Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How do people cope with heartache of being seperated from other half?

Wikiposts

How do people cope with heartache of being seperated from other half?

Old Mar 4th 2010, 9:00 am
Your goto Realtor

liquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the rough
Default How do people cope with heartache of being seperated from other half?

Hi there I am interested to know people experience of going through sponsoring their wife and being separated for so many months.

I am in canada and my wife who I am sponsering is in India. I know our file could take anything from 4 months to 8 months. I have only been seperated for less then a month and already its tough for me but even tougher for my wife.

We talk on the phone almost every day but its really tough thing to go through as we are also newly weds. Its so stressfull not knowing exactly when she will be here with me. My wife is so upset sometimes on the phone and she is finding it extreamly tough to be without me. I am also finding it tough going but more because I know its long time still to go until I will see her again.

I would love to quit my job and go to India and stay there until her file goes through but then have rent to pay and when we come back here we will be broke with no money and in tough position so not the best idea

Anyway be interested to know how other couples cope during this process.

Good luck to all those sponsoring their wives or families and hope you all get re united soon.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Kynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really nice
Default Re: How do people cope with heartache of being seperated from other half?

Well, unless you have Canadian citizenship, I believe you have to be in Canada to sponsor her.

My partner and I did the 'long distance' thing for a long time. It sucked. Really, really sucked. You just kinda slog through it a day at a time. Skype was a HUGE lifesaver for us. A lot of the time we'd just leave it on while we went about doing whatever we were doing (me homework for my uni studies, him work at his desk, watching a movie, or cleaning the room or whatever). That way we could talk when we wanted to and not talk when we didn't...felt less "forced" that way. When we didn't use Skype we used MSN, A LOT. Or email. We're both gamers, so we'd often play games together online. Many, many hours were logged playing one game or another (be it World of Warcraft, some other co-operative game, or even just playing backgammon or cards or Scrabble online).

Past that I really don't know what else to say. It's hard, it sucks and you just kinda have to get through it a day at a time. Some times were rougher than others. Holidays, "special" days, etc. There were times I missed him so much I cried myself to sleep, especially if I'd had a rough day and just needed a hug. The time difference made it hard too, because my 'evening' was when he should be sleeping. We were fortunate that he can get by on about 5 hrs a night (and then sleep 12 Friday night and be good to go for the week again).
Old Mar 4th 2010, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

youngmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud of
Default Re: How do people cope with heartache of being seperated from other half?

My girlfriend and I were separated for a year.

Skype is your new best friend.

We used to cook dinner, turn on skype and eat facing our computers so it looked like we were having dinner together at the same table. Sometimes we'd play board games with both of us having the set and moving the pieces for the other person. There is no substitute for your seeing your OH''s face.

This approach does cut both ways though. When you sign off you feel their absence even more keenly than before the call.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 7:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liquidsuite
Hi there I am interested to know people experience of going through sponsoring their wife and being separated for so many months.

I am in canada and my wife who I am sponsering is in India. I know our file could take anything from 4 months to 8 months. I have only been seperated for less then a month and already its tough for me but even tougher for my wife.

We talk on the phone almost every day but its really tough thing to go through as we are also newly weds. Its so stressfull not knowing exactly when she will be here with me. My wife is so upset sometimes on the phone and she is finding it extreamly tough to be without me. I am also finding it tough going but more because I know its long time still to go until I will see her again.

I would love to quit my job and go to India and stay there until her file goes through but then have rent to pay and when we come back here we will be broke with no money and in tough position so not the best idea

Good luck to all those sponsoring their wives or families and hope you all get re united soon.
Any reason why she isn't in Canada on a visitor visa with you until her PR comes through?

I had a long distance relationship with a Canadian boyfriend for a couple of years before I finally decided to move over to Ontario, and those two years were very tough. We used to go 6 months without seeing each other, as we'd both work and frantically save up money during that time, and then I'd go over to Canada and spend 6 months with him. This was before the days of cheap calls and Skype too!

It's not easy, but keep your eye on the end goal. And be grateful it's a relatively short time before your wife will be over with PR, I've read some real horror stories in other forums of people being separated for years because of much longer visa processing times!

Best of luck, hope it goes quickly for you.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 2:47 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

This approach does cut both ways though. When you sign off you feel their absence even more keenly than before the call.
I can relate to that with airport goodbyes.

I was in the UK, she was in Canada. I used a combination of annual leave and flexi time to make regular visits - everytime I returned to the UK I could say "back next month" even if going back to the UK on, say, the fifth and returning to Canada 8 weeks later it was still only "next month" so it didn't sound so long.

Credit card paid for some of the flights and repaying that was a simple job when the hosue was to be sold - things weren't that slow back then.

A few phone calls but mainly IM talking every night and emails for me to wake up to and respond for when she woke up.

It was harder for her as I had other distractions.

Farewells at the airport left her with a lonely ride home while I, at least, had check-ins, passport control, security and all the other flight activity to focus on and in between visits I had work each day, while she was a lone parent with only occasional freelance work at home.

After marrying I was to return to the UK, finish decorating and sell up before the next return but it became impossible for her.

I resigned earlier than planned, came over and left the house sale to my mum.

Good luck to the OP.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

smivers is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I can relate to that with airport goodbyes.
They take the mickey at Calgary airport - the queue winds back and forth, and when you're in the middle of each straight bit you can see out of the door into the corridor you came from. It took about 15 minutes from when we said goodbye to when we actually lost sight of each other last time (9 weeks ago). The airport hellos are good though - 5 1/2 days to go until she gets here for a visit

Last edited by smivers; Mar 5th 2010 at 3:08 am. Reason: wrong smiley
Old Mar 5th 2010, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice

Originally Posted by liquidsuite

Whilst not really answering your question, I would suggest that as each one of us does not know which day will be our last, it is not worth spending time apart as each day apart is one less that you enjoyed each others company. Whilst people think that there is a good reason, if any thing happened to the other person in the relationship, they will soon see that the reason wasn't really worth them being seperated.

Sorry if the above is somewhat blunt but I know people who were in the position that you were and something did happen to one of them and they now live their life with neverending "What ifs?".