Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How does this country survive?

How does this country survive?

Old Nov 30th 2006, 9:55 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does this country survive?

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Steve Martin is Canadian? I don't think so. Anyway, you forgot Rich Little and Eugene Levy.
Got it from this website: http://www.r-go.ca/famous_canadian_actors.htm

Looked him up on IMBD and your right though, dont know what he's doing on that website... He's an imposter, quick get the muskets & the Canadian beer, we'll have that little bugger strung up and spinning like a top in no time!

Last edited by Daedra; Nov 30th 2006 at 10:00 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 10:02 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
But, I thought they were ALL made in the US of A and had the USA brand on their asses?
No mate, those are the HORSES.. didn't you see DBD's examples earlier?
Old Nov 30th 2006, 10:08 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by printer
Russians are big news at the moment in the UK with all this talk of radiation poisoning and contamination found in a couple of BA aircraft.
Now another former russian big gun has been taken ill in Dublin.
All very mysterious.
The Russians are sentimental and nostalgic for the good ol' days of the USSR.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 10:14 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Daedra
Got it from this website: http://www.r-go.ca/famous_canadian_actors.htm

Looked him up on IMBD and your right though, dont know what he's doing on that website... He's an imposter, quick get the muskets & the Canadian beer, we'll have that little bugger strung up and spinning like a top in no time!
No, he's not an imposter because Steve Martin isn't on the list.... I should probably examine your eyes.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 7:18 am
Just Joined

Sux101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vick
My Mrs and I are going back to UK but thought I would pose this question anyway.

How does Canada work the way it does and not disintegrate into a 3rd world country?

The following things have happened to me since I got here, and I have only been here 5 months.

And I will just mention the cloak and dagger secret society - unions, you have to have shared the same womb with someone, before anyone will give you a decent job if you are not Canadian. How come the half decent jobs never go to an immigrant, but all the jobs that require you to say "Is that for here or to go?" welcome immigrants with open arms?

Why are the Canadian government and the TV stations saying that they are desperate for well educated, skilled workers when the actual companies are ignoring them?

You ask about getting a 6CD auto changer for your car and the technician look at you like you have just asked to be transported to the Star ship Enterprise. They respond " we don't do them here, they are in the future". My God!

Traffic - oh yes lets talk about that little one. 3 or 4 roundabouts in Kitchener/Waterloo. Having come from the UK, I felt confident about using them. Until I realised that Canadians do not know any of their own rules of the road. The main 1 being what an upside down triangle is. It's not hard, it is the same in every country GIVE WAY! Now I approach any roundabout here like I was trying to drive a double decker bus painted with the Union Jack flag on it round the Arc de Triomphe with a big sign saying "Up your's Frenchies". :scared: Going round a roundabout here is like sticking your penis in a lion's mouth and then flicking his love spuds with a wet towel.

Canadian traffic surveys found that roundabouts cut emissions, reduce congestion etc but they still slap traffic lights on every 3rd metre of road. No wonder it takes 4 hours to get to the local shops.

Why do pedestrians keep getting run over? Well lets see. In most civilised countries if a pedestrian is crossing the road then no other traffic will be. You wait for the little man telling you to walk and you calmly step out. Here, you get told to walk into the road when traffic can have a green light. To coin a phrase - "It's just an accident waiting to happen".

Right, rant over. I'm out of breath. Just waiting for all the arguments coming back. I know what's wrong with the UK so I am formulating a plan to fix it when I get back:

Oh , hang on, I think I have just listed the election manifesto of the BNP!

Right, you can call me all you want.

"Come and have a go if you think you're 'ard enough"

P.S. Can someone create a Canadian national identity and culture so that they don't have to use the American ones. Oh my God. Please.
                        Almost six years here and I wonder how the hell it survives too ... then you visit the US ... nuff said.

Canada does have an identity ... lacrosse, hockey, double-doubles, deluxe pizzas and you don't get shot for knocking on a stranger's door or asking directions.

I'm sure someone will correct me, but even the most dangerous parts of Canad are safer than the safest parts of the US.

As for road crossing on foot ... ever tried crossing on a pedestrian crossing in France? Nuff said. Take the car, it's safer.

