Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How does this country survive?

How does this country survive?

Old Dec 4th 2006, 11:46 am
Just Joined

Sorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really nice
Default Re: How does this country survive?

Originally Posted by kt0157
I don't agree to that. We're not being "swamped". 600,000 net migrants is only 1%.

K.
We'll see
Old Dec 4th 2006, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sorbz62
I have seen an increase in traffic incidents and road rage recently which worries me. The driving here is relatively safe but it is getting worse based on accident figures and those of the amount of traffic induced assaults which are taking place.
I wonder how much that is caused by the media reports of casual violence. It's certainly creating an atmosphere of "everybody's at it". It's a much smaller step from that to "I can do it too".

K.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I can live with the racism but you're dead wrong about the traffic. The relative free flow of the M25 at rush hour and the comparatively excellent manners of the drivers when traffic lanes must merge is one of the joys of the UK compared to here.
You must have picked a good day to drive on it that's all i can say.
Yes there are days when even though it's busy it can flow but there are serious traffic problems which anybody that regularly uses it will tell you.
It has been labelled the biggest car park in Europe.
Of course i haven't driven in Toronto for 20 years so cannot comment on the difference or similarity.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 12:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
Yes there are days when even though it's busy it can flow but there are serious traffic problems which anybody that regularly uses it will tell you.
Of course i haven't driven in Toronto for 20 years so cannot comment on the difference or similarity.
In and around Toronto I'm pleased to average 11mph. Presidents get shot at higher speeds.

I know people come here for the slower pace of life but still, do they really want to live their lives drumming their fingers in a sea of grey and beige Toyotas and Kias?
Old Dec 4th 2006, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

I know people come here for the slower pace of life
"You asked for it, you got it!"

but still, do they really want to live their lives drumming their fingers in a sea of grey and beige Toyotas and Kias?
What is it with Canada/US and beige? Everything is beige. Were primary colours outlawed in the US in the McCarthy era? Are there on-the-spot fines for sporting a loud shirt in a built-up area?

It suits me. My luggage is bright yellow and I can always spot it on the luggage belt (easy to spot amongst the sea of identical Roots bags).

K.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

In and around Toronto I'm pleased to average 11mph. Presidents get shot at higher speeds.

I know people come here for the slower pace of life but still, do they really want to live their lives drumming their fingers in a sea of grey and beige Toyotas and Kias?

It's the price you pay for living in any city. Spending 3 or more hours a day sitting in a car commuting from your high priced residence is a lifestyle choice.

Living in the sticks has its advantages.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Kias seem to be on the up over here too. My brother in law bought one recently and so it seems did half the UK population and of course taxi drivers love em.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 12:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman
It's the price you pay for living in any city. Spending 3 or more hours a day sitting in a car commuting from your high priced residence is a lifestyle choice.

Living in the sticks has its advantages.
I'm doing my best to move to the sticks, then I've be driving three hours a day. At the moment on weekdays I walk or catch a tram. It's Saturday and Sunday that we drive across the 401 at 11mph; I expect it's worse on weekdays.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kt0157
"You asked for it, you got it!"

What is it with Canada/US and beige? Everything is beige. Were primary colours outlawed in the US in the McCarthy era? Are there on-the-spot fines for sporting a loud shirt in a built-up area?

It suits me. My luggage is bright yellow and I can always spot it on the luggage belt (easy to spot amongst the sea of identical Roots bags).

K.
Roots bags???

Not sure i know about these, are they any good?
I need some new cases for my forthcoming trip and Burberry is so yesterday.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 12:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Kias seem to be on the up over here too. My brother in law bought one recently and so it seems did half the UK population and of course taxi drivers love em.

Biiiiink seems to love hers. I enjoyed the Fiat Punto rental in England; it had so much more go than the Honda I'm enduring here.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 12:49 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Try it on a Friday afternoon, or a Sunday night. The M25 is a racetrack by comparison. The last time we crossed TO on a Friday afternoon, from 20 miles west of it to 20 miles east took over 3 hours. It didn't get much better after that either. The whole trip, from Oakville to Montreal took nine hours. In "good" traffic and with the OPP on strike you could do it in just over five hours.

Fortunately we no longer need to make that trip, or indeed go anywhere near the 401, particularly the scary bit.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 12:53 pm
Lone Brit

Suzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf42
Ironic you have a German wife. I guess that makes her an immigrant to the UK. Dreadful isn't it, this immigration- unless it suits us personally.
Is there a nicer way you could have said that? I think it's a real shame the way people have to take digs at each other on this forum. At the end of the day, we're just discussing stuff and people are entitled to their opinion.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 12:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Suzie
At the end of the day, we're just discussing stuff and people are entitled to their opinion.
In the UK, perhaps, expressing some unfashionable opinions in Canada is an offense.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Try it on a Friday afternoon, or a Sunday night. The M25 is a racetrack by comparison. The last time we crossed TO on a Friday afternoon, from 20 miles west of it to 20 miles east took over 3 hours. It didn't get much better after that either. The whole trip, from Oakville to Montreal took nine hours. In "good" traffic and with the OPP on strike you could do it in just over five hours.

Fortunately we no longer need to make that trip, or indeed go anywhere near the 401, particularly the scary bit.
I've been on the M25 on a Friday aftenoon completely stationary due to major accident, the whole motorway was closed. It took 2 hours to do about 2 miles and then we all had to be diverted off the next junction. 3 lanes of motorway traffic going off onto a normal A road, it was hell.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 1:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I've been on the M25 on a Friday aftenoon completely stationary due to major accident, the whole motorway was closed. It took 2 hours to do about 2 miles and then we all had to be diverted off the next junction. 3 lanes of motorway traffic going off onto a normal A road, it was hell.
I'm sure it was but that's an example of an incident with a cause. The 401 is 16 lanes of vehicles going at 11mph when nothing goes wrong. Many of those vehicles are trucks which, I suppose, may account for the dreadful air quality here.

As it goes, we sat in a jam on a motorway in the UK recently while an accident was cleaned up, three lanes had to merge to one, it was watching that that prompted my comment above about UK drivers being more polite than those here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.