Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

Old Feb 24th 2008, 1:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
A perfect example of a Canadian racist.
I don't think he's representitive of Canadians. Canadian policemen perhaps.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 1:18 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

The most sense spoken on this thread?
JonboyE...........karma sent to thank you for some valuable and insightful information
Old Feb 24th 2008, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

mc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud of

A perfect example of a Canadian racist.

This confuses me, if any of that is true then it is an example of the reverse racism I've been talking about. If his facts are wrong then he could just be ignorant of the truth, for me the -ot and -ist labels applied to people are far too easily thrown around these days to anyone who disagrees and it's getting a bit like being called a communist in the US back in the day whereby the people attacking don't even have to bother refuting what has been presented because the person then has to spend all of their time tryng to prove the label doesn't apply to them

(no offense HWP, I'm not having a go at you personally, it's just yours was the first of quite a few who didn't try to disprove him the way DBD did)
Old Feb 24th 2008, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canadian Citizen
It seems to me that MOST of you are ignorant about the real problems that the Aboriginals are causing. Yes I said causing problems.

You seem to think that they are victims. Not by a long shot. Many of them are using OUR money, to sue US thru OUR courts. The Natives have NO money that wasn't given to them by some level of Government. And of course we all KNOW that Governments have no money, except that which was collected by them from US, the gullible taxpayers.

I have lived in Canada all my life, and my ancestors came here over 200 years ago. I'm entitled to make a few points.

The Natives are being encouraged to "claim back their land ". Right...... and many of those land claims are in the middle of our biggest cities. What a surprise. It is NOT about land it is ABOUT THE MONEY.

Education rights. Every community college in Canada has reserved seats, set aside in every course for Natives, at NO CHARGE, but many seats go empty because the courses are "too far away " from the home towns of the natives. Reserves are considered to be "a separate entity that has it's own laws and rules " and of course they are ruled by Natives, who spend OUR money with no regard for any acountability. Band chiefs hire their own family members, with no thought to ability to do the job, and then pay them sky high salaries. One example....A Chief of a small reserve in Alberta is paid $300, 000 CDN a YEAR. His family, who are the council, voted him that amount The PM of Canada gets $200,00 CDN a year to lead the entire country.

In the far north of this country, Innuit villages are totally supported by OUR tax dollars, There is NO PAYING WORK, and every single modern thing , such as snowmobiles, big screen TVs and the kids designer clothing is bought with Canadian tax dollars, when the welfare cheques arrive on the 28 th of each month. Health care and dental services are FREE, and if you get sick , the Government flies you out to a big city for FREE treatment, and new clothes if you ask for them. Modern schools complete with gymnasiums and exercise equipment are located in places with a total population of 600 people. Teachers are sent up there, at taxpayers expense, and they have to be housed and paid at a "isolated community " premium rate, and they get to fly out , to the south 3 times each year, for a "break ". All of the social services providers are whites, and Doctors, Nurses and school administrators are all paid a premium to work up there.

In southern Ontario , the Natives of the Six Nations reserve ( population 22,000 people ) have been occupying a large chunk of land near the town of Caledonia, FOR TWO YEARS NOW. The citizens of the town have been attacked by mobs of Natives, cars burnt, homes damaged and people hurt so badly that they were in hospital for weeks. The Ontario Provincial Police have had as many as 800 officers there, at times. The Natives are claiming that the land is theirs. They have no legal right to occupy the land, but they are still there, today. As I said before it is NOT about land it is ABOUT MONEY.

Natives pay NO TAXES, if they maintain a " home address " on a reserve. They get a "Band Identification Card " that allows them to buy ANYTHING without paying taxes to any level of Government. NO PST NO GST NO income taxes. Many of them use this to make money. They will buy a new truck or car that you want to own, pay no taxes on it, then transfer it to you, for a percentage of the sale price. You save the sales tax.

People have commented on the Natives history in Canada. Make sure that you understand that they were no angels, back then. Slavery, torture of captives, cannibalism, and constant raiding of other tribes, to steal women, was the normal life of the North American Natives. No written languages and no use of metals . Today they are still not angels when it comes to the use and misuse of the land and animals. I have personally seen tremendous waste of animals, by Native hunters. For example black bear gall bladders are highly valued in China, for traditional medicine. Here in Northern Ontario, Cree hunters will shoot a black bear, JUST for it's gall balder, leaving the rest of the carcass to rot in the forest. West coast Natives have been convicted in court for killing bald eagles, for their feathers, to sell to those who make the Pow wow dancing costumes. Remember that un-like the rest of us, Natives do NOT have to obey any hunting or fishing rules, and they can kill as much and as often as they want, with no restrictions at all.

The blame for much of the poverty on Native reserves lies squarely on THEIR shoulders. The Federal Government of Canada spends, on an annual basis about ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS, on EACH man woman and child in Canada who is covered by the Indian Act. That population number is just about ONE MILLION people. That is in addition to the Provincial and Regional Governments who are also supporting them with OUR tax dollars.

