Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How did you get your first job in Canada?

How did you get your first job in Canada?

Old Dec 13th 2007, 12:15 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did you get your first job in Canada?

Originally Posted by dbd33
I didn't come here as a pimp but as a computer programmer. I then evolved.

The moment had come to try abroad, abroad quickly. The trade paper had adverts for jobs in various countries. Australia looked to be a long way away, if it didn't work how would we afford to come back? The US wanted weeks to arrange a visa. I hadn't previously thought of Canada but seeing the ad, I thought "Canada! Brilliant they speak French there." and so the woman who spoke French and German (but not English beyond yes, no, BacardiCoke) and I moved to Toronto.
So basically you were on the run? Presumably from a woman. (Or irate husband?)
Old Dec 13th 2007, 12:17 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

For me.....

'Friend saw job advertised locally sent to me. Applied. Interviewed by phone then flown over for face to face. Offered job, PR came through a month or so later, moved over, worked for a year, got made redundant, got another job. Still here!'
Old Dec 13th 2007, 12:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
So basically you were on the run? Presumably from a woman. (Or irate husband?)
There was a woman involved somehow, yes. In my youth my actions were governed by my dick.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 12:29 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Emigrated to Canada under the "following my loins" programme.

Did almost zip for the next two years. On a trip back to the UK in late 2002 I met up for a beer with an old mate. Been working for him ever since.

I've never had a T4 and probably never will.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 12:42 pm
Slightly Canadian

Yes, I'm a 'follow my loins' immigrant as well of course. Mrs AX persauded me to move somewhere I'd never heard of other than some vague knowledge of fish or lack of it.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute

A few carefully placed speculative CV emails, telling prospective employers how much money I could make for them (I sell advertising).

I am nearly there with the move, just need to sell the house and we fly.

Thinking about it though, as we are moving to St John's area of Newfoundland, where is just a huge skills shortage (I'm told), I think it was relatively easy, as it would seem that not many folks emigrate to NL!

Chris.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 2:58 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
You work for the BC Lottery Corps ?
Yes I do.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

mc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud of

A friend was at the bakery counter at the local Dominion and noticed the help wanted ad the same day I noticed one in Music World, handed in a resume to both, did the interviews on the spot, got two phone calls within a day of each other and had two part-time jobs to tide me over. Recruiters are also a good way in for first-time jobs over here.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 3:40 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33;
I didn't come here as a pimp but as a computer programmer. I then evolved.

The moment had come to try abroad, abroad quickly. The trade paper had adverts for jobs in various countries. Australia looked to be a long way away, if it didn't work how would we afford to come back? The US wanted weeks to arrange a visa. I hadn't previously thought of Canada but seeing the ad, I thought "Canada! Brilliant they speak French there." and so the woman who spoke French and German (but not English beyond yes, no, BacardiCoke) and I moved to Toronto.
According to that recent statcan thingy, German is the fifth most common language in Canada (after English, French, "Chinese" and Italian).

Who knew?
Old Dec 13th 2007, 4:01 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yasmina2005
... husband cannot share his experience either because he has been trying hard to get a job since he moved to BC 9 months ago, but in vain despite his UK and French education and despite his management experience (over 10 years) with an international company in London.
Where are you living? I find it incredible that someone who is qualified and experienced has been out of work for 9 months. There must be more to this ...

For me, I decided to start looking for work one Monday. I saw an advert in the paper on Wednesday and faxed off my resume. First interview that Saturday, second interview next Wednesday, and started work the following Monday.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 4:05 pm
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
According to that recent statcan thingy, German is the fifth most common language in Canada (after English, French, "Chinese" and Italian).

Who knew?
Die wussten? indeed.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 5:09 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Where are you living? I find it incredible that someone who is qualified and experienced has been out of work for 9 months.
I don't, not in the least.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Yasmina2005
Hi:

Please share your experiences on how you got your job in Canada. While many have talked about it in different threads, it would be nice to have all the experiences talked about under one major thread. Your answers will help so many get advices/tips/hints.

Thank you in advance,

Yasmina

PS: i cannot start sharing my experience because I am still a student. My husband cannot share his experience either because he has been trying hard to get a job since he moved to BC 9 months ago, but in vain despite his UK and French education and despite his management experience (over 10 years) with an international company in London.
Hi Yasmina

It took me 2 months to find a job. Initially I turn offers down that were too low i.e 30% of my previous UK salary. First job was 50% of my previous UK salary.

I just got on the internet and contacted companies by phone to see what vacancies or opportunities. Had meetings with different people. Spend weeks driving all over Alberta( at my own cost) to find work.

Your husband may find he looking too high to start if companies in BC will not value his UK management experience. Its not like when I returned to the UK that my Canadian management experience was of value and seen as an asset having overseas experience.

Unfortunately I found that in the late 1990's they asked for Canadian experience, so I had to gain experience in Canada to move back up the career ladder. Not sure if this is still the case out West.

Is your husband trying to network? Does he attend professional events in BC?

Once your husband get on the job ladder I believe he find it easier to progress to his level of competence.

Post on this forum what work your husband is looking for. There are enough Ex-pats who could give him decent advice.

I found you had to have thick skin and keep on going, even if you have knock backs until he finds a job.

Regards

Hudd

Last edited by hudd; Dec 13th 2007 at 9:45 pm. Reason: tyo
Old Dec 13th 2007, 10:00 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Mr Y-C-D got his job through an online advert he saw while waiting for our PR visa (skilled worker) to be processed. Landed here on a WP and 9 months later were PRs.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 4:15 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Having applied online I joined the temping pool at a localish university. Got a three week assignment. Finally left there after 5 years! Also, during that time managed to help 6 people with their first 'foot in door' jobs

If you have secretarial skills when you come over check out the job postings for the big firms, municipalities and universities/colleges as they often give temp staff benefits after 6 months (and hey, you are getting that elusive Canadian experience

Clare

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.