Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

how do i drive permantly with a uk licence

how do i drive permantly with a uk licence

Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how do i drive permantly with a uk licence

btw, don't know where the family are, but it's only 60 days in Ontario for the record...
Old Jan 14th 2008, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

dizzyliz is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
How long you've been in the country before exchanging a licence shouldn't make any difference to the licensing authorities - I don't recall that they asked me anything about how long I'd been in Canada when I went to exchange mine (in ON). The only issue, as others have pointed out, is that the individual would be advised not to drive in Canada between the end of the 90-day limit and when he manages to get to an office to exchange the licence. Not having a valid licence during this time period will invalidate any insurance that he has (legitimately) bought.
Oakvillian, I'm beginning to think you may be right. Speaking to someone else they also said that no one seemed to be intersted in the amount of time they had been in Canada before swapping their license.
I think just so long as one does'nt drive without a valid Canadian license after th 90 days .
Old Jan 14th 2008, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

mc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dizzyliz
Oakvillian, I'm beginning to think you may be right. Speaking to someone else they also said that no one seemed to be intersted in the amount of time they had been in Canada before swapping their license.
I think just so long as one does'nt drive without a valid Canadian license after th 90 days .
Was just about to say that, they didn't ask how long I'd been here either time I swapped my UK license for an Ontario one
Old Jan 15th 2008, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

LOU and Al is an unknown quantity at this point

So can you go to alberta and take the tests and you get a new clean licence???
Old Jan 15th 2008, 9:27 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LOU and Al
So can you go to alberta and take the tests and you get a new clean licence???
No you come to Alberta and exchange your old UK license for a nice new Alberta one.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Alberta_-_Driving_licence

No tests required.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 11:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

GB ones only
Old Jan 16th 2008, 5:19 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
GB ones only
GB UK same difference
Old Jan 16th 2008, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
GB UK same difference
Apparently not, I thought I saw on here just recently that Isle of Man and Isle of White licenses not exchangeable in Alberta.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 8:17 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Apparently not, I thought I saw on here just recently that Isle of Man and Isle of White licenses not exchangeable in Alberta.
Isle of Man probably, but the Isle of Wight is just another county in the UK so I would be surprised is they are excluded.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vegasrockstar
I will have to go to SGI to insure it and will pick up a Canadian licence while I'm there. I did not realise that I would have to hand over my own in return for the Cdn licence.
They didn't take my UK license, just told me not to use it for driving anymore.

Which is fortunate, because apparently my Canadian driving license isn't good enough ID for one of my bank accounts here, only the UK license will do (since it's what I gave them when I opened the account).
Old Jan 16th 2008, 8:38 pm
Going for a Soda

TiggyP is a jewel in the roughTiggyP is a jewel in the roughTiggyP is a jewel in the roughTiggyP is a jewel in the roughTiggyP is a jewel in the rough

Now here's a thing - if you have given your UK licence and swapped it for the Canadian one, how do you get your UK one back from the DVLA? Without surrendering your Canadian one?
Old Jan 16th 2008, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Isle of Man probably, but the Isle of Wight is just another county in the UK so I would be surprised is they are excluded.
I think IoM, Channel Islands and N.I. are excluded in AB. Definitely no N.I. license swap in MB, but SK say they will do it.

Originally Posted by TiggyP
Now here's a thing - if you have given your UK licence and swapped it for the Canadian one, how do you get your UK one back from the DVLA? Without surrendering your Canadian one?
Some people have applied to the DVLA for a "replacement" saying theirs is "lost". I'm amazed that works, but it seems to have for some people here. But look into whether you're allowed 2 licenses - MB does not allow it for example and you have to sign and declare each time you renew (yearly) that you hold no other license from any jurisdiction. I'm sure the DVLA have said to me they don't allow you to hold 2 licenses from countries where there's a swap agreement... but of course they'd need to catch you first
Old Jan 16th 2008, 8:49 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Think it was channel islands that caused a problem for someone
Old Jan 16th 2008, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I think IoM, Channel Islands and N.I. are excluded in AB. Definitely no N.I. license swap in MB, but SK say they will do it.
Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Think it was channel islands that caused a problem for someone
Ah it was the Channel Islands also forgot about N.I. thank you.

I was just on my way out the door and didn't have time to look.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 12:20 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Ah it was the Channel Islands also forgot about N.I. thank you.
Channel Islands (Bailiwicks of Jersey and Guernsey) and the Isle of Man are not part of the United Kingdom anyway, although they are British jurisdictions.

Northern Ireland is part of the U.K. but has its own driver and vehicle licensing system, because when these things were introduced in the 1930s, Northern Ireland was the only part of the U.K. with devolved government.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.