Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How does this country survive?

How does this country survive?

Old Dec 1st 2006, 7:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does this country survive?

How does this country survive? How does this thread survive more like!
Old Dec 1st 2006, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madmac
Damn woman, you've adjusted to Canadian driving etiquette quickly.
As they say....when in Rome..

Originally Posted by iaink
How does this thread survive more like!
Horse's Arses? (Or am I mixing me threads?)
Old Dec 1st 2006, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
That'll be the most enjoyable.
Yes what about all those great american classics. Ford torino from Starsky and Hutch, Dodge charger Dukes of Hazard and Dirty Mary Crazy Larry. Ford Mustang from Bullit. Pontiac Trans am Smokey and the Bandit.

I'm an old classic fan. I know the handling was sh!t and probably the build quality but it was a big improvement on our Austin Allegro.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 8:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
Yes what about all those great american classics. Ford torino from Starsky and Hutch, Dodge charger Dukes of Hazard and Dirty Mary Crazy Larry. Ford Mustang from Bullit. Pontiac Trans am Smokey and the Bandit.

I'm an old classic fan. I know the handling was sh!t and probably the build quality but it was a big improvement on our Austin Allegro.
Well quite. The Mustang, for example, offered and still offers, a fun convertible with room for two adults and two kids at a price a working man can consider. (Sorry the dog isn't facing the other way).
Attached Thumbnails How does this country survive?-118_1813.jpg  
Old Dec 1st 2006, 8:51 pm
Lone Brit

Suzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to all

Hamilton's pretty bad - the pollution alone will kill you here

Something else that would be interesting to know would be the most dangerous place in Canada. I believe deep sea fisherman and hydro lineman are the most dangerous jobs, so maybe a sea port with guns?
Old Dec 1st 2006, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Well quite. The Mustang, for example, offered and still offers, a fun convertible with room for two adults and two kids at a price a working man can consider. (Sorry the dog isn't facing the other way).
There's nothing like the sound of a decent V8 engine. While these cars were all the rage in North America we were driving things with lawn mower engines.

Austin Maxi, Austin Princess, Morris Marina, need i go on?

Apologies about the dog accepted. But i would rather have seen more of the car.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 1:06 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=kt0157]
Originally Posted by Daedra

And here was me thinking that's Manchester, NH.

Seriously, I wonder how many people have flown to Manchester, NH, by mistake? Expedia always used to (still does?) default to that Manchester when searching.

K.
WTF? Is there a Mancherter in New Hampshire? Jesus, is no English city safe from those bloody settlers?

That stupid website also points me to London Ontario instead of London ENGLAND as a default everytime... bloody thing should be built with some kind of "most popular destination" database if its going to point in any direction other then UP which is I (and many women's) favorite

Last edited by Daedra; Dec 2nd 2006 at 1:10 am.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 1:54 pm
Lone Brit

Suzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to allSuzie is a name known to all

[QUOTE=Daedra]
Originally Posted by kt0157

WTF? Is there a Mancherter in New Hampshire? Jesus, is no English city safe from those bloody settlers?

That stupid website also points me to London Ontario instead of London ENGLAND as a default everytime... bloody thing should be built with some kind of "most popular destination" database if its going to point in any direction other then UP which is I (and many women's) favorite
It's not just the English cities. New Hampshire also has a Berlin (pronounced BER-lin) and other American cities include Delhi (pronounced Dell-high) and Cairo (pronounced Cey-row). It's like Chavs thinking they've given their kid an original name just because they spelled Kevyn with a 'y'.

The funny thing about Canadian cities is the counties they're in...London Ontario is in Middlesex county and is right next to Dorchester. They're both just a short drive from Copenhagen.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 2:43 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Suzie]

It's not just the English cities. New Hampshire also has a Berlin (pronounced BER-lin) and other American cities include Delhi (pronounced Dell-high) and Cairo (pronounced Cey-row). It's like Chavs thinking they've given their kid an original name just because they spelled Kevyn with a 'y'.

The funny thing about Canadian cities is the counties they're in...London Ontario is in Middlesex county and is right next to Dorchester. They're both just a short drive from Copenhagen.
Ontario had a Berlin until WWI. The name was changed to Kitchener.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 3:04 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Souvenir]
Originally Posted by Suzie

Ontario had a Berlin until WWI. The name was changed to Kitchener.

.... and Kitchener was named after a British general! ... and that's adjacent to Waterloo and Cambridge.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Dec 2nd 2006 at 3:23 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 3:18 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Suzie]
London Ontario is in Middlesex county and is right next to Dorchester. They're both just a short drive from Copenhagen.
*LOL*!!
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 3:40 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Daedra]
Originally Posted by Suzie

*LOL*!!
I'm about a mile from Hull and Wakefield is just up the road. Both places are in Quebec.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 4:22 pm
Lone Brit

[QUOTE=oceanMDX]
Originally Posted by Souvenir

.... and Kitchener was named after a British general! ... and that's adjacent to Waterloo and Cambridge.
Yeah, they probably changed the name to Kitchener after the general's ship was torpedoed on the way to France. He was replaced by Churchill (who has a town named after him on Lake Simcoe. And also in Manitoba

It's like six degrees of historical separation.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 4:23 pm
Lone Brit

[QUOTE=Souvenir]

I'm about a mile from Hull and Wakefield is just up the road. Both places are in Quebec.
I live in Grimsby. Which is near Lincoln. Both in Ontario
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Sorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Vick
My Mrs and I are going back to UK but thought I would pose this question anyway.

