Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How does this country survive?

How does this country survive?

Old Nov 28th 2006, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does this country survive?

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Sounds to me like Canada is better off without you. Have you not found anything positive in your 5 months?
Maybe Canadian society is more sophisticated than you think.

After all it rejects people with negative attitudes like that.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 10:42 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vick
My Mrs and I are going back to UK but thought I would pose this question anyway.

How does Canada work the way it does and not disintegrate into a 3rd world country?

The following things have happened to me since I got here, and I have only been here 5 months.

And I will just mention the cloak and dagger secret society - unions, you have to have shared the same womb with someone, before anyone will give you a decent job if you are not Canadian. How come the half decent jobs never go to an immigrant, but all the jobs that require you to say "Is that for here or to go?" welcome immigrants with open arms?

Why are the Canadian government and the TV stations saying that they are desperate for well educated, skilled workers when the actual companies are ignoring them?

You ask about getting a 6CD auto changer for your car and the technician look at you like you have just asked to be transported to the Star ship Enterprise. They respond " we don't do them here, they are in the future". My God!

Traffic - oh yes lets talk about that little one. 3 or 4 roundabouts in Kitchener/Waterloo. Having come from the UK, I felt confident about using them. Until I realised that Canadians do not know any of their own rules of the road. The main 1 being what an upside down triangle is. It's not hard, it is the same in every country GIVE WAY! Now I approach any roundabout here like I was trying to drive a double decker bus painted with the Union Jack flag on it round the Arc de Triomphe with a big sign saying "Up your's Frenchies". :scared: Going round a roundabout here is like sticking your penis in a lion's mouth and then flicking his love spuds with a wet towel.

Canadian traffic surveys found that roundabouts cut emissions, reduce congestion etc but they still slap traffic lights on every 3rd metre of road. No wonder it takes 4 hours to get to the local shops.

Why do pedestrians keep getting run over? Well lets see. In most civilised countries if a pedestrian is crossing the road then no other traffic will be. You wait for the little man telling you to walk and you calmly step out. Here, you get told to walk into the road when traffic can have a green light. To coin a phrase - "It's just an accident waiting to happen".

Right, rant over. I'm out of breath. Just waiting for all the arguments coming back. I know what's wrong with the UK so I am formulating a plan to fix it when I get back:

Oh , hang on, I think I have just listed the election manifesto of the BNP!

Right, you can call me all you want.

"Come and have a go if you think you're 'ard enough"

P.S. Can someone create a Canadian national identity and culture so that they don't have to use the American ones. Oh my God. Please.
                        He he he, spot on. I do like Canada but i have to say in my experiences i have found Canadians are nice to your face. But then give them a chance and they slag you. They are the best at every thing and we are crap. Oh and this ones a good one, we Brits had it easy during the last war. EH! i kid you not, this was said to me several times by a friend (not any more BTW) The stuff i heard was amazing. Now i know the UK has its faults but so does Canada. But i find Brits have to take a lot of stick from other countries and i can honestly say i have never treated Canadians like this or any other Nationalities like this. I would be ashamed to do so.
                        Old Nov 28th 2006, 10:46 am
                        BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

How come the half decent jobs never go to an immigrant, but all the jobs that require you to say "Is that for here or to go?" welcome immigrants with open arms?
                        Oh the delicious irony of an anti-immigrant person emigrating and being subjected to anti-immigrant treatment.

But you didn't learn your lesson. So your punishment is to sign up with NTL, British Gas and Carphone Warehouse when you return.

K.
                        Old Nov 28th 2006, 10:54 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kt0157
                        Oh the delicious irony of an anti-immigrant person emigrating and being subjected to anti-immigrant treatment.

But you didn't learn your lesson. So your punishment is to sign up with NTL, British Gas and Carphone Warehouse when you return.

K.

Ha ha ha, good un.
                        Old Nov 28th 2006, 11:23 am
                        BE Enthusiast

smitp11 will become famous soon enoughsmitp11 will become famous soon enough

My Mrs and I are going back to UK but thought I would pose this question anyway.....

blah blah blah rant rant rant

.....national identity and culture so that they don't have to use the American ones. Oh my God. Please.
                        Seems like another VISA wasted on someone not prepared to give it a real chance and blinded by the culture shock with a definate lean towards lack of research. There are plenty of potential immigrants who would love to have the opportunities you have had, enjoy life moaning about wherever you are...
                        Old Nov 28th 2006, 11:30 am
                        Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

The phrase Red Rag To A Bull comes to mind with this thread.
                        Old Nov 28th 2006, 12:09 pm
                        BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't we heard all this before, in fact the "Don't live in Ontario" thread is still going.
                        Next subject please.
                        Old Nov 28th 2006, 12:23 pm
                        BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
                        Haven't we heard all this before, in fact the "Don't live in Ontario" thread is still going.
                        Good point. That thread has a chance at being the longest ever. We shouldn't undermine its chances by putting energy into Mr. and Mrs. Bnpvoter's travails.

K.
                        Old Nov 28th 2006, 12:45 pm
                        BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kt0157
                        Good point. That thread has a chance at being the longest ever. We shouldn't undermine its chances by putting energy into Mr. and Mrs. Bnpvoter's travails.

K.
                        Old Nov 28th 2006, 1:39 pm
                        Forum Regular

Mrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to all
                        Talking Re: How does this country survive?

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
                        Hey I have been in Edinburgh for 7 years and I still only have aquaintances and I have tried many times to get real friends but it doesn't bother me anymore, I realise I can't get back what I left in East Kilbride. Do you complain like that when meeting new people I hope you didn't scare them off.

p.s. Oh and they slap lights on roundabouts in Scotland too

Hope going back to the UK gives you what you need all the best.

Emma
                        Aye but you ur fae the west coast and the east coast don't like west coast...... you know...... vinegar on chips or sauce on chips! L.O.L.

(Ah roundabouts....... the Whirlies is actually a hundred times better now that they put traffic lights on it...... used to take me 15 minutes to get though and once it was changed it took me only five.)
                        Old Nov 28th 2006, 2:06 pm
                        Just Joined

Vick is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by flashman
                        Maybe Canadian society is more sophisticated than you think.

After all it rejects people with negative attitudes like that.

I might agree if I thought that they knew what the word sophisticated meant.
                        Old Nov 28th 2006, 2:08 pm
                        Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tangram
                        The phrase Red Rag To A Bull comes to mind with this thread.
                        Similar to instructions on fireworks. "Light the blue touch paper and then retire to a safe distance"
                        Old Nov 28th 2006, 2:11 pm
                        Just Joined

Originally Posted by smitp11
                        Seems like another VISA wasted on someone not prepared to give it a real chance and blinded by the culture shock with a definate lean towards lack of research. There are plenty of potential immigrants who would love to have the opportunities you have had, enjoy life moaning about wherever you are...

You are mistaking me for someone who gives a crap!
                        Old Nov 28th 2006, 2:13 pm
                        BE Enthusiast

dave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud of

Now thats sophistication for you
                        Old Nov 28th 2006, 2:14 pm
                        Forum Regular

MesserMoony is on a distinguished road

Then why are you here posting all this stuff?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.