Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How does this country survive?

How does this country survive?

Old Nov 29th 2006, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

angelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really nice
Default Re: How does this country survive?

Originally Posted by printer
BTW on a separate note is this Jonny Botswana guy for real?

His posts make me laugh but i'm not sure they are meant to.
Dunno about that but on a completely different comedic note - Peter Kay. Has he made the transatlantic leap yet? That man makes me HOWL.

"Garlic.......Bread?"
Old Nov 29th 2006, 7:17 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by angelic_fruitcake
Dunno about that but on a completely different comedic note - Peter Kay. Has he made the transatlantic leap yet? That man makes me HOWL.
Yup, we have him over here. He's famous for doing impressions of Del Boy Trotter's little brother and a cabinet minister.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

angelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really niceangelic_fruitcake is just really nice

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Yup, we have him over here. He's famous for doing impressions of Del Boy Trotter's little brother and a cabinet minister.
Que? Peter Kay (the one I know) doesn't do impressions. Or if he does, I haven't seen them. I can't imagine Peter Kay pretending to be Rodney Trotter, he's from Bolton and has a very broad Bolton accent!
Old Nov 29th 2006, 7:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't Peter Kay one of Belinda's dumpees?
Old Nov 29th 2006, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33

http://www.peterkay.co.uk/

Catchphrases
Peter Kay is notable for the cult following some of his sayings garner. Many of these strike a chord with people due to their down-to-earth nature, reflecting the manner in which people speak in the north of England.

"Booked it. Packed it. **cked off!" (Talking about booking a holiday through Teletext)
"Garlic...Bread?" (An impersonation of Kay's father who, on holiday in Spain, was bamboozled by garlic bread, wondering how the two ingredients could be combined)
"Cheesecake?" (A sort of sequel to "Garlic bread")
"It's spittin'!" (Dinner lady cry heralding a shower of rain before herding kids into school)
"It's that fine rain that soaks you through", or "It's that fine rain that gets you wet" (Bungalow tour)
"We're not playing games now" (Used in live shows after telling a sequence of one liners).
"How dare you." (Max and Paddy's Road to Nowhere)
"Put t' big light on" (Mum Wants a Bungalow tour)
"'Ave it!" (John Smith's Bitter advert)
"I've not lost it" (After flicking the microphone in the air, and then catching it by the handle.)
"Wanna brew?" (While miming a cup in his hand, continuously tipping it towards his mouth. A brew is a northern English word for a cup of tea.)
"Phone for ya" (While shaping his hand into a phone, putting his thumb by his ear and little finger by his mouth.)
"Thatcher's Britain!" (Max and Paddy's Road to Nowhere)

In August of 2006 a poll of 4,000 people was commissioned by UKTV Gold for the best comic one-liner. In first place was a line from Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights - "Garlic bread, it's the future, I've tasted it" [1]

Peter Kay is also well known for using and repeating stereotypical Lancastrian grammatical quirks for comedic effect. These include 'T'internet', 'Th'ambulance' and 'T'Egypt' (referring to a holiday in Egypt).

It's better on t'telly...
Old Nov 29th 2006, 7:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Catchphrases
Peter Kay is notable for the cult following some of his sayings garner. Many of these strike a chord with people due to their down-to-earth nature, reflecting the manner in which people speak in the north of England.

"Booked it. Packed it. **cked off!" (Talking about booking a holiday through Teletext)
"Garlic...Bread?" (An impersonation of Kay's father who, on holiday in Spain, was bamboozled by garlic bread, wondering how the two ingredients could be combined)
"It's spittin'!" (Dinner lady cry heralding a shower of rain before herding kids into school)
"It's that fine rain that soaks you through", or "It's that fine rain that gets you wet" (Bungalow tour)
"We're not playing games now" (Used in live shows after telling a sequence of one liners).
"I've not lost it" (After flicking the microphone in the air, and then catching it by the handle.)
"Wanna brew?" (While miming a cup in his hand, continuously tipping it towards his mouth. A brew is a northern English word for a cup of tea.)
"Phone for ya" (While shaping his hand into a phone, putting his thumb by his ear and little finger by his mouth.)

In August of 2006 a poll of 4,000 people was commissioned by UKTV Gold for the best comic one-liner. In first place was a line from Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights - "Garlic bread, it's the future, I've tasted it" [1]

Peter Kay is also well known for using and repeating stereotypical Lancastrian grammatical quirks for comedic effect. These include 'T'internet', 'Th'ambulance' and 'T'Egypt' (referring to a holiday in Egypt).

Thank you, I think.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Catchphrases

Don't forget the famous amarillo song.

You know how it goes i'm not going to repeat it.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Nooooo....it took me about three months to get rid of that out of my head last time...
Old Nov 29th 2006, 7:57 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Rather like my surname, you seem to have lost a "Mac" there somewhere?
Old Nov 29th 2006, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Nooooo....it took me about three months to get rid of that out of my head last time...
Now you'll be singing for the next three.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 8:05 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I've only very recently come across the spoof of that done by UK troops in Iraq. Made me smile.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Now you'll be singing for the next three.

La la la la la la la la...

La la la la la la la la..

La la la la la la la la ...

And sweet Marie who waits for me...

Dammit! Dammit!
Old Nov 30th 2006, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Seagal01 is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, I think most people are being too hard on this guy. I appreciate both sides (for once). I'm just about to move to BC, and I know that it is not a perfect place - but find me a perfect place!! England is a shit-hole, whichever way you look at it; where there is beauty, there are no jobs, and vice versa. In Canada, you have generally amazing country, but at least with the possibility of getting a job amongst this beauty. Yes, it's difficult, but where isn't?!

Most importantly I don't expect to go to Canada to reap the rewards of what they have to offer ME. I want to offer THEM something. Canada has problems... lots of them, which I think most people who have commented on this are in denial about. It could be so much better, and I think it's not beyond the possibility of immigrants to encourage those changes. Let's face it, the only visible comparison Canadians have is America, and look how much Canada is like the US (another thing that most people are in denial about!!). I love Canada, and I love Canadians (but not Americans). If you don't love these things then you truly don't belong there. All the other things can be improved, and need to be improved. Hell, my Canadian girlfriend does nothing but complain about the pathetic transport system in BC, along with the huge prices for everything: alcohol, supermarket food (incl. cheese), house prices, etc. I find it quaint, and I realise that things maybe cheaper in other countries, and more reliable, but that Canada has other positive points that they don't. Canada needs to be improved, and hasn't been. It's time someone changed things there for the better, and we're the people to do it - not just expect things thrown at you. That's why there ARE so many job possibilities out there, because you can do things a lot better than they are already being done. And it's not just about selling your "English"ness, it's about selling your knowledge of a better system.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 12:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Seagal01
where there is beauty, there are no jobs, and vice versa.
This is absolutely true of Canada.

I love Canadians (but not Americans).
Except when having sex with them, how can you tell them apart?
Old Nov 30th 2006, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

where there is beauty, there are no jobs, and vice versa.
Typically, yes.

In Canada, you have generally amazing country, but at least with the possibility of getting a job amongst this beauty. Yes, it's difficult, but where isn't?!
This particularly applies to Canada. The holiday time is far less than the norm in Europe, so despite the rural beauty there isn't as much opportunity to access it. It's all very well having some of the best mountain biking terrain on your doorstep, but if you've no time to get on your bike, it's just taunting you.

K.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.