Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

Old Mar 28th 2008, 4:33 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

I'd have to agree that in general Chinese folks are bad drivers. Of course some of them drive well. But a lot drive really badly...
Old Mar 28th 2008, 6:06 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

What a good way to look at it! And to be fair an excellent way to describe the issues to younger ones - nice one Jon
Old Mar 28th 2008, 6:14 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry forgot to quote Jons Orange and Green scenario from 2 pages ago in the post above
Old Mar 28th 2008, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

mitosblog will become famous soon enough

Racism is all over the world, it's hard to remain as one race now. The world is getting very multiculturalised and we started to know more and respect one another.

The best is to report to the police officers or the agency dealing with anti-racism.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 6:09 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

I always find it hilarious that it is called racism.

We are all one race - the human race.

People are just hyper retarded and sadly, if we are a "race" then we are losing. Badly.

Peace and goodnight all.

Over and out.

R. AKA The noveau hippy.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

websheep is an unknown quantity at this point

Racism happens everywhere.

I've lived in 7 countries, so Toronto is much better than some. Still....

I had a bartender at the Black Bull Tavern in Toronto make a racist comment to me yesterday. It sucks, but what can you do?

To add insult to injury they automatically added tip to the bill. Nice...
Old Mar 30th 2008, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really nice

Originally Posted by websheep

I had a bartender at the Black Bull Tavern in Toronto make a racist comment to me yesterday. It sucks, but what can you do?

Make your feelings known and then vote with your feet....

Last edited by Mrs Muesli; Mar 30th 2008 at 3:00 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

What did the bartender say exactly?

The reason I ask is that what may seem racist to one person may indeed not be the case. Here the context, body language, and tone are important also so as to give the proper perspective.

What lead to the comment or was it made out of the blue?

Was it truly racist or simply an ill-advised uncouth remark?

Voting with ones feet is effective but did you complain to the bar's management? Were there witnesses?
Old Mar 30th 2008, 3:09 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike

Voting with ones feet is effective but did you complain to the bar's management? Were there witnesses?
Should one sue..... ah the stresses of modern life.

R.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

The reason I ask is that what may seem racist to one person may indeed not be the case. Here the context, body language, and tone are important also so as to give the proper perspective.

Was it truly racist or simply an ill-advised uncouth remark? Voting with ones feet is effective but did you complain to the bar's management? Were there witnesses?
One and the same thing.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty
One and the same thing.
Agreed .. any racist remark is ill-advised.

But the question asked is was what was said racist? That is why I posed the question in the first place. I am always sceptical when I hear the word racism invoked and I never take it for granted. Having lived in five countries on three continents I am aware of a few cases where the word 'racist' or 'racism' was used but upon close inspection this was not the intent.

Just look back at some of the fascinating/bizarre posts made on this very thread and some of the oh-so predictable conclusions reached or assumptions made.

Last edited by montreal mike; Mar 30th 2008 at 6:41 pm. Reason: Trying my best to clarify for those who would want to listen and remain objective.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

websheep is an unknown quantity at this point

Was it truly racist or simply an ill-advised uncouth remark?

*Sigh* It's a long story and an unnecessary turn of events. Basically, this is an English-style pub selling "pints" for CN$7.50 inc. tax and mandatory tip. When we were served, we noticed they were smaller glasses. So we also ordered a bottle of beer (12oz and $2 cheaper) to see if we were actually right or just imagining things. Well, it fit 12oz perfectly!

I had an issue with being ripped off - I know that pints in canada are supposed to be 480ml/16oz (not quite the 568ml/20oz in England), so I went to speak to the bartender. Basically, I said that if they wanted to sell a 12oz glass of beer that's fine, but they can't advertise them as "pints" (ie. there was an assumption that we would receive 16oz glasses).

He laughed arrogantly and asked me "what I was going to do about it". I said I wanted the bar's details so I could file a complaint to the Better Business Bureau. He then got very defensive and asked "where I was from", then proceeded to call me an ignorant foreigner and that I didn't know anything about how things work in Canada. When I asked him again to give me the bar's information (and his name now, as well), he refused and walked off.

All he had to do was give me the information I requested. It's not like I held the bartender personally responsible for the bar's unethical business practises.

I'm actually more insulted by the bartender's attitude and words, than the price of those so-called pints. That kind of behaviour is just not on. You may not think it's racist because he didn't call me the "n" word, but if you don't think that was horribly xenophobic behaviour - especially in a country where the hospitality industry relies on tips for good customer service, then perhaps you should visit this bar for yourself to enjoy their spectacular service.

No wonder they have a mandatory 15% tip added.

And for the record, I've lived in 7 countries over 4 continents in my time (and traveled to over 20 more), so I do know a little about cultural integration. And I do not like to play the "race card". I agree that some people can be a little too sensitive about being "different". I'm not. Toronto has been the most tolerant place I've lived in and I'm willing to accept this as a once-off. I was there with a group of Canadian friends and they were all shocked and apologetic for how I had been treated.

The bartender is a bigot, if not a racist.

Last edited by websheep; Mar 30th 2008 at 10:20 pm. Reason: typo
Old Mar 30th 2008, 10:01 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

He laughed arrogantly and asked me "what I was going to do about it". I said I wanted the bar's details so I could file a complaint to the Better Business Bureau. He then got very defensive and asked "where I was from", then proceed to call me an ignorant foreigner and that I don't know anything about how things work in Canada. When I asked him again to give me the bar's information (and his name now, as well), he refused and walked off.
I wouldn't be bothering reporting them to the Better Business Bureau, I would be contacting the Ontario Liquor Control Board or whoever is responsible for issuing said pubs licence.

Cheers
Steve
Old Mar 30th 2008, 10:29 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I wouldn't be bothering reporting them to the Better Business Bureau, I would be contacting the Ontario Liquor Control Board or whoever is responsible for issuing said pubs licence.

Cheers
Steve
Agreed, much more productive.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

He laughed arrogantly and asked me "what I was going to do about it". I said I wanted the bar's details so I could file a complaint to the Better Business Bureau. He then got very defensive and asked "where I was from", then proceed to call me an ignorant foreigner and that I don't know anything about how things work in Canada. When I asked him again to give me the bar's information (and his name now, as well), he refused and walked off.

I'm actually more insulted by the bartender's attitude and words, than the price of those so-called pints. That kind of behaviour is just not on. You may not think it's racist because he didn't call me the "n" word, but if you don't think that was horribly xenophobic behaviour - especially in a country where the hospitality industry relies on tips for good customer service, then perhaps you should visit this bar for yourself to enjoy their spectacular service.

And for the record, I've lived in 7 countries over 4 continents in my time (and traveled to over 20 more), so I do know a little about cultural integration. And I do not like to play the "race card". I agree that some people can be a little too sensitive about being "different". I'm not. Toronto has been the most tolerant place I've lived in and I'm willing to accept this as a once-off. I was there with a group of Canadian friends and they were all shocked and apologetic for how I had been treated.

The bartender is a bigot, if not a racist.
Bigot yes.

Racist? Perhaps so but in fairness I would say it was borderline.

The fact he didn't use the 'n' word proves nothing. One can be just as racist by ones attitude and body language without necessarily being explicit.

I lived in India shortly after their gaining independence. I saw some good examples of hate of foreigners (whites).

I saw real hate between Hindus and Moslems. It might not have been racism per se but it wasn't very nice.

I grew up in England after the war. Since I am only part English (one quarter) when I was five years old I was told to 'go home *****ing foreigner' by children who obviously were repeating what they heard at home.

So I won't debate whether it was racism in your case but it was uncalled for abuse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.