Canada is a work in progress ... right now (excluding the annoying assholes who got here before I did) it's an excellent country to live in, give it a few years and it'll be the best country in the world to live in ... in the meantime, I'll just work hard to survive it's little foibles and thank God I was smart enough to leave the UK.

A work in progress beats a failed country any day.
                        Old Dec 1st 2006, 1:19 pm
                        Senile Member

No, he's not an imposter because Steve Martin isn't on the list.... I should probably examine your eyes.
                        Oops.. your right, Martin Short is, not Steve Martin *lol* Eyes presented front and forward for examination
                        Old Dec 1st 2006, 1:42 pm
                        Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sux101
                        I'm sure someone will correct me, but even the most dangerous parts of Canad are safer than the safest parts of the US.
                        You know that aint so. Even if you just consider deaths by shooting, we have one a week or so in this town while New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, Montana and Wyoming have hardly any.
                        Old Dec 1st 2006, 2:43 pm
                        mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by dbd33
                        You know that aint so. Even if you just consider deaths by shooting, we have one a week or so in this town while New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, Montana and Wyoming have hardly any.
                        What you are saying ain't so either.... I randomly selected Montana from your list and compared its homicide rate with Toronto's. In 2004 Toronto's homicide rate was 1.8 (per 100,000) and Montana's was 3.2 (per 100,000).

http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/050721/d050721a.htm

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/mtcrimn.htm
                        Old Dec 1st 2006, 2:49 pm
                        Forum Regular

angelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really nice

What you are saying ain't so either.... I randomly selected Montana from your list and compared its homicide rate with Toronto's. In 2004 Toronto's homicide rate was 1.8 (per 100,000) and Montana's was 3.2 (per 100,000).

But of course 99% of statistics are made up on the spot
                        Old Dec 1st 2006, 2:51 pm
                        Property Owner

welshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nice

Originally Posted by angelic_fruitcake
                        you can't blame him, only 68.5% of people know that
                        Old Dec 1st 2006, 3:03 pm
                        Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

- Toronto is more violent now than in 2004, Montana is unchanged. Toronto has murders every month, Montana has them occasionally, 2004 being a bad year.

- The rate per 100,000 is not a useful measure when comparing densely populated areas with sparsely populated ones, a single death in a low crime location like Montana skews the statistics disproportionately, whereas in Toronto one more death is neither here nor there.

- the original post specified "safety" not "crime" so, for Toronto, you have to include death or injury through car accidents, train crashes and so on. There aint many of those in Montana.

There's no point beating this to death, you know it's more dangerous to be outside the Eaton Centre than in a field in Montana; urban places are always more dangerous than rural ones. The original post is just thoughtlessly anti-American.

What would be much more interesting would be to see violent crime in Toronto rated against US cities; I suspect Toronto is safer in terms of crime than Washington but less safe than New York, however this is very hard to determine due to the differences in definitions of crimes.
                        Old Dec 1st 2006, 3:04 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, but Montana has a population of roughly 0.9M people. So we're looking at maybe one murder a month (at worst). Do the same calculation with Toronto and you're looking at just under one a week.
                        Old Dec 1st 2006, 3:05 pm
                        mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by angelic_fruitcake
                        Yeah, and those US states seem very peaceful when you live hundreds - if not thousands - of kilometers away from them. Hell, from where I live I don't even notice any murders going on in Baghdad - must be a peaceful place way better than Toronto.
                        Old Dec 1st 2006, 3:07 pm
                        Assimilated Pauper

Something else that would be interesting to know would be the most dangerous place in Canada. I believe deep sea fisherman and hydro lineman are the most dangerous jobs, so maybe a sea port with guns?
                        Old Dec 1st 2006, 3:11 pm
                        Assimilated Pauper

Yeah, and those US states seem very peaceful when you live hundreds - if not thousands - of kilometers away from them. Hell, from where I live I don't even notice any murders going on in Baghdad - must be a peaceful place way better than Toronto.
                        They look blissfully peaceful when you're there too. Maybe there's injuns over the hill.
                        Attached Thumbnails How does this country survive?-105_0547.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.