Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

how do i drive permantly with a uk licence

how do i drive permantly with a uk licence

Old Jan 11th 2008, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

vegasrockstar will become famous soon enoughvegasrockstar will become famous soon enough
Default Re: how do i drive permantly with a uk licence

Hi,

We are coming to Saskatchewan for 11 weeks (my wife has 4 interviews for legal firms in Regina) and were planning to buy a car while we were there. I was advised that when I buy the car I will have to go to SGI to insure it and will pick up a Canadian licence while I'm there. I did not realise that I would have to hand over my own in return for the Cdn licence.

We expect to have a few months back in the UK before we return back to Canada for my wife's job (hopefully) after selling our house. Will I be able to drive in the UK on my new Canadian licence?
Old Jan 11th 2008, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vegasrockstar
Will I be able to drive in the UK on my new Canadian licence?
We did that with temporary (90 day) Ontario ones. No photo, just a piece of yellow paper. You're allowed a year on a Canadian license in GB before you have to either swap it for an automatic-only license, or prove that you took your original test in a manual and swap it for that, or take a test in a manual to get full manual privileges.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

vegasrockstar will become famous soon enoughvegasrockstar will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
We did that with temporary (90 day) Ontario ones. No photo, just a piece of yellow paper. You're allowed a year on a Canadian license in GB before you have to either swap it for an automatic-only license, or prove that you took your original test in a manual and swap it for that, or take a test in a manual to get full manual privileges.
Thanks for that.

I will probably make sure I have copies of UK licence for if I need to re-apply. I'm sure we will not need to though (gotta be positive). Let's hope the SINP program works out for us.

Cheers for your help.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

dizzyliz is on a distinguished road

Hi, have'nt seen the answer to this one , although I'm sure it's on here somewhere.
If a permanent res. has not exchanged their UK license for a canadian one within the 90 dys required (because they have been out of the country for most of the 90 days) what would the implications be when they do go and exchange.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:54 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dizzyliz
Hi, have'nt seen the answer to this one , although I'm sure it's on here somewhere.
If a permanent res. has not exchanged their UK license for a canadian one within the 90 dys required (because they have been out of the country for most of the 90 days)
In that case were they even "resident" in the province?
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Yes this person is resident but has had to travel in and out of canada due to their property sale in the UK.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 10:01 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

They were potentially uninsured and driving without a valid licence then.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

No - they are still well within the law and have the canadian insurance they require but by the time they return to Canada might be over the 90 days required, this is why I'm asking the question.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

No - they are still well within the law and have the canadian insurance they require but by the time they return to Canada might be over the 90 days required, this is why I'm asking the question.
but are they resident in Canada, i.e. living there, or are they just permanent residents who don't live in Canada yet?
Old Jan 13th 2008, 10:43 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

If they're resident and have been so for 90 days+ (despite time spent out of the country), then their UK licences aren't valid, nor is any Canadian insurance as they don't have local licences.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

The family are resident in Canada but one person has needed to be back and forth to the UK due to house selling circumstances.In the times they have been back to Canada their time schedule has not allowed for the exchange to be made.Xmas and New Year and snow storms put it off even more, so now when they return to Canada soon it will probably take them over the 90 days.Wondering what problems this may cause when they go to exchange their licence .
Old Jan 13th 2008, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really nice

The family are resident in Canada but one person has needed to be back and forth to the UK due to house selling circumstances.In the times they have been back to Canada their time schedule has not allowed for the exchange to be made.Xmas and New Year and snow storms put it off even more, so now when they return to Canada soon it will probably take them over the 90 days.Wondering what problems this may cause when they go to exchange their licence .
I'm not sure but I think it's 90 consecutive days........I put a link into an earlier post, if that's any help

http://canadaonline.about.com/od/dri..._in_Canada.htm

found it again.................
Old Jan 13th 2008, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Mrs Muesli,
I've had a look but unfortunately there isn't anything that helps to find out what the potential problem could be if one goes over the 90 days. I think this will mean a call to the authorities.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 1:13 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Mrs Muesli,
I've had a look but unfortunately there isn't anything that helps to find out what the potential problem could be if one goes over the 90 days. I think this will mean a call to the authorities.
How long you've been in the country before exchanging a licence shouldn't make any difference to the licensing authorities - I don't recall that they asked me anything about how long I'd been in Canada when I went to exchange mine (in ON). The only issue, as others have pointed out, is that the individual would be advised not to drive in Canada between the end of the 90-day limit and when he manages to get to an office to exchange the licence. Not having a valid licence during this time period will invalidate any insurance that he has (legitimately) bought.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:17 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm not sure that that's still the case as when I looked into it for NS, it seemed to say that you could just do an exchange of licence and didn't need to take a test? Not sure about the other places though but hope that helps somebody. I did look for NB as well as that's another area we're considering but haven't yet found the answer!
In NB you just exchange your licence, no test $60 fee (two years ago).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.