Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How do you go about renting a property?

How do you go about renting a property?

Old Dec 6th 2009, 6:07 pm
where is my wonkey.....

gemmasbr has a spectacular aura aboutgemmasbr has a spectacular aura aboutgemmasbr has a spectacular aura about
Smile How do you go about renting a property?

Hi there, i just wanted to ask how you go about renting a property in Alberta.
Do you arrange before you go or do you have to arrange this once you are there? If so, would you have to book a hotel until you find a property to rent? And also dont they need references, etc? If you just landed there you wouldnt have these! Sorry if it seems a bit silly to ask
Any advise greatly appreciated
Many thanks
Old Dec 6th 2009, 6:16 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you go about renting a property?

Originally Posted by gemmasbr
Hi there, i just wanted to ask how you go about renting a property in Alberta.
Do you arrange before you go or do you have to arrange this once you are there? If so, would you have to book a hotel until you find a property to rent? And also dont they need references, etc? If you just landed there you wouldnt have these! Sorry if it seems a bit silly to ask
Any advise greatly appreciated
Many thanks
You can do any of these. Personally I would sooner stay in a suite hotel for a few weeks and look for an area I like, check out the house and landlord before renting and be sure the rental is legitimate. You could also consider a rental agency, but still don't get to check out the area. References may be asked for, if you don't have any cross that bridge when you come to it. Often there is a damage deposit and one months advance rental, also check out any agreement you may be asked to sign to be sure you are OK with it, may want to make yourself familiar with the Alberta tenancy act as well.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 8:45 pm
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

I deal with a lot of expats who are wanting to rent. There are two ways

1. Some have rented from me from the UK. They book into a hotel for may be one night and then they meet me at the house which they have agreed to rent.

2. Others have waited until they have got here and found a suitable place.

So

The advantages of #1 is that you have somewhere to stay and not paying hotel bills. Disadvantage is house is not what you thought, or not in the area you wanted and you are tied to a lease.

The advantages with #2 is that you choose your house but the disadvantages is that whilst you are looking you are running up a hotel bill. If there is no houses that match your requirements or is not available until the first of the month then you could be in for a long stay at the hotel.

If you have pets then it makes it harder. If you smoke..... stay in the UK it is very hard to rent to smokers.

As to which way is best......, look at where you are going, you say Alberta but narrow down your choice. Look on the websites like www.rentfaster.ca if there are plenty of houses in your price range and requirements then #2 would be best. If there is little choice then #1 may be better.

References/ credit checks. Again it depends who you deal with. Most property management companies are aware that you do not have a credit rating, but accept that if the government has let you in then why not rent to you. Private landlords normally do not have the facility to do credit checks. References, if you rent now then you can get a letter and if you are a home owner, tell them that!!! Most landlords would prefer to have homeowners in their homes.

pm me if you need more help.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

We probably didn't do it the "correct" way or the most sensible way, but what we did was to book rooms in a motel for a couple of weeks and started looking once we were actually over here.

I was very reluctant to rent somewhere I hadn't seen, so this method worked for us.

The one we actually rented, we found in a copy of the Calgary Herald that we picked up at the airport just after landing. went through all the rental ads in there, found several that sounded good and started phoning around

They did want references, credit checks etc, but we explained that we were new immigrants, and as the rental agent was an immigrant himself I think he felt sorry for us and agreed to rent the house to us without doing them. We ended up moving into the house just 7 days after landing, which isn't bad considering that the rental market in Calgary was mad at that point with people saying you couldn't find a decent place for love nor money...

All in all, it was a great house that we ended up in, with lovely neighbours to one side (we never met or spoke to the ones on the other side in 2 years!), and we stayed there for 2 full years until we decided to buy a house.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 10:10 pm
where is my wonkey.....

gemmasbr has a spectacular aura aboutgemmasbr has a spectacular aura aboutgemmasbr has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
I deal with a lot of expats who are wanting to rent. There are two ways

1. Some have rented from me from the UK. They book into a hotel for may be one night and then they meet me at the house which they have agreed to rent.

2. Others have waited until they have got here and found a suitable place.

So

The advantages of #1 is that you have somewhere to stay and not paying hotel bills. Disadvantage is house is not what you thought, or not in the area you wanted and you are tied to a lease.

The advantages with #2 is that you choose your house but the disadvantages is that whilst you are looking you are running up a hotel bill. If there is no houses that match your requirements or is not available until the first of the month then you could be in for a long stay at the hotel.

If you have pets then it makes it harder. If you smoke..... stay in the UK it is very hard to rent to smokers.

As to which way is best......, look at where you are going, you say Alberta but narrow down your choice. Look on the websites like www.rentfaster.ca if there are plenty of houses in your price range and requirements then #2 would be best. If there is little choice then #1 may be better.