So a huge sucking sound which is the bottomless pit that is support given to the Natives. And every day they are finding new ways to GET MORE MONEY.

Remember that if YOU are paying Canadian taxes, YOU are being screwed by the Natives, every day. Do some reading, and find out the facts, not the BS put out by the Natives, and their highly paid lawyers, who by the way, YOU are paying for, thru your taxes. Am I bitter, you bet.

Jim Bunting. Toronto.
I did not really want to get involved with this thread but I see no problem with what you have written. No falsehoods. Unlike many others at this forum I am much older and, while this doesn't make me necessarily any wiser, I have been in this country since 1962 and in the last 45 years have seen a lot and heard a lot.

Pity that there are those at this forum who, for whatever reason, would see a racist in you. If that be the case then I am a racist in their eyes I guess?

As far as this being 'their land' well let me remind those at this forum that this is the way of the world. If one goes back in history one sees that, over time, one group conquers others, it settles down and a few generations later the 'victors' of yesterday become the 'victims' of today.

I too have seen the squalor on native reserves. There is one ten miles from me. It is like a third world country. But not due to racism or lack of resources. There are many other complex causes. To be fair there is fault on both sides. Big problem is natives do not want integrate with the mainstream and be part of the modern world. That is their choice. But they have to live with it. Successive goverments at all levels have been trying to resolve these issues.

This will go one for many many more generations. Just check back with me in 2108. Nothing will have changed!

Last edited by montreal mike; Feb 24th 2008 at 2:00 pm. Reason: Trying to inject some sanity in the discussion!
Old Feb 24th 2008, 2:05 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mc_dub
(no offense HWP, I'm not having a go at you personally, it's just yours was the first of quite a few who didn't try to disprove him the way DBD did)

I do not throw the term 'racist' around lightly and I don't argue with racists.

There are many errors in JB's post beyond the one that dbd highlighted.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

mc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud of

I do not throw the term 'racist' around lightly and I don't argue with racists.

There are many errors in JB's post beyond the one that dbd highlighted.
I can understand not wanting to get into a one on one with such a person, I do think on somewhere such as this we need to point out the facts as a lot of people may look at that, see it as quite plausible and assume that it's true because they don't have access to all the data on Canada as they've not moved here yet or don't have a lot of contact with First Nation people/policies/problems as they've not lived here all that long. Otherwise some people are just going to bracket them with the eastern Europeans so many say they are seeking to escape from the UK (Isn't ironic? Don'tcha think?! )
Old Feb 24th 2008, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by buzz365
Thanks for the posting............but it still comes down to the fact that its their land. If the europeans hadnt decided to build empires they would be living how they wish. You mention the population being about one million, but how many was it before the europeans arrived and how much would it have been had they been left alone.
I do not think so.

Let's say the English, French and Spanish had never ever set foot in the Americas do you honestly believe this land mass, from arctic to the antarctic, would still be stuck in the 1600's and the natives would continue to blissfully continue their idyllic existence?

Even those countries in Africa and Asia, former european colonies, have changed drastically with the times.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Canadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant future

BUZZ 365:

According to anthrapology Prof at the University of Toronto, the native population in what is now Canada , pre 1500 was about three hundred thousand Natives. Remember that they had NO large cities, and they were nomadic hunters and some had subsistence farming with small plots of crops planted between the trees in the forests.

A further point to note...........Un-like the USA which had an official policy of
extermination of the Indians ( remember all those western movies from Hollywood ? ) Canada did the exact opposite. We fed them, tried to teach them how to fit in with us, and gave refuge to many who were chased over
" the medicine line " into Canada. The choice of the red coats, for the RCMP was no accident. It was a deliberate choice so even a child could tell the difference between them and the blue coats of the US Army, who killed Indians without mercy for a period of 50 years, to help vacate the plains, so the settlers could take their land.

Canada didn't do that. We helped them to survive after the Americans had KILLED all the buffalo, which was the staple food of the plains tribes, on both sides of the border. The eastern tribes, who were forest dwellers, first traded furs with the French, then with the British, after they defeated the French in 1759. I don't know where some one here got the idea that the Natives were "forbidden to hunt " that is rubbish.

I see that the PC crowd have arrived to label me a racist. Please point out ANY points that I have made that are NOT TRUE. If the Natives are such wonderfull folks, please tell me about your personal interactions with them, and how they treated YOU as a newcomer to Canada.

Jim Bunting. Toronto.

Notice that I"m not hiding behind a "screen name " here.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

BUZZ 365:

I see that the PC crowd have arrived to label me a racist. Please point out ANY points that I have made that are NOT TRUE. If the Natives are such wonderfull folks, please tell me about your personal interactions with them, and how they treated YOU as a newcomer to Canada.
I read your original post and noted it was factual. If there were any serious mistakes then people here will point them out. So far you have been met with stony silence. That in itself speaks volumes!
Old Feb 24th 2008, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Canadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant future

Montreal Mike "

Seeing as you have been in Canada for a goodly number of years, could you tell the "others " about the OKA stand off " ?

