Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How does Canadian Schooling compare to British?

Wikiposts

How does Canadian Schooling compare to British?

Old Aug 14th 2004, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

Lostris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How does Canadian Schooling compare to British?

Thank you emmajane, i'm glad things worked out well for you eventually.

We wouldn't make a rash decision about moving to Canada anyway, my daughter's education and happiness is my main priority.

We can't do much about emigrating until my husband has found a job in Canada and from what i gather that could be a long time off!

Did you go to a normal state funded school in Canada or a private one?

Actually, that does (or at least used to) happen in UK. The schools I attended moved kids forward (if they were exceptionally good) or back (if they were behind).
Simonhouse, i'm not aware of this ever happening in secondary or primary education in UK. Not currently anyway or when i was at school either. I'm only 31
Old Aug 14th 2004, 5:59 am
Account Closed

sam/stu is an unknown quantity at this point

My 12 year old son is dyslexic and has a detailed report on his condition. At present his secondary school has applied him on School Action Plus, which basically means that he gets extra help in lessons and additonal English classes, although I feel that they could do more. Anyway, is dyslexia recognised in Canada and if so what action do the schools take? Thanks.
Old Aug 14th 2004, 6:08 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by sam/stu
Anyway, is dyslexia recognised in Canada and if so what action do the schools take? Thanks.
Its recognised in Calgary - we are unable to comment on elsewhere! The action taken will depend on the school and your persistance!

Old Aug 14th 2004, 6:52 am
Account Closed

sam/stu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Its recognised in Calgary - we are unable to comment on elsewhere! The action taken will depend on the school and your persistance!
Thats good to hear because Calgary is where my husband has had the most interest on the job front. I guess I will just have to ask lots of questions when we start looking at the schools available. Thanks for your reply.
Old Aug 14th 2004, 6:58 am
Glaswegian

I came over without Mrs G and the kids to check Calgary out - I paid visits to a few schools before settling on the one we picked. Bear in mind that new areas of Calgary won't always guarantee you the school you think you're getting - your son will would probably get bussed to un undersubscribed school, rather than being sent to the nearest school.