Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

Old Mar 2nd 2008, 6:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Imagine a town where half the people are green and half the people are orange.
Er, that is the case here, in Dufferin County. A local shopkeeper who is willing to deal with either orange or green people has one side of his building painted orange and one green. This part of Canada isn't so much the "England in the fifties" emmigrants want as "Northern Ireland in the fifties".
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 6:42 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Er, that is the case here, in Dufferin County. A local shopkeeper who is willing to deal with either orange or green people has one side of his building painted orange and one green. This part of Canada isn't so much the "England in the fifties" emmigrants want as "Northern Ireland in the fifties".
Oh bu**er. These were supposed to be totally random colours. No catholic/protestant or loyalist/republican connotations were intended.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty
I also know that in real life people discriminate and so you have to legislate against idiots who discriminate.
Why would you want to work for someone who hates you, just because the government forces them to hire you? Not only will you be treated badly, but anyone who turns down the best candidate for the job because they're white/black/brown/green is unlikely to be running a viable business for long.

I'd much rather that racist people were open about it so I knew who to avoid.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 7:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Oh bu**er. These were supposed to be totally random colours. No catholic/protestant or loyalist/republican connotations were intended.

G'won, you're a subliminal religionist!
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Why would you want to work for someone who hates you, just because the government forces them to hire you? Not only will you be treated badly, but anyone who turns down the best candidate for the job because they're white/black/brown/green is unlikely to be running a viable business for long.

I'd much rather that racist people were open about it so I knew who to avoid.
I live this, I need the money. I would rather be paid what I am worth than say I am too proud to have the help.

People do turn down the best candidate for the job. They stay in business for years. Discrimination is pretty rife. In one job I was paid several thousand pounds less because I wasnt allowed to work in some areas, so couldnt work overtime. I was made to feel inferior and that they were doing me a favour by letting me work there. If I had stood up for my rights and made a fuss then I would have been richer, had a better pension. I can see that now I am no longer in that environment.
So I would rather be treated badly and be paid my due than be treated badly and patted on the head.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 8:00 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
G'won, you're a subliminal religionist!
I treat all religions with equal bewilderment.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Jonboy ... your analogy was a good one and hit the mark. You are very eloquent and persuasive. Nevertheless, on principle, I find positive discimination irksome. Two wrongs don't make a right.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 12:09 am
jedi in training

buzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by montreal mike
Jonboy ... your analogy was a good one and hit the mark. You are very eloquent and persuasive. Nevertheless, on principle, I find irksome. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Your right two wrongs dont make a right, but if things like this we not in place those who have less will never have the chance to gain more. Positive discimination only came about because it was recognised that curtain parts of society were not given the chance to take up a stake in the society they live in. In all fairness if there had been a level playing field in the first place we wouldnt be having this as a topic. It amuses me that i often hear people saying that they are missing out on jobs because of Positive discimination, but often, in the case of older people, they were fine while people were being openly disciminated against.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by buzz365
It amuses me that i often hear people saying that they are missing out on jobs because of Positive discimination, but often, in the case of older people, they were fine while people were being openly disciminated against.
Just to be clear -- are you saying that younger people who claim to be missing out on getting jobs but are indifferent to the plight of the older crowd?

If I am correct, well I can tell you that once one is over 55 one is good for the rubbish heap and so it is yet another hurdle to overcome. So, using the positive discrimination magic pill I would expect there would be some spots 'reserved' for my generation. So far that has not been my experience.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Just to be clear -- are you saying that younger people who claim to be missing out on getting jobs but are indifferent to the plight of the older crowd?

If I am correct, well I can tell you that once one is over 55 one is good for the rubbish heap and so it is yet another hurdle to overcome. So, using the positive discrimination magic pill I would expect there would be some spots 'reserved' for my generation. So far that has not been my experience.
It just doesnt work like that. Theres no magic pill
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by daft batty
It just doesnt work like that. Theres no magic pill
I know that Betty. I was attempting sarcasm.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 8:00 pm
jedi in training

buzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of light

No mike, what im saying is before positive discrimination was introduced those in who had earlier had the privileged high ground didnt find it a problem when others were being discriminated against.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Canadian Citizen
Montreal Mike :

.... news stories about the criminal gangs that are operating on the St Regis reserve. Surely you have seen the coverage on Montreal tv or radio about the amount of criminal activity there ?

Interesting comment in light of today's happenings

A massive police raid at three different Mohawk reserves in Quebec Wednesday morning netted $2.5 million in cash and a large firearms cache, including three grenade launchers.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...hub=TopStories

Last edited by montreal mike; Mar 26th 2008 at 11:36 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 5:17 am
Just Joined

VancouverNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Theres a lot of ignorance here - but that doesn't necessarily translate into racism- a lot of it is just lack of understanding.

many white folks have only experienced other races in the media and are therefore subjected to the stereotype image imposed on them. Only when meeting and interacting with other ethnic groups and religions can these stereotype images be broken down.

a lot of stuff that is mistaken as racism is sometimes just opinions (often mistaken) sometimes factually correct. Comments like "chinese are bad drivers" or "east indians are into drug-traffiking" seem to be racist on the surface,and by european standards will be classified as racist. Here, commenting, without disparaging, other races is not taboo. It is normal to ask "where are you from?" without it implying in any way, that "you don't really belong here". It is probably because everyone is from a different ethnicity that race can be discussed more freely here.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 12:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by VancouverNewbie
many white folks have only experienced other races in the media
Where have they been, rural Canada? Britain's been multicultural since Hector was a pup.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.