How does Canada work the way it does and not disintegrate into a 3rd world country?

The following things have happened to me since I got here, and I have only been here 5 months.

And I will just mention the cloak and dagger secret society - unions, you have to have shared the same womb with someone, before anyone will give you a decent job if you are not Canadian. How come the half decent jobs never go to an immigrant, but all the jobs that require you to say "Is that for here or to go?" welcome immigrants with open arms?

Why are the Canadian government and the TV stations saying that they are desperate for well educated, skilled workers when the actual companies are ignoring them?

You ask about getting a 6CD auto changer for your car and the technician look at you like you have just asked to be transported to the Star ship Enterprise. They respond " we don't do them here, they are in the future". My God!

Traffic - oh yes lets talk about that little one. 3 or 4 roundabouts in Kitchener/Waterloo. Having come from the UK, I felt confident about using them. Until I realised that Canadians do not know any of their own rules of the road. The main 1 being what an upside down triangle is. It's not hard, it is the same in every country GIVE WAY! Now I approach any roundabout here like I was trying to drive a double decker bus painted with the Union Jack flag on it round the Arc de Triomphe with a big sign saying "Up your's Frenchies". :scared: Going round a roundabout here is like sticking your penis in a lion's mouth and then flicking his love spuds with a wet towel.

Canadian traffic surveys found that roundabouts cut emissions, reduce congestion etc but they still slap traffic lights on every 3rd metre of road. No wonder it takes 4 hours to get to the local shops.

Why do pedestrians keep getting run over? Well lets see. In most civilised countries if a pedestrian is crossing the road then no other traffic will be. You wait for the little man telling you to walk and you calmly step out. Here, you get told to walk into the road when traffic can have a green light. To coin a phrase - "It's just an accident waiting to happen".

Right, rant over. I'm out of breath. Just waiting for all the arguments coming back. I know what's wrong with the UK so I am formulating a plan to fix it when I get back:

Oh , hang on, I think I have just listed the election manifesto of the BNP!

Right, you can call me all you want.

"Come and have a go if you think you're 'ard enough"

P.S. Can someone create a Canadian national identity and culture so that they don't have to use the American ones. Oh my God. Please.
                        Right - here goes ..........

1. Things which break: In UK everything breaks - telephones, cars, washing machines, internet links etc - and when you phone up to rectify the problem, you get put through to call centre in Goa, or Bombay where the idiots on the other end only speak enough English to answer the most basic of questions. It is cr*p and getting cra*per (see what I did there lol!) Nobody seems to give a sh*t here.

2. Telephone Providers: Vastly overpriced, particularly Mobile roaming, and they also have these damn call centres ..."Yis, vot zeems to be ze proobleem, sahib..."

3. UK Health Service: is now completely swamped with immigrants coming to the UK for free medical treatment. A friend of mine returned from Iraq where he had been injured and was put in a ward of Iraqis and Afghans and was verbally abused for "killing their fellow muslims". Another friend, also military, has just had a minor heart op and was left in a cold corridor straight after his op at St Thomas's in London, because all the beds were taken by Poles and Russians. He also said the hospital was suffering from underfunding in that it was absolutely disgusting and seemed like a 3rd world hospital to him. Dreadful

4. OK, let's talk about job prospects here. The aforementioned immigration pattern (which is going to be worsened by Romania nd Bulgaria entering the EU) has made the prospect of working class Brits having to work for much less, because the immigrants work for far less. This is now a major issue in the UK and I can see there being some kind of violent backlash soon.

5. Traffic: The situation here is absolutely awful - wherever you go, day or night, the roads are blocked by ignorant, unaware tw*ts (insert whatever vowel you want) who only want to get from A to B as quick as possible. The Government is planning on introducing a chrage for road usage to cut down on traffic, but at about £1 per mile !!!!!!! holy f**k!! The alternative is an antiquated, unsafe railway network which costs a fortune and is never on time ....AND you get mugged on them by those who don't pay and smoke crack in the bogs.

Right, here's some of my own.

Education: Why must my kids learn Pashtu because there are some Afghan kids in their class? Why does University Education ensure that students have to work for 10 years thereafter just to pay off their student loan.

House Prices: Impossible for Uni leavers to buy a house. Council Tax is costing more and more and used for what? They are also planning on taking individuals to court if they put the wrong rubbish in their bins !!!

Crime: Getting worse and worse - completely caused by the Police being handicapped with legislation and Political Correctness. They cannot do their jobs properly and the Criminals they do catch get off because "the naught policeman shouted at me". Prisons are so over crowded that they are letting some out early!! From their warm prison cells with TV and duvets.

I've had enough now, so before you drag your snivelling little butt back to UK, stop whingeing and enjoy what you've got.... because it's much better than over here in this dreary little, multi-culti, sinking island, which used to be Great.

Apart from that, have a nice day hahaha!
                        J.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.