Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How did you get your job before arriving in Canada?

Wikiposts

How did you get your job before arriving in Canada?

Old Apr 2nd 2005, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

ramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really nice
Default Re: How did you get your job before arriving in Canada?

Hi

My husband and I came over on a work visa. He secured a job by replying to adverts on HRDC job bank, workopolis etc,. We also included in the cover letter, details of how easy it is to actually apply for a work visa, included the timeframes etc, hoping to encourage them not to throw his resume in the garbage because it was from outwith Canada. It paid off 3 times. He was offered 3 jobs, all willing to do the paperwork and all very quickly.

Regarding you submitting a resume on a website and then receiving no correspondence or feedback. Call them!!!! I know its expensive when you have a number to follow up, but if you are serious about securing employment first, you need to be a little more aggressive. As someone else suggested earlier, also have a date when your husband will be in the area, and let them know that firstly in your cover letter and then in your follow up letter.

I do appreciate it was 5.5 years ago that we did this, and things may have changed, but we kept on it and it paid off. Our first application for a job in Canada was May 9th 1999, and we were moved here September 1999 on a work visa.

hope this is of some help.

Originally Posted by suziequ
Think we may do this, hubby has applied for a job that has been advertised for nearly 3 months on a company website, we havent heard back from the company but maybe his resume hasnt even been forwarded to the correct department.

It is soul destroying when they dont even acnowlege receipt of your resume.

Sue