British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   How did you get your first job in Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/how-did-you-get-your-first-job-canada-499507/)

Yasmina2005 Dec 13th 2007 1:22 am

How did you get your first job in Canada?

Hi:

Please share your experiences on how you got your job in Canada. While many have talked about it in different threads, it would be nice to have all the experiences talked about under one major thread. Your answers will help so many get advices/tips/hints.

Thank you in advance,

Yasmina

PS: i cannot start sharing my experience because I am still a student. My husband cannot share his experience either because he has been trying hard to get a job since he moved to BC 9 months ago, but in vain despite his UK and French education and despite his management experience (over 10 years) with an international company in London.

Pompeyboy Dec 13th 2007 1:34 am

Re: How did you get your first job in Canada?

Originally Posted by Yasmina2005 (Post 5662629)
Hi:

Please share your experiences on how you got your job in Canada. While many have talked about it in different threads, it would be nice to have all the experiences talked about under one major thread. Your answers will help so many get advices/tips/hints.

Thank you in advance,

Yasmina

PS: i cannot start sharing my experience because I am still a student. My husband cannot share his experience either because he has been trying hard to get a job since he moved to BC 9 months ago, but in vain despite his UK and French education and despite his management experience (over 10 years) with an international company in London.

I saw an advert in a magazine late one night October 2005 when my shift finished. Made a phone call the next day. Took a written test in Birmingham the next day. Came to Canada the following Feb 2006 for tests and interviews etc..Got the job offer June 2006..Got PNP by Xmas and emigrated July this year.

steve666 Dec 13th 2007 1:53 am

I met a chap by the name of Cristopher 2 days after I landed. He introduced me to Shirley and Claire, they were to be my 'girls'.

AmyDavid Dec 13th 2007 2:11 am

Originally Posted by steve666 (Post 5662707)
I met a chap by the name of Cristopher 2 days after I landed. He introduced me to Shirley and Claire, they were to be my 'girls'.

My OH met his now employer at an Emigrate Now show in the UK. Three months later we were here working for him - I say we - I mean OH. I just spend my time like I am on holiday..... :)

Tangram Dec 13th 2007 2:14 am

Originally Posted by steve666 (Post 5662707)

So your a pimp ?

Yasmina2005 Dec 13th 2007 2:16 am

Thanks AmyDavid, Pompeyboy and steve 666 for your replies. Your experiences were brilliant. Good for you.

steve666 Dec 13th 2007 2:18 am

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 5662768)
So your a pimp ?

No, that's dbd. The 'girls' are dogs. My job is to take them for walks twice a day. See, that taught you not to jump to conclusions.

Novocastrian Dec 13th 2007 2:29 am

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 5662768)
So your a pimp ?

<pedant mode> Do you mean "So you're a pimp?" </pedant mode>

I got my job here by being in the right (wrong) place at the wrong (right) time.

Hope that helps.

wiggs1034 Dec 13th 2007 3:05 am

OH found a nursing job with ease from within the UK. I landed in Calgary with no job arranged, applied for about 15 jobs within a week. Most were "I'll do anything manual jobs", just to get Canadian experience and a wage. None replied. Two were matched to my skills and experience and came with a reasonable / comparable wage to my UK previous position, but I didn't hold out much hope. Two weeks later both offered an interview. Two days later both offered me a job, and I chose what I considered to be the one with most potential for growth. I made the right decision, was promoted within 6 months, and am happy.

Danny B Dec 13th 2007 3:49 am

I was buying a lottery ticket online when I decided to look at the careers section, the rest is history as they say.

steve666 Dec 13th 2007 3:54 am

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 5663007)
I was buying a lottery ticket online when I decided to look at the careers section, the rest is history as they say.

You won the lottery!!!??

zmartin Dec 13th 2007 4:34 am

Arrived in Canada on 28th November, was up in Whistler where we're staying on 1st December, applied for job from local paper on 3rd, had interview on 4th, was offered the job on the 5th! Currently training!

Zoe M. x

Tangram Dec 13th 2007 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 5662820)
<pedant mode> Do you mean "So you're a pimp?" </pedant mode>

I got my job here by being in the right (wrong) place at the wrong (right) time.

Hope that helps.

Hey, it was 11.16pm when I posted that.... I can be forgiven a little grammar error.

Tangram Dec 13th 2007 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 5663007)

You work for the BC Lottery Corps ?

dbd33 Dec 13th 2007 12:00 pm

I didn't come here as a pimp but as a computer programmer. I then evolved.

The moment had come to try abroad, abroad quickly. The trade paper had adverts for jobs in various countries. Australia looked to be a long way away, if it didn't work how would we afford to come back? The US wanted weeks to arrange a visa. I hadn't previously thought of Canada but seeing the ad, I thought "Canada! Brilliant they speak French there." and so the woman who spoke French and German (but not English beyond yes, no, BacardiCoke) and I moved to Toronto.