Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

Old Feb 22nd 2008, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

Originally Posted by sinope
I cant comment on Canada, but I think that racism is getting worse in the UK. The BNP is more popular than ever in some areas.
Sadly the BNP (nearly wrote PNP there!) are getting nearly as popular as the Tories in middle class "blue" Surrey where my parents live which has been the c.5th safest conversative seat for years and years.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 5:41 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by live to ski
When we did our swing round the flag pole to land at the Peace Arch in BC we were the only white caucasians. The American IO's were very relaxed with us, made a joke about physically swinging on the flag pole, and sent us off with their best wishes.

Whilst the Asian looking family next to us were being given a really hard time.

Everyone else was just sat waiting.

I looked round as we left and everyone else in there was solumn faced, looking pretty terrified.

Mr L2S made some comment to me under his breath as we left abut spot the preferential treatment to the white people with English as their first language.

But would you say that the IO's were being racist?
Similar situation when I had to go down to Kitchener to get photos for my PR card:

We walked into the room to find it busy with several families of Asian immigrants and thought okay, we'll be waiting in line a while.

Nope, the girl behind the counter asked my name then immediately ushered us into the back room where I had my photo taken, a few jokes cracked and then a cherry wave goodbye after the total time of 10 minutes.

On our way out the same families were waiting in the reception.

Racism - probably not. Unfair - probably yes.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 6:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob_999
I've only seen racism against the First Nations.
What about the French?
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 6:27 pm

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
What about the French?
By or against?
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Cyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, and what about Newfie jokes ? And 'Corner Gas' is not representative of Saskatchewan life.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 6:40 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

What about the French?
in Vancouver??
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 6:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madmac
By or against?
I meant "against" but, then again, I'm sure they look down on someone. In a multiculture we're all obliged to hate some other group.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 6:45 pm

I meant "against" but, then again, I'm sure they look down on someone. In a multiculture we're all obliged to hate some other group.
True - it's the human condition I suppose. However I like to think that I'm equally biased against all people and if you're a white/black/brown a**hole then you're still an a**hole.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 6:55 pm
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by live to ski
Sadly the BNP (nearly wrote PNP there!) are getting nearly as popular as the Tories in middle class "blue" Surrey where my parents live which has been the c.5th safest conversative seat for years and years.
What a load of rubbish, the BNP are seen as a joke in the UK and 99% know what their agenda is.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 7:27 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Don`t normally like to comment in threads like this as it will inevitably turn into a row at some stage and I am not good at putting things across like this without it sounding wrong - but for my two penneth worth

Drumheller is pretty redneck, a society dominated by white hardworking, hardplaying males. There are a couple of families from India, and one from Thailand.

The Indian families run a couple of gas stations and the Thai family run a sewing shop / Thai food outlet. In that respect the business that they have gone into are typical of the stereotypes that exists (ie the whole asian / corner shop thing).

The Hutterites take more flack than anyone but it seems to me that its not so much racism that exists here, its just anyone who tries to play the system gets a whole can of whoopass from the town by way of backlash against their either colour / belief / haircolour blah blah blah.

So because the Hutterites don`t have to have pics on their driving licenses and everyone else does it kinda singles them out for the misdemaenors (sp) of others - ie "why can they get away with driving their brothers truck and not get done for it............ am I making sense

So I think personally as a whole (wait for the backlash here) its not so much that racism exists anywhere, its just whatever is an obvious difference between one person and another will get someone singled out.

I`m as guilty as the next for calling someone a 4 eyed b*****d if they happen to pull out on me when driving and they wear glasses, or whatever, I think that people pick on the obvious difference, so if it happened to be a colour of skin then they get called that, the same with hair colour, sex, age, physical differences (fat, skinny, one leg or whatever).

Maybe i`m naive but I was born and raised in Leicester, which is about as multicultural as you can find and no one person irrespective of skin colour was better behaved then another.

As an aside I`m sure i`ve been called many-a-time "that stupid blonde bird" and I don`t really take offence because I know
a) Sometimes stupid
b) Definately blonde
c) Last time I looked, a bird

Why would I complain at that? People are stating the obvious.

Sorry to ramble
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

The only racism that I have come across is against First Nations. There seems to be more dislike of redneck bubba folk than other races.

