Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How to detect and avoid fraud on Craigslist

How to detect and avoid fraud on Craigslist

Old Dec 14th 2013, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

Amtobi is an unknown quantity at this point
Question How to detect and avoid fraud on Craigslist

We are currently looking for accommodation in Burnaby, BC for mid Jan when we hopefully arrive.

I have just had a reply to an inquiry that is just ringing alarm bells. The offer seems very good and in the range of what we are looking for. I can't quite put my finger on what it is exactly but between the wording and the details included in the message are ringing alarm bells.

It is really tough to weed the legitimate from the crooks when trying to arrange accommodation from 11000km away!

Any suggestions or experiences?
Old Dec 14th 2013, 5:31 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to detect and avoid fraud on Craigslist

Originally Posted by Amtobi
We are currently looking for accommodation in Burnaby, BC for mid Jan when we hopefully arrive.

I have just had a reply to an inquiry that is just ringing alarm bells. The offer seems very good and in the range of what we are looking for. I can't quite put my finger on what it is exactly but between the wording and the details included in the message are ringing alarm bells.

It is really tough to weed the legitimate from the crooks when trying to arrange accommodation from 11000km away!

From experience, anything that looks too good to be true probably is, anyone asking for a deposit through Western Union etc is scamming you. If you want to stay away from scammers use a more professional service, in Calgary theres a site called rentfaster, not saying it wont have scams but seems more legit.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 7:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Beware of adverts for Bridge for sale.

More seriously, those parts that are ringing alarm bells, try googling them. The phrases used I mean.

If it is dodgy, you may find that someone has posted concerns or real experiences as a warning to others.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

If they want you to send money and they will then send key, it's likely a scam. If they send you a link to see more info and you have to log in with your email and password to see the doc it's likely a scam. Sometimes properties advertised on realtor.ca are copied onto Craigslist by the scammers. See if it's on there, if it is call the agent and ask if it's being advertised separately on Craigslist.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 9:42 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

ooooh post the response so we can see (obvously you can leave out personal details!!!!)
Old Dec 14th 2013, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

For $800 we took a risk on a property - Sent the person $800 by bank transfer I think it was might have been western union...... You are moving continents - if you only loose $1000 or so then you are doing well.

Having said that - Maybe someone on here might live local to where you are looking for and give you more direct contacts of "real" people.....

Good luck with minimizing the risks
Old Dec 14th 2013, 11:45 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe try a realtor
http://www.bbb.org/mbc/accredited-bu...ice/burnaby-bc
Old Dec 15th 2013, 12:17 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

post the link. I live in Burnaby and am landlord - might be able to help you tell if it's legit or not.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 12:21 am

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

and post response too! We can't help if we can see what was said!
Old Dec 15th 2013, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by Aviator
A lot of those are development companies or property managers. Professionally run buildings are the safest bet but the OP will be seriously restricting his/her choices because many Bby properties are owned/leased by small landlords, in people's homes, condos they own etc and those companies won't be able to help with that market at all.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 3:06 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
A lot of those are development companies or property managers. Professionally run buildings are the safest bet but the OP will be seriously restricting his/her choices because many Bby properties are owned/leased by small landlords, in people's homes, condos they own etc and those companies won't be able to help with that market at all.
Personally, they would be better to get a motel room for a month and find a rental once here. Looking online does not tell you what it is really like and if there is a construction site or skytrain out behind the back yard.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 3:28 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Personally, they would be better to get a motel room for a month and find a rental once here. Looking online does not tell you what it is really like and if there is a construction site or skytrain out behind the back yard.
Agreed. A short-term motel or holiday rental is a good investment.

Anyone that wants you to send a deposit by some untraceable method like Western Union is a scammer. Run.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

Amtobi is an unknown quantity at this point

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Saturday, December 14, 2013
Subject: 3 Bedroom Townhouse - South Burnaby
To: (removed)

Thanks for getting back to my email. the property is still available for rent and Its due to my transfer that makes me my wife and daughter to leave the home to Chicago IL, United State. and also want to give it out for rent and looking for a responsible tenant that can take very good care of the property because we will be here for 3 years but the property is available for both long and short term lease. We are not after the money for the rent but want it to be clean at all time and the person that will rent it to take it as if it were its own.. My Computer Connected with Internet Access. The rent include with All Utilities and parking space Also the keys and document to the property are right here with us, Which we can send to you after all necessary agreement has be accepted.

Some rentals contact us but we declined them from renting our place as it show in there message that they will not be capable renting and taking care of the property.

Kindly get back to me and i can email you with the rent application so that we can proceed.

Address: (removed)

Regards

This is the e-mail I received, the things that concern me
- he made contact a day after the ad was removed from CL
- the wording feels like a scam e-mail if that makes any sense, not sure if I'm just being too harsh??
- different font sizes were used in the e-mail, like it had been cut and pasted

I will check out the links given and see if it has been posted there

We are arriving with our 2 cats so our motel options are limited but we do have 1 in mind as a back up that indicates it is pet friendly. We were looking for a furnished short term rental, had one that looked good via airbnb but the owner has stopped replying to e-mails so I assume it is no longer available. We couldn't confirm at that time as the LMO was not thorough yet.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 7:13 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

This is the e-mail I received, the things that concern me
- he made contact a day after the ad was removed from CL
- the wording feels like a scam e-mail if that makes any sense, not sure if I'm just being too harsh??
- different font sizes were used in the e-mail, like it had been cut and pasted

I will check out the links given and see if it has been posted there

We are arriving with our 2 cats so our motel options are limited but we do have 1 in mind as a back up that indicates it is pet friendly. We were looking for a furnished short term rental, had one that looked good via airbnb but the owner has stopped replying to e-mails so I assume it is no longer available. We couldn't confirm at that time as the LMO was not thorough yet.
Scam !
Old Dec 15th 2013, 7:15 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

If you are still not convinced let them know that me or Kiwi can meet them at the property some time next week to view it for you !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.