Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How do you decide to move to Canada?

How do you decide to move to Canada?

Old Nov 23rd 2017, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you decide to move to Canada?

Originally Posted by Oink
If they don't saturate them with sauce they're not too bad. I'd give that last batch a 6.5 maybe a 6.75 but they did repeat a bit.
That's a pretty low score, I'm not sure I'd be happy with a 6.75 being my cultural highlight. An 8+ would swing it though.

I've entered a few chicken wing eating competitions. Here's a picture of me doing a speed eating challenge (I'm the bald guy on the right). These were overly saturated too.. so much so that some fat guy had to take a mid session vom. My mate next to me won this and his prize was 40 free chicken wings a month for a year!
Attached Thumbnails How do you decide to move to Canada?-fb_img_1511429013475.jpg  
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 11:48 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
...a speed eating challenge...
How does that work? I mean, does it have to be stripped to the bone? Every last morsel slurped off? What about the pointy tip pieces...untouched?
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
How does that work? I mean, does it have to be stripped to the bone? Every last morsel slurped off? What about the pointy tip pieces...untouched?

They did have a guy inspecting. The tips don't need to be removed, but all of the meat and skin between does. That does me slurping it off

Me and two friends once went to a place doing 50 chicken wings in 15 minutes. If you did it in the time limit then you didn't have to pay. We all did it and then we noticed it was buy one get one free on desserts. Two for each of us obviously..

On that day, we paid about £3.50 each and got 150 chicken wings and 6 desserts.

We laughed. The owner cried. The vegans hated.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

amycakes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ecokid
Any decision will involve compromises, but you need to ensure that those compromises aren't things which are important to being happy.
Thanks for sharing this. I think this is one of the sticking points for us, as we will need to compromise things for sure. We need to decide if making these compromises will pay off by giving us a better quality of life.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

How did I decide? Well, long story: I was in Ottawa on training for my hitec employer. Friday night, I hit the Byward Market and ended up chatting to this cute blonde. We saw each other for the remainder of my training, and when I returned to Wales we kept in touch. She came to visit me, and I would come to visit her in Ottawa over the next few years. Then, as she had taken an early retirement package, she moved to the UK to stay on a three-year residency visa, during this time we married. When the three years was nearly up, we applied for her to have Permanent Leave to Remain status in the UK. We hired a consultant who went through our paper work - and told us we would not succeed as we could not implicitly prove it was no a "marriage of convenience" - he cited that we didn't even have a joint UK bank account. This was devastating to us of course. Then, I heard of a vacancy doing the exact same job, in my employer's office in Ottawa. I applied, got the job, and my employer paid for a work visa. They would also sponsor me for PR, but I went the spousal route as it was quicker, cheaper (for my employer), and simpler. Once a PR I applied for Citizenship.
I have not looked back. It was / is the best experience of my life. I moved over in 2005 and this is my home now.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 6:25 am
Moving to Mississauga!

ScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond repute

Shakyuk you are officially my new hero!
Old Nov 24th 2017, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Snave
How did I decide?
All of these romantic chance meetings half way around the world sound like Hugh Grant films! Nice to read

Originally Posted by ScotinCanada
Shakyuk you are officially my new hero!
Thanks mate, it's a shame the chickens don't feel that way
Old Nov 25th 2017, 10:01 am
Moving to Mississauga!

ScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks mate, it's a shame the chickens don't feel that way
I wonder how many chickens you will have eaten over your lifespan so far...? 🤔 sorry totally going off topic
Old Nov 25th 2017, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Shakyuk;12388266]All of these romantic chance meetings half way around the world sound like Hugh Grant films! Nice to read

OK my Harlequin moment. I was patrolling the Wall in West Berlin British sector.
Kon Tiki tour bus arrives from being in Eastern Europe. Invites for drinks had my eye on this South African girl and ended up meeting a Canadian. Did the long distance thing ended up she moved to the UK. I decided to move the family to Canada in 1988. Now happily divorced and have never been back to the UK
Old Nov 25th 2017, 9:40 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

That's a pretty low score, I'm not sure I'd be happy with a 6.75 being my cultural highlight. An 8+ would swing it though.

I've entered a few chicken wing eating competitions. Here's a picture of me doing a speed eating challenge (I'm the bald guy on the right). These were overly saturated too.. so much so that some fat guy had to take a mid session vom. My mate next to me won this and his prize was 40 free chicken wings a month for a year!
Good work.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

This....take away all measures of rationality, say to yourself, what can go wrong, I'm a skilled personable professional. Let's do it! Then repent at leisure....then start to plan your return.😉
Old Nov 27th 2017, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ScotinCanada
I wonder how many chickens you will have eaten over your lifespan so far...? � ���� sorry totally going off topic

I'm not sure how many chickens I've eaten but I am sure that I'll be dragged in front of a court to answer for my crimes against chickens when the vegans rule the world in the not to distant future!

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
All of these romantic chance meetings half way around the world sound like Hugh Grant films! Nice to read

OK my Harlequin moment. I was patrolling the Wall in West Berlin British sector.
Kon Tiki tour bus arrives from being in Eastern Europe. Invites for drinks had my eye on this South African girl and ended up meeting a Canadian. Did the long distance thing ended up she moved to the UK. I decided to move the family to Canada in 1988. Now happily divorced and have never been back to the UK

Until the divorce that could have been an American film, but American's need happy endings... in films that is.

So... I guess it's time to look that South African up?

Last edited by Shakyuk; Nov 27th 2017 at 7:50 am.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Verdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amycakes
Thanks for sharing this. I think this is one of the sticking points for us, as we will need to compromise things for sure. We need to decide if making these compromises will pay off by giving us a better quality of life.
You're really welcome. It's a difficult decision and I can really empathise with how hard it is to make, but it's worth remembering that quality of life doesn't usually improve straight away when you emigrate: most people change jobs and areas before they find the right situation for them. If you're happy to give it a couple of years (and potentially a move or two) then I'm pretty sure that most people can find a situation where they feel happy/content with. Unless, of course, you are the type of person to derive a degree of pleasure from being perpetually discontented...

Canada is far from the utopia that some people make it out to be as that generally speaks more about their personal dissatisfaction with the UK than about the reality of life in Canada. As long as the important aspects are covered (sustenance, shelter and security) then you can choose to be happy anywhere (the UK included ) and with a little bit of work and time you can find a situation that ticks most of the boxes in Canada or in the UK (for what it's worth). If you decide to emigrate then go for it 100% and don't look back (it's the looking back that gets people!)

Last edited by Verdant; Nov 27th 2017 at 9:05 am.