Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

Old Feb 29th 2008, 6:50 pm
  #136  
Binned by Muderators
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: White Rock BC
Posts: 11,631
JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

Thank you Lychee. I think you put that very well.
JonboyE is offline  
Old Feb 29th 2008, 6:58 pm
  #137  
little snowy owl
 
Alberta_Rose's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,921
Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
..... Many natives find it a hopeless situation.

.... and that's the saddest thing. Thank you for your informative contribution.
Alberta_Rose is offline  
Old Feb 29th 2008, 7:37 pm
  #138  
BE Forum Addict
 
daft batty's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,234
daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
Well, a lot of non-natives think that natives want to get back to a way of life before modern technologies, which isn't true. Although non-natives focus on pre-modern native lifestyles, contemporary native culture is not tied to pre-modern technologies any more than any other culture. British culture is not stuck in Stonehenge or Warwick Castle. It's an entire lifestyle and mentality that they're trying to preserve, not pre-modern technologies. For hundreds of years throughout colonization, natives were using modern technologies (guns, European clothing, etc). Technologies can advance and you can still retain your culture.

First Nations (which consist of dozens of different cultures and languages as diverse as Europes varied languages and cultures) are in a recovery procress, trying to restore their broken culture, languages, and identity with dignity.

Many First Nations were screwed over by the government in a variety of ways. Breaking treaty agreements, promising them land for hunting/fishing and then giving them unproductive slivers of land, etc. All one has to do is understand Canadian history and the Royal Proclamation of 1763, and you will begin to understand how these problems began.

But the issues are so complex. The residential schooling system, which existed as late as 1986 (!!!!) is an example of Canadian government sponsored cultural genocide.

We must also remember that the First Nations were an oral society, passing on traditions and history orally. The British/Canadian government took children from their parents, forced them to learn English, banned indigenous languages, made the potlatch and powwow's illegal (imagine making Christmas and New Year's illegal), took away all indigenous cultural items, etc. Family histories that were passed on from generation to generation halted. All of a sudden the links to the past have been severed forever.

Also, these children were taken away from the parents. When they themselves had children, they had no parenting skills.

After generations of broken government promises, being ignored, residential schools (full of physical, sexual and emotional abuse), and having your culture made illegal, you end up with an entire nation of people who have no link to their past heritage, who have lost thousands of years of history and identity. I can only imagine how wary they are of the government. The government hoped these people would disappear or assimilate, but it never happened.

Right now I think we're in the process of recovery, hence the myriad of apparent social problems. It's recovering and healing from the loss of an identity. Many natives find it a hopeless situation.

Of course, I should also mention that the Canadian government gives anybody with native heritage (directly or indirectly) "Indian status" which gives them certain rights. Off the top of my head, they are able to hunt or fish at times and in areas which are often off limits to non-native Canadians. They are exempt from certain taxes and they get free education, etc. However, I think these special agreements are only valid if they live on a reservation. But reservations, which are federal jurisdiction, are often so full of poverty.

As well, there are often conflicts between provincial jurisdiction and federal jurisdiction, so such issues can be complicated. And then you have Canadians who just see natives as being freeloaders, or who disagree with them getting special treatment. But the natives fully take advantage of their special rights because its one of the few forms of empowerment they're able to take advantage of.

Anyhow, I am rambling on and on, but perhaps it will give a few people a hint of this "tip of the iceberg".
I'm glad you did ramble on and on. Thats a very powerful post and it summarised so many points. I want to know more and I now have an idea of where to look. I hope others do too.
daft batty is offline  
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:04 pm
  #139  
itchy feet again!
 
Jay Bird's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Ex-Canada: now rural West Sussex.
Posts: 1,013
Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
Well, a lot of non-natives think that natives want to get back to a way of life before modern technologies, which isn't true. Although non-natives focus on pre-modern native lifestyles, contemporary native culture is not tied to pre-modern technologies any more than any other culture. British culture is not stuck in Stonehenge or Warwick Castle. It's an entire lifestyle and mentality that they're trying to preserve, not pre-modern technologies. For hundreds of years throughout colonization, natives were using modern technologies (guns, European clothing, etc). Technologies can advance and you can still retain your culture.

First Nations (which consist of dozens of different cultures and languages as diverse as Europes varied languages and cultures) are in a recovery procress, trying to restore their broken culture, languages, and identity with dignity.

Many First Nations were screwed over by the government in a variety of ways. Breaking treaty agreements, promising them land for hunting/fishing and then giving them unproductive slivers of land, etc. All one has to do is understand Canadian history and the Royal Proclamation of 1763, and you will begin to understand how these problems began.

But the issues are so complex. The residential schooling system, which existed as late as 1986 (!!!!) is an example of Canadian government sponsored cultural genocide.

We must also remember that the First Nations were an oral society, passing on traditions and history orally. The British/Canadian government took children from their parents, forced them to learn English, banned indigenous languages, made the potlatch and powwow's illegal (imagine making Christmas and New Year's illegal), took away all indigenous cultural items, etc. Family histories that were passed on from generation to generation halted. All of a sudden the links to the past have been severed forever.

Also, these children were taken away from the parents. When they themselves had children, they had no parenting skills.

