Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How does this country survive?

How does this country survive?

Old Dec 1st 2006, 3:14 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How does this country survive?

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Yes, but Montana has a population of roughly 0.9M people. So we're looking at maybe one murder a month (at worst). Do the same calculation with Toronto and you're looking at just under one a week.
I guess we need to spread out more then .... crime rates are measured by numbers per 100,000 - plain and simple. The average (in 2004) Torontonian was less likely to become a murder victim than the average Montanan.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 3:14 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
They look blissfully peaceful when you're there too. Maybe there's injuns over the hill.
Looks more like a tit to me.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 3:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks more like a tit to me.
The hill or Ocean?
Old Dec 1st 2006, 3:22 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Something else that would be interesting to know would be the most dangerous place in Canada. I believe deep sea fisherman and hydro lineman are the most dangerous jobs, so maybe a sea port with guns?
In so far as violent crime rates.... the NW Territories, and the Yukon (rural areas) are the highest in Canada .... Toronto (largest urban centre in the country) is about the safest. Sure, in raw numbers, Toronto has lots of crime, but its crime rate is very low in the North American context.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 3:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
In so far as violent crime rates.... the NW Territories, and the Yukon (rural areas) are the highest in Canada .... Toronto (largest urban centre in the country) is about the safest. Sure, in raw numbers, Toronto has lots of crime, but its crime rate is very low in the North American context.
What about Fort McMoney? Boom town, rough crowd, physical labour in a harsh climate; I'd think that a dangerous place, not just in terms of crime but overall.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 3:26 pm
mañana is my busiest day

They look blissfully peaceful when you're there too. Maybe there's injuns over the hill.
No, theres them thar 'merkins over them hills ..... we're talkin' city slickers!
Old Dec 1st 2006, 3:30 pm
mañana is my busiest day

What about Fort McMoney? Boom town, rough crowd, physical labour in a harsh climate; I'd think that a dangerous place, not just in terms of crime but overall.

Didn't you know, Fort McMoney is nothing but a big buffalo pasture with a little muskeg? That's why its called Wood Buffalo. To get killed there one would have to commit suicide.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Dec 1st 2006 at 3:32 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

That's where men are men (and so are half the women)
Old Dec 1st 2006, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

Vick is on a distinguished road

This is cobblers. Canada has one of the most technologically advanced economies in the world. Our exports are not, as one might imagine, dominated by natural resources but to manufactured goods. Boring stuff like transport, aerospace, telecoms, high tech etc. Then we get into natural resources.

The same is not true of the UK, BTW.

Canada is years behind the UK in loads of areas. Electronics like mobiel phones, car build quality is about 20 years back in North America than Europe. How can it take 5 months to recuit for a position?
Old Dec 1st 2006, 3:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Vick
Canada is years behind the UK in loads of areas. Electronics like mobiel phones, car build quality is about 20 years back in North America than Europe. How can it take 5 months to recuit for a position?
Mobile phones, yes. Cars, no. Hondas, for example, are as well built as Fiats.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 3:44 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Gee whiz, you're right - Canadians have never even heard of "mobiel phones". Seeing how backwards Canada is, could you explain what they are? ... and while you are at it, could you explain what a "Blackberry" is to me?

Last edited by oceanMDX; Dec 1st 2006 at 3:48 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 3:51 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

The CRJ is genuinely a world leader, innit?
Not a bad little plane either. I normally don't like small aircraft but that one is a cutie. Even if one of the most important bits was clearly designed by a woman.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 4:03 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

I would have responded to those points, but I didn't want to mistake you for someone who gave a crap.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

pint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud of

If the technology of mobile phones is what you're looking for in a place to live, I suggest you set your scope on the Far East, specifically Taiwan. They are far, far more ahead in mobile phone technology than Britain.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Vick is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by pint princess
If the technology of mobile phones is what you're looking for in a place to live, I suggest you set your scope on the Far East, specifically Taiwan. They are far, far more ahead in mobile phone technology than Britain.

No, I was just stating the fact that Canada is years behind the UK in most things. They don't even have a popular culture.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.