References/ credit checks. Again it depends who you deal with. Most property management companies are aware that you do not have a credit rating, but accept that if the government has let you in then why not rent to you. Private landlords normally do not have the facility to do credit checks. References, if you rent now then you can get a letter and if you are a home owner, tell them that!!! Most landlords would prefer to have homeowners in their homes.

pm me if you need more help.
Hi, Sorry, I should have mentioned where! Looking into Calgary and Fort Mcmurray areas. Thanks
Old Dec 6th 2009, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

JonBeaches is just really niceJonBeaches is just really niceJonBeaches is just really niceJonBeaches is just really niceJonBeaches is just really niceJonBeaches is just really niceJonBeaches is just really niceJonBeaches is just really nice

I think it is always best to go there first and rent somwhere on a short term basis and then take the time to look for somewhere to rent on a longer term basis.

Consider the extra expense on the short term rental an investment in getting peace of mind when you eventually decide on somewhere.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 10:18 pm
where is my wonkey.....

Originally Posted by JonBeaches
I think it is always best to go there first and rent somwhere on a short term basis and then take the time to look for somewhere to rent on a longer term basis.

Consider the extra expense on the short term rental an investment in getting peace of mind when you eventually decide on somewhere.
Was unsure about the expense side but you just gave a really good point!
Old Dec 7th 2009, 12:32 am

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

It will be helpful when you are ready to say where you are going
I met a great expat when we did our recci and she helped me find a rental place

Also there is relocation agents that will also help you find a property in the area that you are moving too.
I also know some that have rented a vacation rental for a couple of weeks until they found the ideal house....
so many ways i would say

Good Luck
LB
Old Dec 11th 2009, 12:01 am
Just Joined

sunyjones is an unknown quantity at this point

We had a look at rental properties on Kijiji.ca . Saw one we liked, Phoned and went to see on the Monday, the landlord liked us, we signed a lease agreement and we were in the next day. One months rent as a deposit, short term lease. No references. Easier than the UK!
Old Dec 12th 2009, 7:49 pm
where is my wonkey.....

Originally Posted by sunyjones
We had a look at rental properties on Kijiji.ca . Saw one we liked, Phoned and went to see on the Monday, the landlord liked us, we signed a lease agreement and we were in the next day. One months rent as a deposit, short term lease. No references. Easier than the UK!
Wow that is easier than the uk! Will have a look into the site you mentioned.

Many thanks!
Old Dec 13th 2009, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

sunyjones is an unknown quantity at this point

When you get on the site, just choose the province you want, then city and various categories come up. Look under Housing, House Rental - I just looked under Edmonton and there are loads.

BTW, good place to find a car also if you looking to buy privately.

Hope you find something!
Old Dec 13th 2009, 5:21 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Wow that is easier than the uk! Will have a look into the site you mentioned.

Many thanks!
We got two rentals through www.homerent.ca
Same thing ... there were no hassles at all, and don't recollect giving references. The first one was arranged from the UK, and turned out quite well, though it wasn't the area we wanted to end up in. It was only for two months, and we could bring the dog!

These days, I'd certainly recommend NOT parting with any money until you see the place and meet the landlord .... too many scams running (especially on Kijiji!)
Old Dec 16th 2009, 8:26 pm
where is my wonkey.....

Originally Posted by sunyjones
When you get on the site, just choose the province you want, then city and various categories come up. Look under Housing, House Rental - I just looked under Edmonton and there are loads.

BTW, good place to find a car also if you looking to buy privately.

Hope you find something!
Thanks!!!
Old Dec 16th 2009, 8:29 pm
where is my wonkey.....

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
We got two rentals through www.homerent.ca
Same thing ... there were no hassles at all, and don't recollect giving references. The first one was arranged from the UK, and turned out quite well, though it wasn't the area we wanted to end up in. It was only for two months, and we could bring the dog!

These days, I'd certainly recommend NOT parting with any money until you see the place and meet the landlord .... too many scams running (especially on Kijiji!)
Thanks for your reply Just wanted to ask, what do I do if they say they need a deposit if we see somewhere and we've contacted them?
Thanks again
Old Dec 17th 2009, 2:41 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply Just wanted to ask, what do I do if they say they need a deposit if we see somewhere and we've contacted them?
Thanks again
Well it's up to you, if you want to part with money without physically seeing the place or meeting the landlord. As I say, we did it ourselves, but there are increasing numbers of scams where people advertise properties they've just copied from another ad, and collect as many "deposits" as they can before simply "disappearing". So it's a gamble!

It's horrible to say, and probably for a large percentage of the time you'd be perfectly safe, but think how you'd feel if you did get caught that way! My advice these days would likely be to book into a hotel/vacation property/B&B or whatever for a week or two until you get somewhere sorted that you are happy with.

Some stories for ya .... http://www.google.com/search?q=renta...rlz=1I7CYBA_en

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Dec 17th 2009 at 3:11 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.