Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How did you do this "BC" (Before Computers)

How did you do this "BC" (Before Computers)

Old May 18th 2011, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice
Default Re: How did you do this "BC" (Before Computers)

It wasn't really that difficult, though I'd say it was more serendipity than the result of research.

I was visiting some Canadian friends in McMasters University while I was also still at university in 1991. I spent a couple of hours in the library while I was bored and I was browsing the shelves and ran across a book which said "immigrate to Canada" so I read it and it looked pretty easy and I thought why not, it might be nice to try for a couple of years, so when I graduated and got my first job I wrote a letter (handwritten!) to the high commission in London and they sent me a package. I read it and found that once I had two years experience with my qualifications and a french o-level I'd probably meet the requirements. Being young I wanted to travel so I did the initial assessment (on paper!) and sent it to them. Six months later I got a letter saying I probably qualified and I could proceed if I was willing to pay some fee (I can't remember how much - maybe $200) so I had to go get some kind of wierd draft drawn on a Canadian bank (oh what fun that was - nobody knew what it was!) and then sent it off. I heard nothing from them for another six months and then a request for a police check and medicals came through which cost me more money. I sent those back and about four months later a visa came through the post. A couple of weeks laters I was at Pearson.

The order of events may be mixed up but it really wasn't that difficult. The main source of information was the library or the yellow pages.
Old May 18th 2011, 5:48 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't come BC but I came before BE and the cic website. THe obsessing over timelines and application statuses on the cic website is new to me, I'm glad I was kept in ignorance until the paperwork arrived in the mail. I'm glad I came before BE, I am the type of person who focuses on small things so it's good I was clueless when I arrived.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; May 18th 2011 at 5:52 pm.
Old May 18th 2011, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

1991 emigrating process to Aus , all done via paper form filling , faxes and telephone calls, bills were a nightmare but got us a rental on arrival, no small feat with three kids in tow, one a baby at the time and knowing no one on the other side
2004 Canada great all done online just a longer processing time but compared to the first process it all went much smoother
Old May 19th 2011, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

read in the paper about a farm for sale in Canada, got curious. Wrote a handwritten letter for more info, got a handwritten answer back a month later. Got some books about Canada in the library, called the Canadian Embassy and asked about agriculture (they must have thought what a moron, as I had no clue it was so big and vast), got the guy visiting in Germany...booked a flight for hubby (I was very pregnant at that time)..3 years and 3 pound of paperwork later we immigrated to take over a farm in Quebec (1987 with lil clue about french). We wondered and worried beforehand, no time for that once we arrived...just enjoyed all the new things and really ..only missed decent bread for a while
I had to promise to write a letter every 2 weeks to mother-in-law and I did keep that promise for 13 years (mind you ..one of the first buys here was a type-writer...which later was switched for a computer).
Old May 19th 2011, 2:09 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clematis
Thank goodness COMPUTERS weren't around then, we all know how people get slated around here for that.
They probably had the piss taken out of them in steerage instead
Old May 19th 2011, 2:12 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I didn't come BC but I came before BE and the cic website. THe obsessing over timelines and application statuses on the cic website is new to me, I'm glad I was kept in ignorance until the paperwork arrived in the mail. I'm glad I came before BE, I am the type of person who focuses on small things so it's good I was clueless when I arrived.
Me Too! I think BE would have scared me off trying this whole Canada thing. I has meant that we have spent unnecessary money, BUT, it has also meant that we tried it all without the doom mongers influence.
Old May 19th 2011, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

Not sure the exact route he took, but after seeing information about Canada immigration and some research and phone calls, my uncle moved over around 1970 with no job and about 4 weeks worth of money to support him and his wife.

2 weeks later he was given a job as a joiner (for which he wasn't qualified), by blagging it. He bought some tools, and a tool belt, kicked them around the garden in the mud for the week he had spare before his start date to make them look used, and then started work fitting kitchens in new houses.

After about 2 week the foreman pulled him aside and said "you've never done this job before in your life have you?"

Panicking and crapping himself he came clean and said "no".

The foreman replied "Hm, thought so, because most of your work is way much better than these idiots, but there are some basics your a bit shaky on" (or something to that effect). I think he was then moved into a job in 'the office'.

After that it was college lecturer, then into an engineering firm and eventually became a very senior manager at Fisher Rosemount (I think it was them). Came back to the UK about 20 years ago to be closer to family and succeeded here as well.

IN SHORT: He managed 'BC', and the formula is pretty much the same as it is today: Bloody hard work and determination.

Chris
Old May 19th 2011, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

There was no BE when we came over although there was internet/computers.

We mostly googled for info(pretty sparse tbh) and winged it apart from that.

It was an adventure...
Old May 19th 2011, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

No internet when I came either.

I disappeared into a cultural wasteland in the interior of BC, surrounded by plaid shirts, mullets and stubby "no-name" beers.

No footy for 10 years - I missed Giggs and Scholes early years - but I survived, got married, had kids etc.
Old May 19th 2011, 10:50 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by triumphguy
I disappeared into a cultural wasteland in the interior of BC,
Welcome back, is that where you've been hiding?
Old May 20th 2011, 12:12 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the brilliant replies and inspiring stories

My wife's Aunt left the UK many decades ago to pursue her career in nursing....in Bermuda I believe.

She soon moved to Vancouver and has now retired in a gorgeous Condo next to the Harbour at Nanaimo on Van Island.

She deserves the brilliant life she has...
Attached Thumbnails How did you do this "BC" (Before Computers)-condo.jpg