Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How did you get your first job in Canada?

How did you get your first job in Canada?

Old Dec 26th 2007, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

Yasmina2005 will become famous soon enoughYasmina2005 will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: How did you get your first job in Canada?

Originally Posted by hudd View Post
Hi Yasmina

It took me 2 months to find a job. Initially I turn offers down that were too low i.e 30% of my previous UK salary. First job was 50% of my previous UK salary.

I just got on the internet and contacted companies by phone to see what vacancies or opportunities. Had meetings with different people. Spend weeks driving all over Alberta( at my own cost) to find work.

Your husband may find he looking too high to start if companies in BC will not value his UK management experience. Its not like when I returned to the UK that my Canadian management experience was of value and seen as an asset having overseas experience.

Unfortunately I found that in the late 1990's they asked for Canadian experience, so I had to gain experience in Canada to move back up the career ladder. Not sure if this is still the case out West.

Is your husband trying to network? Does he attend professional events in BC?

Once your husband get on the job ladder I believe he find it easier to progress to his level of competence.

Post on this forum what work your husband is looking for. There are enough Ex-pats who could give him decent advice.

I found you had to have thick skin and keep on going, even if you have knock backs until he finds a job.

Regards

Hudd
Thanks Hudd for your reply. In the begining, my Husband wanted to go back to academia and so he was meeting people in different educational institutions. Later on, he expanded his job seach to management positions. So, he did contact few people in different companies but no one got back to him even to acknowledge the receipt of his emails.

He attended 2 jobs fairs and one job seach club for out of work immigrants. But these clubs are mainly focused on blue collar jobs.

At the moment, his efforts are focused on finding jobs in managerial positions or/and research and development.

Thanks again for your input and Happy Holidays

Yasmina

ps: It seems that Corporate Canada has not moved an inch since the 90s. They are stuck in a time warp.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

Yasmina2005 will become famous soon enoughYasmina2005 will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: How did you get your first job in Canada?

Hi All:

I would like to thank each one of you for sharing so far your job search experiences. Any further ones will be most welcomed and i am sure helpful.

Much appreciated.

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year.

Yasmina