Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

Old Feb 24th 2008, 10:42 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

Originally Posted by Canadian Citizen
Un-like the USA which had an official policy of extermination of the Indians ( remember all those western movies from Hollywood ? ) Canada did the exact opposite ... the US Army, who killed Indians without mercy for a period of 50 years, to help vacate the plains, so the settlers could take their land.

Canada didn't do that. We helped them to survive ...
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! That was meant to be funny, wasn't it? Genocide is, of course, the answer to most problems. More fool the lily livered Canadians.

I also do agree that Hollywood is a valuable resource for the serious historian.

Originally Posted by JonboyE
People are people, and Canada has its fair share of ignorant and bigoted ones.
QED
Old Feb 28th 2008, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

For those who want to learn a little more about the "First Nations problems", these links will certainly give you a little bit of background:

CBC Archives:

A Lost Heritage: Canada's Residential Schools

In 1928, a government official predicted Canada would end its "Indian problem" within two generations. Church-run, government-funded residential schools for native children were supposed to prepare them for life in white society. But the aims of assimilation meant devastation for those who were subjected to physical, sexual and emotional abuse. Decades later, aboriginal people began to share their stories and demand acknowledgement of — and compensation for — their stolen childhoods.

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDD-1-70-692/...ntial_schools/

National Film Board of Canada (NFB):

Colonialism and Racism

The film excerpts in this theme show the devastating effects of European colonialist policies on Aboriginal peoples. They also show acts of racism in which Aboriginal peoples have been victimized in their relations with whites.

http://www.nfb.ca/enclasse/doclens/v...excerpt=612143

One book I can highly recommend is The Resettlement of British Columbia by Cole Harris:

Winner, 1998 Clio Award - British Columbia, Canadian Historical Association

In this beautifully crafted collection of essays, Cole Harris reflects on the strategies of colonialism in British Columbia during the first 150 years after the arrival of European settlers. The pervasive displacement of indigenous people by the newcomers, the mechanisms by which it was accomplished, and the resulting effects on the landscape, social life, and history of Canada’s western-most province are examined through the dual lenses of post-colonial theory and empirical data. By providing a compelling look at the colonial construction of the province, the book revises existing perceptions of the history and geography of British Columbia.

http://www.ubcpress.ca/search/title_book.asp?BookID=163

Last edited by Lychee; Feb 28th 2008 at 10:03 am. Reason: formatting
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute

Why, if you have lived in Canada all your life are you even on the BE forum?
yes -Jim Bunting Why are you on the BE Forum. Finding your way around are you.

Ruby
Old Feb 28th 2008, 6:41 pm
jedi in training

buzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lychee
For those who want to learn a little more about the "First Nations problems", these links will certainly give you a little bit of background:

CBC Archives:

A Lost Heritage: Canada's Residential Schools

In 1928, a government official predicted Canada would end its "Indian problem" within two generations. Church-run, government-funded residential schools for native children were supposed to prepare them for life in white society. But the aims of assimilation meant devastation for those who were subjected to physical, sexual and emotional abuse. Decades later, aboriginal people began to share their stories and demand acknowledgement of — and compensation for — their stolen childhoods.

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDD-1-70-692/...ntial_schools/

National Film Board of Canada (NFB):

Colonialism and Racism

The film excerpts in this theme show the devastating effects of European colonialist policies on Aboriginal peoples. They also show acts of racism in which Aboriginal peoples have been victimized in their relations with whites.

http://www.nfb.ca/enclasse/doclens/v...excerpt=612143

One book I can highly recommend is The Resettlement of British Columbia by Cole Harris:

Winner, 1998 Clio Award - British Columbia, Canadian Historical Association

In this beautifully crafted collection of essays, Cole Harris reflects on the strategies of colonialism in British Columbia during the first 150 years after the arrival of European settlers. The pervasive displacement of indigenous people by the newcomers, the mechanisms by which it was accomplished, and the resulting effects on the landscape, social life, and history of Canada’s western-most province are examined through the dual lenses of post-colonial theory and empirical data. By providing a compelling look at the colonial construction of the province, the book revises existing perceptions of the history and geography of British Columbia.

http://www.ubcpress.ca/search/title_book.asp?BookID=163
Thank you for that.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:22 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

The question/s of the first nations people, what and why there are problems is something that interests me. Thanks to all who have given links to reading material.

When we first came here a (British) friend was saying that they (his company) tried to employ native people, but on the whole they were very poor workers. He said they would be OK for a while but once they had received a couple of paychecks and could afford their new fridge or TV or truck they would get less and less reliable, turning up late for work, or drunk or not at all. That was one viewpoint. He seemed genuinely sad about it.

