Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How did you get your first job in Canada?

How did you get your first job in Canada?

Old Dec 14th 2007, 2:28 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did you get your first job in Canada?

Kijiji Ad.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

budda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant future

I actually contacted a recruiter through Facebook. She then passed it to her boss who in turn got in touch. I am now working for that company.

I would highly recommend Facebook or linked-in
Old Dec 14th 2007, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by budda
I actually contacted a recruiter through Facebook. She then passed it to her boss who in turn got in touch. I am now working for that company.

I would highly recommend Facebook or linked-in
Wow, and I thought Facebook was just about Zombies and poking...
Old Dec 14th 2007, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

budda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant future

I know,
It actually infuriates me at times, but it is a great resource for networking when it comes to jobs.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

mc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud of

I got my formal re-hire offer for my current job through facebook
Old Dec 16th 2007, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

jagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of light

I got my first job through Monster.ca where the Govt. agency advertised...went down for 2 interviews and then got a Job. Well, it is a sad story I didn't stick to that monotonous job and moved on to private consulting...

In GTA, I think it is still the WWW remain a good source of Jobs.... My wife also got the job through internet postings...
Old Dec 17th 2007, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

I was pretty shocked actually; the first company I sent my resume to (at the beginning of December) called me in for an interview last week, said straight after the interview that they expected to make me an offer and offered me a job this afternoon. The only issue is that I have to get a security clearance, but I'm hoping that won't be a problem since it's not a Top Secret one that requires a full background check and vetting.

Which was good, because of all the companies I know of here that was my first choice, and I was going to see what happened with them before applying elsewhere. But that means the total length of my job hunt was roughly two and a half weeks and one interview, mostly spent doing other things .
Old Dec 18th 2007, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Ibraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to all

I got mine from craigslist, faxed resume, next day interview, offered job straightaway.
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 4:03 am
Just Joined

DJLJL is an unknown quantity at this point

Workopolis... After 8 months of search and 2 months from the first call. [I don't count some temp things doing in meantime.]
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

We'd been really job hunting for about a week, spending whole days trolling through job sites. OH had been offered a job in Ottawa, but he was feeling that Ottawa wasn't the place for us, so he turned it down (I agreed).

I was starting to go through the phone book and then going to websites of any company advertising as software/computing (I was a software tester), and if the websites didn't look like they were put together by a 3 year old I'd apply directly through the website.

I was branching the search outwards, moving out to the Kitchener/Waterloo area, and had an interview for a company in Kitchener on the Monday. I got a call on the Tuesday about an interview in Cambridge (and booked a second interview for the first place for the Friday), which I went to on the Wednesday. I loved the company the minute I walked in the door. The interview went well, and the woman who was to be my boss phoned me at 8pm that night (after her kids had gone to sleep) to offer me the job, at a higher salary than expected.

In the meantime, my OH had been hitting the jobsites hard, and had had 2 interviews for a company in Mississauga. He got offered a job on the same day I did, starting the following Wednesday.

So...we each had a job lined up, so what do you do before starting a new job? Go out and buy a new house and a second car of course!

Turns out OH's job was at a horrible company with a wretched little man who believed that his staff should work 24/7 with minimal benefits and no overtime. OH was miserable and wanted out. Some (minor) strings were pulled by me, and he managed to get a job at my company (the string pulling was me giving his resume to my boss's boss and saying "you know that role you were thinking about in 2007? How about starting with this guy about now?". He interviewed over sushi, was offered the position and has now been there for a couple of months, so technically although the position was also advertised on Monster, and they interviewed 2 internal candidates, it was achieved by networking.
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 4:56 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Went into Zellers and filled in a form - started work the next day. Left by the end of the week! Next job, I got through next door neighbour. Current job wandered into the mall, somehow ended up filling out an application

Hubby got his job through the realtor knowing someone who knows someone!
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

dentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud of

i applied for 4 months for all types of jobs , and i got no replies , so i read a thread by Judy in Calgary and i dumbed down my resume and made it look like i was not so qualified and i had 5 interviews in 1 week and i eventually ended up doing the same type of job i did in the uk. Crazy !!!

but my son applied for 10 jobs , got 8 interviews , 5 job offers and people still ringing him offering him different jobs.

he is 18 and a cnc operator , i am 45 and a director of a company ( or was ) administrator and a PA.
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 7:38 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dentaltech
so i read a thread by Judy in Calgary and i dumbed down my resume and made it look like i was not so qualified
Great advice. If the economy is hot and people and moving in and out of jobs frequently it is less important. Employers just hope they will get more than a few months out of an employee.

If things are not booming and you are overqualified, you will have difficulty persuading employers that you will take the job seriously. You can prove this by dumbing down the resume. What better way to show you are serious! Some employers are smart and far-sighted about the added value you could offer but others seem to forget the imperative to pay the bills is a great incentive to employees who are trying to start a new life.

I got my job answering an ad. The job offer I didn't accept came about from networking, just after I'd started my first job.

Last edited by acer rose; Dec 23rd 2007 at 7:40 pm. Reason: Forgetfulness
Old Dec 24th 2007, 7:42 pm
Going for a Soda

TiggyP is a jewel in the roughTiggyP is a jewel in the roughTiggyP is a jewel in the roughTiggyP is a jewel in the roughTiggyP is a jewel in the rough

I went to the best temp agency I could find in Toronto (or is that the least worst?) I put on the English charm, waved my North-Americanized resume at them and blagged my way into a good admin job at a swish downtown company.

That didn't work out and I thought my luck was up. I'd worked really hard and thought I had impressed everyone, but whatever. Stuff 'em. A few weeks later the agency sent me to another job with a top Canadian company. Got offered the job full-time and am hopefuly going to be working for them in Halifax soon! Easy peasy.

Just make sure you have a kick-ass, well presented resume and go heavy on the English accent, works a treat. Take everyone's business card that may be of use, don't be afraid to network.

Oh yeah, and never wait for HR/recruiter to get back to you! They can be very slow here. Follow up with phone calls, e-mails, just keep pestering (nicely) or nothing will get done.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

Yasmina2005 will become famous soon enoughYasmina2005 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Where are you living? I find it incredible that someone who is qualified and experienced has been out of work for 9 months. There must be more to this ...

JonBoyE:

We are in Vancouver.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.