After generations of broken government promises, being ignored, residential schools (full of physical, sexual and emotional abuse), and having your culture made illegal, you end up with an entire nation of people who have no link to their past heritage, who have lost thousands of years of history and identity. I can only imagine how wary they are of the government. The government hoped these people would disappear or assimilate, but it never happened.

Right now I think we're in the process of recovery, hence the myriad of apparent social problems. It's recovering and healing from the loss of an identity. Many natives find it a hopeless situation.

Of course, I should also mention that the Canadian government gives anybody with native heritage (directly or indirectly) "Indian status" which gives them certain rights. Off the top of my head, they are able to hunt or fish at times and in areas which are often off limits to non-native Canadians. They are exempt from certain taxes and they get free education, etc. However, I think these special agreements are only valid if they live on a reservation. But reservations, which are federal jurisdiction, are often so full of poverty.

As well, there are often conflicts between provincial jurisdiction and federal jurisdiction, so such issues can be complicated. And then you have Canadians who just see natives as being freeloaders, or who disagree with them getting special treatment. But the natives fully take advantage of their special rights because its one of the few forms of empowerment they're able to take advantage of.

Anyhow, I am rambling on and on, but perhaps it will give a few people a hint of this "tip of the iceberg".
Thank you for your informative ramble.........karma for putting into words what I was trying to say, but lacked the knowledge and eloquence
Jay Bird is offline  
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:08 pm
  #140  
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,020
bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

Let's hope things get sorted out soon so the powers that be can get over their collective guilt and start putting something a bit more interesting in the museums. I think I've seen enough reconstructions of the inside of a native home to last me a lifetime.
bazzz is offline  
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:22 pm
  #141  
BE Forum Addict
 
YYZlover's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto - I belong there.
Posts: 2,251
YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

Originally Posted by Lychee View Post

Many First Nations were screwed over by the government in a variety of ways.
A friend in US told me his grand father had been promised 40 acres and a mle when he was released from slavery. Of course he never got the 40 acres, nor the mule.

We must also remember that the First Nations were an oral society, passing on traditions and history orally. The British/Canadian government took children from their parents, forced them to learn English, banned indigenous languages, made the potlatch and powwow's illegal (imagine making Christmas and New Year's illegal), took away all indigenous cultural items, etc. Family histories that were passed on from generation to generation halted. All of a sudden the links to the past have been severed forever.
Although the movie is about the australian government and what they did to the aboriginals it is very much the same. Anyone who wants to gain a sliver of understanding of aboriginals/first nations in today's society should see "Rabbit Proof Fence"

It should be compulsory viewing in schools.

I too thank you for your rambles.
YYZlover is offline  
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:47 pm
  #142  
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,020
bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

Originally Posted by YYZlover View Post
Anyone who wants to gain a sliver of understanding of aboriginals/first nations in today's society should see "Rabbit Proof Fence"
We watched this. Mrs Bazzz was very disappointed by the lack of bunny rabbits.
bazzz is offline  
Old Mar 1st 2008, 12:28 am
  #143  
itchy feet again!
 
Jay Bird's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Ex-Canada: now rural West Sussex.
Posts: 1,013
Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

Originally Posted by bazzz View Post
We watched this. Mrs Bazzz was very disappointed by the lack of bunny rabbits.

Do you have to try hard to be silly, or does it come naturally?
Jay Bird is offline  
Old Mar 1st 2008, 3:13 pm
  #144  
BE Enthusiast
 
mc_dub's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Centre of the universe (Toronto)
Posts: 432
mc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud of
Default Re: How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

Originally Posted by oldbag View Post
Do you have to try hard to be silly, or does it come naturally?
He's making a point
mc_dub is offline  
Old Mar 1st 2008, 6:03 pm
  #145  
itchy feet again!
 
Jay Bird's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Ex-Canada: now rural West Sussex.
Posts: 1,013
Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

Originally Posted by mc_dub View Post
He's making a point
You think?
Jay Bird is offline  
Old Mar 1st 2008, 6:37 pm
  #146  
jedi in training
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 249
buzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

Originally Posted by mc_dub View Post
He's making a point
Which is?
buzz365 is offline  
Old Mar 1st 2008, 6:40 pm
  #147  
little snowy owl
 
Alberta_Rose's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,921
Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

Originally Posted by buzz365 View Post
Which is?
North-by-north-west.
Alberta_Rose is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 12:32 am
  #148  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,124
montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

I find this thread so far interesting and predictably it deals with indians, natives, first nations, whatever the term.

But what of the newcomers, the ones that got off the boat more recently. Those non-caucasians from Africa, Asia and Latin America?

Does anyone here know what some of them have to put up with?
montreal mike is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 12:42 am
  #149  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 38,555
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

Originally Posted by montreal mike View Post
Does anyone here know what some of them have to put up with?
My friend cruikshank is Indian, her husband Swedish, their children are lighter skinned than her and so she is taken to be their nanny. I imagine that's quite awkward.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 1:08 am
  #150  
itchy feet again!
 
Jay Bird's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Ex-Canada: now rural West Sussex.
Posts: 1,013
Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

I'm white, English, reasonably intelligent and articulate, reasonably well educated (60's grammar school and college), held fairly demanding and responsible jobs in the UK, but cannot get work - at all, of any kind - in this town, and have been told to my face that I "should lose my accent", and "the Brits are not very popular here" (although I'm not told why)......is this racism?
Jay Bird is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.