On racism, in the hospital I worked in last, one old biddy complained that it was wrong she had to share a room "with an Indian". One or two people seemed shocked at the comment. I hadn't even perceived her room-mate to be of native extraction, not like Chief Drunkenhorse in the next ward! (who was a very nice, reserved (no pun intended) and shy gentleman btw)

A young first-nations man came to our clinic with a terrible arthritic hip, which obviously needed replacing. He had a long and complex history of injury to that leg and hip sice childhood. He was under-nourished and seemed drowsy and was slurring his speech and very subdued the day he came. He was advised the only treatment would be joint replacement. He has not returned to the clinic.

So my only personal contacts with first-nations people have been rather saddening. I see them sleeping (and/or obviously under the influence) on the LRT, but then I see young white guys and those of other ethnicities as well.

I always feel sad for these people who appear to have so little joy in their lives, whatever their race.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 2:41 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Morwenna;5997472]The question/s of the first nations people, what and why there are problems is something that interests me. Thanks to all who have given links to reading material.

When we first came here a (British) friend was saying that they (his company) tried to employ native people, but on the whole they were very poor workers. He said they would be OK for a while but once they had received a couple of paychecks and could afford their new fridge or TV or truck they would get less and less reliable, turning up late for work, or drunk or not at all. That was one viewpoint. He seemed genuinely sad about it. QUOTE]

I'm wondering if this could be something to do with their mind-set, their way of thinking. Not saying this very well, but these are people who have never put much stock in material possessions, brand names, the latest Must Haves, "image", whatever you want to call it. Everything they needed they got from the natural world. It was not a society that needed to earn money to exchange for Things, so maybe this is why they tend to earn what they need for what they have to buy at that time...........the incentive is short-lived. Is it our fault, in some way, trying to get them to live our way of life, rather than their own? I think in order to understand what's going on, we have to try to think like they think. Does anyone in government ever ask them what they really want, or are they afraid of the answer?
Or am I talking through a hole in the back of my head?
Old Feb 29th 2008, 2:42 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

And why, when I want to include a QUOTE from someone, does it do that...see above..it doesn't change to the small blue text?
Old Feb 29th 2008, 2:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbag
And why, when I want to include a QUOTE from someone, does it do that...see above..it doesn't change to the small blue text?
You're missing [/ in front of QUOTE after the text you're quoting. All quotes start with a tag:

{QUOTE=oldbag;5999359}

and end with a tag

{/QUOTE}

note that the squiggly brackets in my example should be square brackets but, if I did that, the examples would go all quoty.

Like this:

and end with a tag
Old Feb 29th 2008, 2:48 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Because if you look closely you deleted the square bracket and slash at the beginning of the close quote.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 3:11 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=oldbag;5999355]
Originally Posted by Morwenna
I'm wondering if this could be something to do with their mind-set, their way of thinking. Not saying this very well, but these are people who have never put much stock in material possessions, brand names, the latest Must Haves, "image", whatever you want to call it. Everything they needed they got from the natural world. It was not a society that needed to earn money to exchange for Things, so maybe this is why they tend to earn what they need for what they have to buy at that time...........the incentive is short-lived.
The Coast Salish (The First Nation on the West Coast) had no concept of personal possessions in their traditional culture. Everything belonged to the tribe.

Every year they held a ceremony called a potlatch. This was held in a different village each year. During the ceremony each of the village chiefs would give the host chief all their village's possessions. The host village would hold the possessions until the next year when they would give them to the host village that year, and so on. The result: no one owned anything, but all were responsible for protecting everything.

Not surprisingly, the British outlawed the potlatch ceremony.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 3:29 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm wondering if this could be something to do with their mind-set, their way of thinking. Not saying this very well, but these are people who have never put much stock in material possessions, brand names, the latest Must Haves, "image", whatever you want to call it. Everything they needed they got from the natural world. It was not a society that needed to earn money to exchange for Things, so maybe this is why they tend to earn what they need for what they have to buy at that time...........the incentive is short-lived. Is it our fault, in some way, trying to get them to live our way of life, rather than their own? I think in order to understand what's going on, we have to try to think like they think. Does anyone in government ever ask them what they really want, or are they afraid of the answer?

I do understand what you're are saying about differences in world view, culture and histories and there is a sort of valid point in that that can be applied in certain instances but... not all Aboriginal peoples think the same way, have the same values, live the same lifestyles, etc... nor are all Aborignal cultures a culture, eg., there are huge cultural differences between the Haida culture on the coast here is vastly different then the Innu culture of Labrador. And there are differences in the lives of FN people who live on reserves, those who chose not to but maintain their traditional ways, those who live in urban areas, those who live abroad, etc....

If anyone's notion of a First Nations person is someone living on a reserve, with little material possessions, in a shabby house... they need to shake their heads.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 3:41 pm
itchy feet again!

[QUOTE=JonboyE;5999442]

The Coast Salish (The First Nation on the West Coast) had no concept of personal possessions in their traditional culture. Everything belonged to the tribe.

Every year they held a ceremony called a potlatch. This was held in a different village each year. During the ceremony each of the village chiefs would give the host chief all their village's possessions. The host village would hold the possessions until the next year when they would give them to the host village that year, and so on. The result: no one owned anything, but all were responsible for protecting everything.