I know one immigrant from India and he warned us that Canadians will employ a Canadian - born here, doesnt matter race, colour etc, over a recent immigrant. So thats all very inclusive.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

ladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to behold

As has been said before, the majority of the racism we've come up against has been directed at the First Nations people. Even those who do not live on the reserves (and many don't live on the reserves) but work, own their homes etc etc, are still openly dirided in this area (rural AB).

The "East" Indians are also continuously given a hard time - and are frequently chastised for "walking into Canada" without even filling in application forms. Having gone through the process I find this very hard to believe and have said this in conversation - but always fallls on deaf ears.

There is a lot of negativity towards "French" culture generally - but seems to be based on the old French v English arguments rather than racism as such. We've had a fair amount of criticism for placing our son in FI schooling.

Interestingly, there is an increasing Asian population locally which seems to be well-respected - even the rednecks don't have a bad word to say.

Ukranian, German and Welsh populations well established here too. All considered to be very hard-working (which seems to be the key to being accepted).

Fear-based homophobic comments and gender-based stereotypes abound. My 8 year old son (who is going through a "I want to wear my hair long like a skate-boarder" phase) is frequently teased in my presence by the PARENTS of his friends about his long hair. The criticism is probably directed at me for allowing him to wear it long - they are very shocked when I say it is really not a battle I think worth having and I couldn't give a crap anyway!

Also, nudity generally and sex-education appears very hush-hush. Lots of giggling middle-aged men talk in hushed tones about glimpsing a pair of tits on the TV last night. Or go into Hooters for a thrill. Lots of Benny Hill level humour. Our neighbours had a "do". One told a story of how in Mexico they'd seen one of those wizzy banana boat things zoom past with a load of topless women sitting on it. Story lasted all night (it was a looonnnnggg night) - giggles, wide-eyes, beer splutters etc - even 6 hours later. Sorry - gone off topic.

We haven't experienced direct racism towards ourselves but have been deceived and taken advantage of by retailers etc because we were new and didn't know better. We've also received massive acceptance and generosity from complete strangers so I've got no complaints.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 7:56 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

If you were to compare it to the UK, I’d say much much worse, mainly due to the treatment of First nations, even the worst black ghetto is much much nicer than an average reserve and some of this racism is intutionalized in the government (at all levels),
The thinking (redneck’ish) outside of the major cities is that Canada is white European and I think that in my mind says it all.
We don’t need a BNP to trash the 2nd class citizens (natives), the main stream parties and public already agree on that point, nobody gives a shit,
The average Canadian would be happy to see the native problem disappear, and probably conveniently turns a blind eye too
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:19 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by daft batty
There seems to be more dislike of redneck bubba folk than other races.
One of the reasons I object strenuously to being labeled that way just because I live in Alberta.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:31 pm
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Don`t normally like to comment in threads like this as it will inevitably turn into a row at some stage and I am not good at putting things across like this without it sounding wrong - but for my two penneth worth

Drumheller is pretty redneck, a society dominated by white hardworking, hardplaying males. There are a couple of families from India, and one from Thailand.

The Indian families run a couple of gas stations and the Thai family run a sewing shop / Thai food outlet. In that respect the business that they have gone into are typical of the stereotypes that exists (ie the whole asian / corner shop thing).

The Hutterites take more flack than anyone but it seems to me that its not so much racism that exists here, its just anyone who tries to play the system gets a whole can of whoopass from the town by way of backlash against their either colour / belief / haircolour blah blah blah.

So because the Hutterites don`t have to have pics on their driving licenses and everyone else does it kinda singles them out for the misdemaenors (sp) of others - ie "why can they get away with driving their brothers truck and not get done for it............ am I making sense

So I think personally as a whole (wait for the backlash here) its not so much that racism exists anywhere, its just whatever is an obvious difference between one person and another will get someone singled out.

I`m as guilty as the next for calling someone a 4 eyed b*****d if they happen to pull out on me when driving and they wear glasses, or whatever, I think that people pick on the obvious difference, so if it happened to be a colour of skin then they get called that, the same with hair colour, sex, age, physical differences (fat, skinny, one leg or whatever).

Maybe i`m naive but I was born and raised in Leicester, which is about as multicultural as you can find and no one person irrespective of skin colour was better behaved then another.

As an aside I`m sure i`ve been called many-a-time "that stupid blonde bird" and I don`t really take offence because I know
a) Sometimes stupid
b) Definately blonde
c) Last time I looked, a bird

Why would I complain at that? People are stating the obvious.

Sorry to ramble

It does not count unless you are 100% blonde, no hair dye from a bottle but a 100% natural blonde from birth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.