Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:25 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

Originally Posted by marclouis
I was suprised when an old friend i normally respect from Van recently told me her area was going downhill, now that loads of "Iranians" were moving in. She told me they are the cause of all the drug crime and rising property prices. If felt it was a pretty racist point of view. I felt quite uncomfortable hearing that, for her it sounded so matter of fact.
But did you say anything to her about your discomfort, or did you just let it ride?
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:26 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

This thread and its putrid ranting makes me puke. As does the miserable petty whining of angry old conservative uptight white men.

R.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:32 pm

marclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to all

Originally Posted by oldbag
But did you say anything to her about your discomfort, or did you just let it ride?
I changed the subject, shes an older lady, normally very decent, with friends from all ethnic backgrounds, and i am not an "anglo" brit. I have to leave it be.
I am not sure she could tell the difference between an Iraqi, Iranian or Indian.

It is the only time i have seen racism in canada first hand, but then again i have only spent 30 days in total there.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rich_007
This thread and its putrid ranting makes me puke. As does the miserable petty whining of angry old conservative uptight white men.

R.
C'mon Rich - don't hold back - say how you really feel!
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really nice

I changed the subject, shes an older lady, normally very decent, with friends from all ethnic backgrounds, and i am not an "anglo" brit. I have to leave it be.
I am not sure she could tell the difference between an Iraqi, Iranian or Indian.

It is the only time i have seen racism in canada first hand, but then again i have only spent 30 days in total there.
Whether she can tell the difference between races is hardly the point..............leaving "it be", as you opted to do just condones the behaviour
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:36 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

I was suprised when an old friend i normally respect from Van recently told me her area was going downhill, now that loads of "Iranians" were moving in. She told me they are the cause of all the drug crime and rising property prices.
Maybe she was right.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:36 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Muesli
Whether she can tell the difference between races is hardly the point..............leaving "it be", as you opted to do just condones the behaviour
Darn it, Mrs M.....that's what I was going to say!
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:38 pm
itchy feet again!

Originally Posted by bazzz
Maybe she was right.
Possibly - but marclouis said he felt "uncomfortable" hearing her comments..............that's why I asked him the question.....
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:40 pm
jedi in training

buzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of light

i understand your point but sometimes if you comment on these things the people making them claim that is YOU that has the problem and the old cliche comes out " chip on your shoulder".
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by buzz365
i understand your point but sometimes if you comment on these things the people making them claim that is YOU that has the problem and the old cliche comes out " chip on your shoulder".

So it just keeps on rolling, then, because people are afraid to tackle it......it's a good thing we don't all subscribe to that lily-livered approach isn't it!
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:43 pm

marclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to all

Whether she can tell the difference between races is hardly the point
I just wanted the reader to understand what sort of person we are talking about.

leaving "it be", as you opted to do just condones the behaviour
I disagree. It wasnt the time or the place, when i am living as a resident and not a guest in her house i will have that luxury.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

I just wanted the reader to understand what sort of person we are talking about.

I disagree. It wasnt the time or the place, when i am living as a resident and not a guest in her house i will have that luxury.

Ah - yes, you are in a delicate situation. Understood - apologies, and I will climb down from my high horse!
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by bazzz
Maybe she was right.
seemed a contradiction to me, escalate crime and drive property prices up.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:52 pm
jedi in training

buzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of light

So it just keeps on rolling, then, because people are afraid to tackle it......it's a good thing we don't all subscribe to that lily-livered approach isn't it!
You have to accept that there are people who will never change............otherwise you could spend your life challenging people!

Last edited by buzz365; Feb 24th 2008 at 7:56 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:55 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

seemed a contradiction to me, escalate crime and drive property prices up.
I dunno. Lots of criminals are very rich.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.