Not surprisingly, the British outlawed the potlatch ceremony.

Now I am confused....how did you get my post to look like Morwenna's??
Old Feb 29th 2008, 3:42 pm
itchy feet again!

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Because if you look closely you deleted the square bracket and slash at the beginning of the close quote.
Thank you dbd33 and Steve P............notes taken
Old Feb 29th 2008, 3:56 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
I do understand what you're are saying about differences in world view, culture and histories and there is a sort of valid point in that that can be applied in certain instances but... not all Aboriginal peoples think the same way, have the same values, live the same lifestyles, etc... nor are all Aborignal cultures a culture, eg., there are huge cultural differences between the Haida culture on the coast here is vastly different then the Innu culture of Labrador. And there are differences in the lives of FN people who live on reserves, those who chose not to but maintain their traditional ways, those who live in urban areas, those who live abroad, etc....

If anyone's notion of a First Nations person is someone living on a reserve, with little material possessions, in a shabby house... they need to shake their heads.
So we maybe start to see why there's a problem.

But it's all very well saying "we shouldn't expect them to fit with our way of life", but what options do they have? They don't all want to ride around the plains driving buffalo off cliffs (presumably). They do want moden conveniences and gadgets (some do anyway). They like to feel that they have independence in how they rule themselves etc, but they are too often prey to modern afflictions and addictions, eg alcoholism and gambling.

Does anyone have any bright ideas? I have the impression that the problem is much more complicated than any one factor, eg racism from "the whites" or the mindset of "the natives".
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
So we maybe start to see why there's a problem.

But it's all very well saying "we shouldn't expect them to fit with our way of life", but what options do they have? They don't all want to ride around the plains driving buffalo off cliffs (presumably). They do want moden conveniences and gadgets (some do anyway). They like to feel that they have independence in how they rule themselves etc, but they are too often prey to modern afflictions and addictions, eg alcoholism and gambling.

Does anyone have any bright ideas? I have the impression that the problem is much more complicated than any one factor, eg racism from "the whites" or the mindset of "the natives".
Well, a lot of non-natives think that natives want to get back to a way of life before modern technologies, which isn't true. Although non-natives focus on pre-modern native lifestyles, contemporary native culture is not tied to pre-modern technologies any more than any other culture. British culture is not stuck in Stonehenge or Warwick Castle. It's an entire lifestyle and mentality that they're trying to preserve, not pre-modern technologies. For hundreds of years throughout colonization, natives were using modern technologies (guns, European clothing, etc). Technologies can advance and you can still retain your culture.

First Nations (which consist of dozens of different cultures and languages as diverse as Europes varied languages and cultures) are in a recovery procress, trying to restore their broken culture, languages, and identity with dignity.

Many First Nations were screwed over by the government in a variety of ways. Breaking treaty agreements, promising them land for hunting/fishing and then giving them unproductive slivers of land, etc. All one has to do is understand Canadian history and the Royal Proclamation of 1763, and you will begin to understand how these problems began.

But the issues are so complex. The residential schooling system, which existed as late as 1986 (!!!!) is an example of Canadian government sponsored cultural genocide.

We must also remember that the First Nations were an oral society, passing on traditions and history orally. The British/Canadian government took children from their parents, forced them to learn English, banned indigenous languages, made the potlatch and powwow's illegal (imagine making Christmas and New Year's illegal), took away all indigenous cultural items, etc. Family histories that were passed on from generation to generation halted. All of a sudden the links to the past have been severed forever.

Also, these children were taken away from the parents. When they themselves had children, they had no parenting skills.

After generations of broken government promises, being ignored, residential schools (full of physical, sexual and emotional abuse), and having your culture made illegal, you end up with an entire nation of people who have no link to their past heritage, who have lost thousands of years of history and identity. I can only imagine how wary they are of the government. The government hoped these people would disappear or assimilate, but it never happened.

Right now I think we're in the process of recovery, hence the myriad of apparent social problems. It's recovering and healing from the loss of an identity. Many natives find it a hopeless situation.

Of course, I should also mention that the Canadian government gives anybody with native heritage (directly or indirectly) "Indian status" which gives them certain rights. Off the top of my head, they are able to hunt or fish at times and in areas which are often off limits to non-native Canadians. They are exempt from certain taxes and they get free education, etc. However, I think these special agreements are only valid if they live on a reservation. But reservations, which are federal jurisdiction, are often so full of poverty.

As well, there are often conflicts between provincial jurisdiction and federal jurisdiction, so such issues can be complicated. And then you have Canadians who just see natives as being freeloaders, or who disagree with them getting special treatment. But the natives fully take advantage of their special rights because its one of the few forms of empowerment they're able to take advantage of.

Anyhow, I am rambling on and on, but perhaps it will give a few people a hint of this "tip of the iceberg".

Last edited by Lychee; Feb 29th 2008 at 6:09 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.