Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

Old Feb 22nd 2008, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really nice
Default How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

Racism certainly exists, so how do you deal with it?

Do you find it more covert than in the UK?
Is it more of the "in your face" variety?

Canada is a multicultural society, but all that means is that there are many different cultures. Sadly it does not mean that everyone co-exists peaceably.....so what are your experiences, and how do they compare with the UK?
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 3:05 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you deal with the racism in Canada?

Not been here long, but certainly havent encountered any racism. I have lived in NZ for 4 years and encountered racism there, where I, the white foreign national taking jobs and pushing up house prices was the butt of much racism Found nothing like that here, though I dont think that was your question, sorry.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 3:13 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Muesli

Canada is a multicultural society, but all that means is that there are many different cultures. Sadly it does not mean that everyone co-exists peaceably.....so what are your experiences, and how do they compare with the UK?
not sure i have encountered racism, as much as a complete ignorance/disregard of others religion, views and opinions, concerning ethnic minorities, is this the same thing?
it certainly does not seem to manifest itself into outright prejudice, though stereotyping is rife, same thing again?
i would say PC simply does not exist or it certainly is, 'pc' over here in my experience.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 3:28 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Out here in the (relative to GTA) sticks there is the occasional ignorant joke told. I dont tend to laugh along and then they sort of understand its not appropriate.

Its pretty white out here, and thats not just cos its snowing again. But its not as monochromatic as it was a few year ago and things are changing for the better I think.

I dont think its out and out predjudice or racism with intent, its just ignorance.

Last edited by iaink; Feb 22nd 2008 at 3:36 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

mc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud of

I'm actually having issues with what I term reverse-racism what with the afro-centric schools etc. that are planned. Just seems like minorities are being given more rights than others at some points to compensate for the idiots in society who try take other rights from them. I'm not sure how we can drone on about everyone being equal while treating people differently?
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

I cant comment on Canada, but I think that racism is getting worse in the UK. The BNP is more popular than ever in some areas.
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Out here in the (relative to GTA) sticks there is the occasional ignorant joke told. I dont tend to laugh along and then they sort of understand its not appropriate.

i would say that pretty much hits the nail on the head, and i work with people who should not only know better, but should be educated accordingly within the work place. the area i work in is the most racially diverse in the city, i hear very little of complaints regarding racism and the workforce itself is ethnically diverse.

now does this mean people simply do not complain, no, they complain regularly.
is the prejudice hidden? think thats a little strong
is it a genuine naivety regarding cultural sensitivity? possibly
are they simply not bothered most of the time? probably
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 3:37 pm
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by sinope
I cant comment on Canada, but I think that racism is getting worse in the UK. The BNP is more popular than ever in some areas.
i would say of my dealings with the BNP and its supporters, most of it is due to pure ignorance of the parties ideology. they are feeding on the fears of those who know no better, thinking they are doing what is best for themselves and their country, very sad.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Muesli

I haven't come across much obvious racism in Toronto. But when you get to know people and they let their guard down it amazing the racist crap they come off with and they don't even seem to realize they are being racist.

My FIL lives in Parry Sound and is not shy about expressing his opinions about other races. He's also sexist and homophobic. Oddly enough he's not welcome in our house any more, that's one way to deal with it.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 3:51 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Doesn't seem to be much obvious racism in Vancouver. Probably something to do with it being so racially diverse (51% white) and the fact that nearly everyone is from somewhere else if you go back more than a couple of generations.

It's often quite heartwarming when reading about the latest gang shooting to note that people in the same gang often come from a variety of ethnic backgrounds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Gang

Edit: the above article is appalling, but you get the gist.

Last edited by bazzz; Feb 22nd 2008 at 3:54 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

mc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bazzz
It's often quite heartwarming when reading about the latest gang shooting to note that people in the same gang often come from a variety of ethnic backgrounds.

Seriously though, does this mean that class is now becoming a bigger issue than race?
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 4:21 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure the First Nations think there is a lot of racism in Canada, and I can't say I blame them one bit.

People are people, and Canada has its fair share of ignorant and bigoted ones. That said, racism in Canada is different from Europe. At least, it is in my experience from one of the most multi-cultural regions in the world.

I think that much of the racism in Europe comes from the fear that immigrants will change the countries to something less amenable to the indigenous white population. I find there is much less of a culture of entitlement here, at least in my part of Canada. You make a good life for your family by working hard and getting on with it. If your black, brown, yellow or red neighbor is doing the same for his family, well, bloody good luck to him.

* people accept that this is a country of immigrants. There are precious few people here who have four grandparents born in Canada.
* people accept that Canada needs more immigrants - particularly in regions and professions where there are obvious labour shortages.
* Canadians are aware this is still a very new country. It is still evolving. New immigrants add to the country's cultural mosaic rather than "destroy" ancient values and traditions. There is no distinctive “Canadian” culture other than the sum of the cultures of all Canadians.
* Canadians, in general, believe in Trudeau's vision of Canada as a free, tolerant and open multi-cultural society. A society whose mores are governed by an accepted set of rights and responsibilities, not centuries old traditions.

In day to day life the open, unthinking, nasty racism that is so prevalent in Europe is just not acceptable here. Anyway, why go to all the trouble when we can all have so much fun disliking the Americans.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Cyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond repute

Living in the GTA we have all sorts - kind of reminds me of a Star Trek episode. Most live in perfect harmony and it feels great.

That said, when I'm approaching a 4 Way Stop Sign, I may profile other drivers (both behind me and those waiting to enter) to ascertain the likelihood of them stopping or rolling through. In my experience, certain races have peripheral vision issues.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
Doesn't seem to be much obvious racism in Vancouver. Probably something to do with it being so racially diverse (51% white) and the fact that nearly everyone is from somewhere else if you go back more than a couple of generations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Gang

Edit: the above article is appalling, but you get the gist.
When we did our swing round the flag pole to land at the Peace Arch in BC we were the only white caucasians. The American IO's were very relaxed with us, made a joke about physically swinging on the flag pole, and sent us off with their best wishes.

Whilst the Asian looking family next to us were being given a really hard time.

Everyone else was just sat waiting.

I looked round as we left and everyone else in there was solumn faced, looking pretty terrified.

Mr L2S made some comment to me under his breath as we left abut spot the preferential treatment to the white people with English as their first language.

But would you say that the IO's were being racist?
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 5:31 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

I've only seen racism against the First Nations. Most peoples view them as just drunken layabouts, who block the road and kick up a fuss every now and again. Houses in same school catchment area as a first nations reserve, will generally be priced lower then those in the surrounding area.

Other than that I haven't witnessed much racism. Canadians certainly seem less concerned about immigrants, which seems to be the main driving force behind uks racism problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.