Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

Old Apr 1st 2008, 5:48 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

Originally Posted by websheep
He then got very defensive and asked "where I was from", then proceeded to call me an ignorant foreigner and that I didn't know anything about how things work in Canada.

The bartender is a bigot, if not a racist.
I'm intrigued as to why he needed to know where you were from! This points to his being a racist, which is defined in the OED as ......"discrimination against or antagonism towards other races."
If he hadn't asked where you are from, it would just have been a bit of an argy-bargy.
Bigot? Racist? Same difference in certain situations...........Roget's Thesaurus groups them together with various other useful words.
I had a similar situation with a woman in a well-known DIY store, who refused to give me the address of the head office saying, in a very sneering way "THEY won't do anything about it" How wrong was she!
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

websheep is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by oldbag
If he hadn't asked where you are from, it would just have been a bit of an argy-bargy.
Exactly.

Oh well, I'm over it now. On the bright side, I've now got a good reason to not go to the pub, esp. when my mates try to drag me out
Old May 29th 2008, 6:41 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting article.................

http://www.reuters.com/article/lates.../idUSN21390521