Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

Old Feb 22nd 2008, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

Originally Posted by MikeUK
We don’t need a BNP to trash the 2nd class citizens (natives), the main stream parties and public already agree on that point, nobody gives a shit,
The average Canadian would be happy to see the native problem disappear, and probably conveniently turns a blind eye too
Hey Mike,

This is something that I have wondered for some time.

What exactly is the native problem? I've heard all the stories of alcoholic lay abouts, that a significant proportion of the homeless in Vancouver are First Nations, and there was a story on the news recently about a First Nations dad letting his 2 baby / toddler daughters freezer to death on a reserve, but it doesn't really give me the context.

I feel like I did growing up near London in the 1980s. I always heard of the IRA and knew to be suspecious of anyone with an Irish accent because they would likely have just left a bomb in the local train station, but I never knew why.

We have one friend here whose Grandfather is First Nations - she got some amazing grants when she went to uni just for that.

I was also on a CPTED (Crime Prevention Through Enviromental Design) course recently and they mentioned that areas near Reserves are likely to be high crime but it got brushed over when I asked why.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 9:20 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I`ll be interested to read the answer too, as I have heard about the apparent fondness for alcohol in the reserves and wondered if it was just tale.

I do know that even here at the bank 'aboriginals' get special deals and loans and mortgages, and yes LTS i`ve heard also about lots of grants and suchlike for being 'native'.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by live to ski
What exactly is the native problem?
I think the problem is that there are official government policies based on race. That is racism at its best. Or worst.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

First Nations kids off the local reserve at Whistler get free ski lessons.

All these freebies sound like discrimination to me
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Mike,

This is something that I have wondered for some time.

What exactly is the native problem? I've heard all the stories of alcoholic lay abouts, that a significant proportion of the homeless in Vancouver are First Nations, and there was a story on the news recently about a First Nations dad letting his 2 baby / toddler daughters freezer to death on a reserve, but it doesn't really give me the context.

I feel like I did growing up near London in the 1980s. I always heard of the IRA and knew to be suspecious of anyone with an Irish accent because they would likely have just left a bomb in the local train station, but I never knew why.

We have one friend here whose Grandfather is First Nations - she got some amazing grants when she went to uni just for that.

I was also on a CPTED (Crime Prevention Through Enviromental Design) course recently and they mentioned that areas near Reserves are likely to be high crime but it got brushed over when I asked why.
Not sure what you mean here, but it comes over as an example of unintentional racism. Do you mean she had free education just because her GF is native and that this is wrong??

I think the First Nations see it that they shouldnt pay tax to the people who took over their land. Very few natives go to university and college and maybe this is a way of encouraging more students to go. ?
Its a complex subject for sure, hopefully there is someone out there who knows more about the subject as I would like to learn more.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 9:30 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty
Not sure what you mean here, but it comes over as an example of unintentional racism. Do you mean she had free education just because her GF is native and that this is wrong??

I think the First Nations see it that they shouldnt pay tax to the people who took over their land. Very few natives go to university and college and maybe this is a way of encouraging more students to go. ?
Its a complex subject for sure, hopefully there is someone out there who knows more about the subject as I would like to learn more.
I think that statements like that take the whole thing too far, so many people could be accused of being unintentionally anything that we'd all never say anything.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

I think the First Nations see it that they shouldnt pay tax to the people who took over their land.
Another problem. Us and Them.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I think that statements like that take the whole thing too far, so many people could be accused of being unintentionally anything that we'd all never say anything.
Ah, but it makes you think about what you are saying, and that's important.

Sometimes, quite often, in life we say things we dont realise are insulting, or demeaning, and unless its pointed out to us then we carry on with the same mistake. So I really dont see what is wrong with considering other peoples viewpoints, and learning from them.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 9:56 pm
jedi in training

buzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of light

Ah, but it makes you think about what you are saying, and that's important.

Sometimes, quite often, in life we say things we dont realise are insulting, or demeaning, and unless its pointed out to us then we carry on with the same mistake. So I really dont see what is wrong with considering other peoples viewpoints, and learning from them.
I agree totally
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:02 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

My Canadian cousins are First Nation Maliseet, feel free to ask any questions regarding racism or special privileges.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tangram
My Canadian cousins are First Nation Maliseet, feel free to ask any questions regarding racism or special privileges.
What's a First Nation Maliseet?
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:16 pm
Sawdust making harpy

Ah, but it makes you think about what you are saying,

See your point however one mans meat is another mans poison so to speak.
As an example I have 2 friends who are dyslexic, one gets quite defensive about it, the other is really out there about it.

Now - I know a joke about dyslexics, one friend hates it and the other doesn`t.

Should I go around all the time minding my p's and q's on the offchance that I may offend someone. No I don't think so, - though I don't go out of my way to upset people either though.

It is completely down to an individual how they choose to interpret a phrase, comment or even heaven forbid nursery rhyme so if you are purposefully on the lookout for "unintentional whateveritmaybe" then you'll find it"
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm not saying it is wrong - I'm just saying that I don't understand why.

3 of her grandparents aren't native, her mother is half native, her father isn't native. Her parents have a massive house in White Rock. All their kids have cars etc. etc. so I find it strange that she gets grants for going to uni.

I didn't even know she was "native" until Mr L2S mentioned this to me once. She doesn't "look" native, she doesn't "act" native (whatever that would be?) and she has never lived on a reserve rather a very nice house in White Rock.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:19 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

What's a First Nation Maliseet?
Maliseet is the tribe, First Nation or Aboriginal people... whatever.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
See your point however one mans meat is another mans poison so to speak.
As an example I have 2 friends who are dyslexic, one gets quite defensive about it, the other is really out there about it.

Now - I know a joke about dyslexics, one friend hates it and the other doesn`t.

Should I go around all the time minding my p's and q's on the offchance that I may offend someone. No I don't think so, - though I don't go out of my way to upset people either though.

It is completely down to an individual how they choose to interpret a phrase, comment or even heaven forbid nursery rhyme so if you are purposefully on the lookout for "unintentional whateveritmaybe" then you'll find it"
Agreed.

Mr L2S is dyslexic. He's not overly bothered by it, and would most probably laugh at a dyslexic joke, so long as it was genuinely fuuny.

He got lots of special treatment when we did our MSc - a new laptop, extra time in exams, could claim up to 500GBP in photocopying costs (??) when all he ever wanted was someone to proof read his essays!

Needless to say that he couldn't be provided with someone to proof read his essays so I had to.

But I didn't have to pay for any photocopying!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.