Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

how do i drive permantly with a uk licence

how do i drive permantly with a uk licence

Old Jan 17th 2008, 4:10 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how do i drive permantly with a uk licence

isn't the collective knowledge available from the Expats just amazing?
Old Jan 20th 2008, 4:02 am
Just Joined

readingk is an unknown quantity at this point

We've just arrived from UK to BC (2 weeks today) and have been researching this issue extensively as keen to avoid the fear and dread of another driving test!
Firstly, it seems to depend whether you are an immigrant/permanent resident in BC or if you, like us, are on a temporary work permit. If you are able to claim, like us, your 'ordinary resident' status as UK then you are OK to drive on a UK licence for 6 months from the date of last entry to BC. It doesn't appear to matter how long you leave the country for as long as you do. The regulation this comes from is
http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/stat...1.htm#section3
Exemption of non-resident and new resident drivers
34 (1) The exemptions provided by this section apply only while a person
is driving or operating any of the following vehicles in British Columbia:
(a) a motor vehicle registered under section 3;
(b) a motor vehicle registered under section 21 during the period named in the certificate of registration issued under that section;
(c) a motor vehicle operated under a permit issued under section 6 (7) of the Commercial Transport Act;
(d) a motor vehicle operated under a reciprocal arrangement or agreement made under section 10 of the Commercial Transport Act;
(e) a commercial vehicle registered and licensed under the Commercial Transport Act;
(f) a motor vehicle or trailer in respect of which the owner is exempted under section 21 (1), but only for the period limited by that subsection.
(1.1) Subject to subsection ( 1.2), the following persons are exempt, for the period specified, from the requirements respecting the holding of a driver's licence issued to him or her under this Act:
(a) a person who has a validly issued and subsisting driver's or operator's licence or permit issued according to the laws where he or she is ordinarily resident, for 6 months from the date he or she last entered British Columbia;

(b) a person who has become ordinarily resident in British Columbia and who has a validly issued and subsisting driver's or operator's licence or permit issued according to the laws of the jurisdiction where he or she was most recently ordinarily resident, for 90 days after he or she became ordinarily resident in British Columbia;
(c) a person who has a validly issued and subsisting driver's or operator's licence or permit issued according to the laws where he or she is ordinarily resident, for the period that the person is registered as a full time student at and attends any of the educational institutions listed in section 21 (2) (b).
(i) to (viii) [Repealed 2003-7-42.]
(1.2) A person claiming an exemption under subsection ( 1.1) must carry a valid and subsisting driver's or operator's licence or permit on his or her person while operating a motor vehicle referred to in subsection (1) and must produce that driver's or operator's licence or permit to a peace officer on demand.
(2) A person exempt under subsection ( 1.1) is also exempt for the same period, while driving or operating in British Columbia a motor vehicle set out in subsection (1) (b), (c) or (d), from the requirements respecting the holding of a motor vehicle liability insurance card or a financial responsibility card, subject, in every case, to his or her giving the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia proof of financial responsibility under sections 106 to 113.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 3:30 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Incase you are worried about losing your UK licence You can always get a copy of your licence from DVLA before you leave and hand it over for a new Canadian one and keep your other UK copy.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 3:43 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by readingk
We've just arrived from UK to BC (2 weeks today) and have been researching this issue extensively as keen to avoid the fear and dread of another driving test!
Firstly, it seems to depend whether you are an immigrant/permanent resident in BC or if you, like us, are on a temporary work permit. If you are able to claim, like us, your 'ordinary resident' status as UK then you are OK to drive on a UK licence for 6 months from the date of last entry to BC.
Nope, if you're here on a work permit, you're considered resident in BC. You have 90 days on your British licence. My recommendation would be to rent a car and practice until confident, and have at least one lesson. If you're in Vancouver I can recommend a good instructor.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Inse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
Nope, if you're here on a work permit, you're considered resident in BC. You have 90 days on your British licence. My recommendation would be to rent a car and practice until confident, and have at least one lesson. If you're in Vancouver I can recommend a good instructor.
Have to agree with Bazz on this one. There is no way round it!! Take the test.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 5:51 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inse
Have to agree with Bazz on this one. There is no way round it!! Take the test.
Yep. Is there anyone in BC who has found it impossible to pass the test and had to give up driving? No? Thought not.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 5:53 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

It took me three attempts and the time I passed was borderline. However, I am a *rubbish* driver and hardly ever drove in the UK after I passed my test. Most people find it a cinch.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

jc77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone help?

im going over to ontario on wednesday 23rd Jan! Im hoping to swap my UK license for a local one?

I dont have my twp yet but i was hoping to get the ball rolling by getting my uk license swapped and all the usual bank stuff done.

Do i need to have proof of visa or can you just pay and swap straight away?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:00 am
Just Joined

Hi guys and gals!

Is there anyone out there that can help?????

Does anyone know the answer to my previous post as i jet off very soon!!

Help me britishexpats members! your my only hope!!

thanks in advance!!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 12:31 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jc77
Hi guys and gals!

Is there anyone out there that can help?????

Does anyone know the answer to my previous post as i jet off very soon!!

Help me britishexpats members! your my only hope!!

thanks in advance!!
You'll need proof of ID and a local address. Others have used a hotel address, I believe - it doesn't need to be permanent, but if you're likely not to be there by the time your plastic licence is sent (typically 3 weeks or so after you're issued with a paper one at the office) you'll obviously need to make arrangements to have it forwarded.

Don't forget to have both the card part and the paper counterfoil of your UK licence with you - the Ontario office will need to see both as one of the conditions of the exchange programme with UK DVLA.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks oakvillian!

Thats set my mind at ease!

Strangely enough Oakville is where i will hopefully will be living! My girlfriend lives on Carlton drive!

Thanks once again!

all the best from Scotland!