...and asked like 'are you sure....you want it PLAIN...what nothing on it at all' (no Sherlock...I want it P. L. A. I. N!)

Anyways..I could not get the usual office job, desk job etc.. I was experienced in (second applicants always seem to have probs...prob another thread to start at some point peeps!...baaah rants)

So, I ends up House Cleaning...however, I have managed to elevate myself pretty quickly to 'Team Leader'...even though I have BSc and Master's degree...but y'know what?...I'm actually enjoying it!......no stress....so coupled with all the excercise and careful eating I have lost 3st....So size 24 leaving UK down to 14..isn't such a bad thing...coupled with the outdoor life....
I can hopefully get in 'that little black number' at Christmas that I could not get into 3 years ago....LOL
Old Dec 4th 2006, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

The Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mrs Madmac
Oh yes AND cars that don't lock you out of them! I managed to get myself locked out of the van………………. There I was, putting my mail in the mail box and I go to get back into the van and it is locked……. engine running, music playing and keys in the ignition………… my house keys, cell phone, handbag…. everything in the car…… so I can’t phone anyone…… I can’t get into the house…… even Mr Mac's set of car keys were in the car too!

I pondered the options…………… start kicking the living daylights out of the van (after all it won't change its appearance it will still look like a big lump) ……………. Collapse in a heap and cry my eyes out (very girlie but sometimes needs must) or …… well I hadn’t thought of a third option…… a very nice lady stopped and helped me. She phoned a tow truck guy who came out within 20 minutes and he got into the car in 2 seconds! (Faster than back home….. they would have taken at least 5!) They only charged me $37.10…… which I thought was great considering the alternatives!

Springy suspension, a lovely plastic looking interior and the ability to lock itself - what more could a gal ask for!

Note to self - always, always take keys with you - the cars here are not like the cars at home and they do play tricks on you and laugh!!! Or is that the voices in my head?
Wow I thought we were the only people that that happened to!
1995, hilly street in San Francisco....ah yes I remember it well!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.