Tell them about how the entire OKA area was held hostage by a group of armed Mohawks, who were trying to hyjack a piece of land in a town in Quebec. How the situation required the Canadian Army to come in to surround the group, and how it took over 3 months to finally settle it/ disarm them ? Tell them about the closing of the highway bridges leading to the south shore and the nightly gun battles between the Mohawk Warriors Society and the drug running Natives from Kanestaki ?

Please give them some context about the contining criminal activities on the reseves near Montreal.

Human smuggling, gun smuggling, drug smuggling and tobacco smuggling, all controlled by Native crime gangs on the St Regis reserve , which straddles the St Lawrence river, with parts of it in Ontario, Quebec and New York state. A perfect place to do crime, with no Police service willing to try to do anything about it, due to the massive firepower that the Natives have at their disposal. And the lack of political will power by all the gutless politicians, both Federal and Provincial.

Jim Bunting. Toronto.

Last edited by Canadian Citizen; Feb 24th 2008 at 2:47 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by mc_dub
I can understand not wanting to get into a one on one with such a person, I do think on somewhere such as this we need to point out the facts as a lot of people may look at that, see it as quite plausible and assume that it's true because they don't have access to all the data on Canada as they've not moved here yet or don't have a lot of contact with First Nation people/policies/problems as they've not lived here all that long. Otherwise some people are just going to bracket them with the eastern Europeans so many say they are seeking to escape from the UK (Isn't ironic? Don'tcha think?! )

I can see you point but, really, his racism is entirely obvious and I would hope people would research 'the facts' and make up their own minds.

I suspect I have a more indepth knowledge about 'Aboriginal Issues' than most people. I'm not being arrogant... it's just a reality of my life and work experiences and my education.

Here are some of the books that I have read:

Intros:
'Canada's First Nations - Dickason
'Skyscrapers hide the heavens: A history of Indian-white relations in Canada' - Millar
'First Nations in the Twenty-First Century' - Friesen

More indepth:
'Imaginary Indian' - Francis
'A Way of Life that Does Not Exist' - Samson
'I Am Woman' - Maracle
'Visions of the Heart' - Long/Dickason
'Peace, Power & Righteousness' - Alfred

But if people want to create opinions for themselves from random posts on an internet forum, well...
Old Feb 24th 2008, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Montreal Mike "

Seeing as you have been in Canada for a goodly number of years, could you tell the "others " about the OKA stand off " ?

Tell them about how the entir OKA area was held hostage by a group of armed Mohawks, who were trying to hyjack a piece of lamd in a town in Quebec. How the situation required the Canadian Army to come in to surround the group, and how it took over 3 months to finally settle it ? Tell them about the closing of the bridges leading to the reserve and the nightly gun battles between the Mohawk Warriors Society and the drug running Natives from Kanestaki ?

Please give them some context about the contining criminal activities on the reseves near Montreal. Human smuggling, gun smuggling, drug smuggling and tobacco smuggling, all controlled by Native crime gangs on the St Regis reserve , which straddles the St Lawrenec river, with parts in Ontario, Quebec and New Yrok state. A perfect place to do crime, with no Police service willing to try to do anything about due to the massive firepower that the Natives have at their disposal.

Jim Bunting. Toronto.
I can not speak of the criminal element because I do not know enough about it.

But, as a long time Montreal resident since 1962 I am well equipped to speak of OKA.

We left for Orlando the day after Oka started. While down there we heard of the stand off but we were more interested in seeing Disney. Two weeks later we drove back and were amazed to find out this was still going on. It contined for long after. The city was held hostage. Canadian troops were sent out. The only other time I saw the militia about was in the October 1970 separatist crisis.

Some people here are naive. They lack the perspective. My guess is they do not even know what the proper definition of the word 'racist' is.

None are so blind as those who will not see! That is why I did not post on the thread at the onset. I simply sat back and shook my head. I still do.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Hot peas:

I read your list of books. How interesting that with only one exception, ALL the books were authored by Natives. I'd suggest they have a bias, to make it as bad as it can be. Hardly an objective reading list.

Please tell me what "errors " you found in my words here. I'm dying to hear this........

Jim Bunting.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Montreal Mike :

Thanks for contributing that memory. Can you comment on the recent (2007 ) news stories about the criminal gangs that are operating on the St Regis reserve. Surely you have seen the coverage on Montreal tv or radio about the amount of criminal activity there ?

Jim B.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 3:06 pm

If the Natives are such wonderfull folks, please tell me about your personal interactions with them

I loved my granny. I love my sister's husband. I love my three of my girlfriends. I love my friend's daughter.

I recently chit-chatted with the Lieutenant Governor of BC, brief but pleasant.

I've been inspired by a homeless guy who use to come into a place I worked all drunk and high and how he eventually found his way and is now an addiction counsellor.

Alfred Taiaiake made me think in very different ways (he also made me weak in the knees )

I like 'weatherstation Ed' - the homeless guy that sits on a bench nearby me and always says how good it is or not to be alive ... depending on the weather.

My neighbour.

... do I need to go on?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.