Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How Bad is Air Canada Rouge?

How Bad is Air Canada Rouge?

Old May 30th 2018, 3:19 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Bad is Air Canada Rouge?

Originally Posted by Snave
I've flown Air Canada Rouge (should be Rough) to Cuba. I don't know what the transatlantic flights are like, but the Caribbean ones are challenging. Hard seats, minimal leg room, minimal entertainment. I would look at regular Air Canada first, and Rouge is way down the list.
Admittedly I did WestJet to Cancun once and that was much the same as your description. Those flights are the equivalent of short haul vacation flights between the UK and Europe.

If you compared the experience with the European charter airlines then I'm sure the Canadian ones would probably come out on top.
Old May 30th 2018, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
British Airways, no question.
AAARRGGHHHHH!!!!! BA are permanently on our 'no fly under any circumstances' list. Having given them 'second chances' many time over many years and now given up.

Service with a snarl!
Old May 30th 2018, 3:47 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realize they'd put any long haul flights under the Rouge banner. If my experience on Rouge city-hopping to the States is anything to go by, I'd avoid them for long-haul. I have been annoyed that AC charges full-service prices for what is very definitely not a full-service experience - and it's not always obvious that's what you're booking when you just need to get from A to B for work and book a ticket online.
Old May 30th 2018, 5:49 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Have never heard of that Company, Looks like they are an Icelandic company.
am trying to decide which is worse, stopping or AC rouge

They have 2 divisions, 1 in Riga and the other in Denmark.
They have non-stop flights from Toronto to Birmingham

https://primeraair.ca/about-us/who-we-are/

Last edited by Siouxie; May 30th 2018 at 5:53 pm.
Old May 30th 2018, 5:59 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Silly question - the cheapest flights to london are often from JFK, you frequently see 250 - 300 pounds return. In addition, there are heaps of airlines flying every couple of hours to LHR LGW and less often to MAN and brum whatever code that is Are there no cheap flights to JFK from Totonto?

I frequently get muricans in their north who wont goto Toronto to fly direct to Grenada with rouge, preferring to fly down to JFK or MIA, do you hate each other that much?
Old May 30th 2018, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

We got unexpectedly Rouge-d on a flight back from Italy a few years ago. Seemed like a low-budget attempt to be Westjet.

Certainly something I'd pay extra to avoid, if at all possible.
Old May 30th 2018, 8:31 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Silly question - the cheapest flights to london are often from JFK, you frequently see 250 - 300 pounds return. In addition, there are heaps of airlines flying every couple of hours to LHR LGW and less often to MAN and brum whatever code that is Are there no cheap flights to JFK from Totonto?

I frequently get muricans in their north who wont goto Toronto to fly direct to Grenada with rouge, preferring to fly down to JFK or MIA, do you hate each other that much?
One way to do it is to just get a flight to JFK from Buffalo. Those are often quite cheap and you need to clear customs etc if you transfer through America anyway.
Old May 30th 2018, 9:20 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada

International transfers at US airports are monumentally tedious - they're simply not set up for international transit passengers the way all major European hubs are. Travelling from Pearson, at least you can pre-clear US customs in Toronto, but you've still got to claim baggage and start again from land side. I've done it a couple of times at JFK, and swore I'd not bother again.
Old May 30th 2018, 9:26 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
International transfers at US airports are monumentally tedious - they're simply not set up for international transit passengers the way all major European hubs are. Travelling from Pearson, at least you can pre-clear US customs in Toronto, but you've still got to claim baggage and start again from land side. I've done it a couple of times at JFK, and swore I'd not bother again.
They're purposefully set up that way as well which is totally irritating. Forcing someone to go through local immigration control and customs when they otherwise wouldn't even see their suitcases in that country and would only spend a couple of hours in the sealed departure lounge is frankly ridiculous.

It's only America that seems to go to that extreme as well. Some other countries that I've been to like Russia have passport control for airside departures but they waive all customs, visa rules and questioning etc as long as you will be there for less than 24 hours. In Asia it seems to work exactly as it does in Europe. In fact, Turkey doesn't even force people to undergo their airport security if transferring from the UK because they consider the British checks to have been sufficient.
Old May 31st 2018, 3:52 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

We flew on a Rouge 767 from YYZ down to Orlando in February and I was actually pleasantly surprised. Basic no frills (you have to buy food etc) but actual legroom was perfectly acceptable. It was much much better than the mainline AC we had back from YYZ to YYC on one of those brand new 737 MAX planes for sure! Westjet is also absolutely fine transatlantic-wise. Legroom again was acceptable and you have to buy food.

Kayak is another pretty good search engine - you can search +/- 3 days on dates and it pulls up a matrix which makes it easy to find the cheaper date combos.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 10:23 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Zoe,

Rouge has a pretty bad reputation for poor legroom although AC mainstream seems to be moving in a similar direction. I've only flown Rouge A319 & they fly B767's to UK. If you can spring for Rouge Plus seats you get more legroom (and better service) albeit at more cost obviously. AC from YYZ to LHR is actually pretty good if you choose one of the flights on the B787. I've flown twice on that this year, albeit in Premium Economy (which again is worth if you can afford the premium - I was travelling for work so my employer picked up the tab!). Not a problem for YYZ based travellers but us poor souls on the East Coast now have to contend with the new B737 from St John's & Halifax to London. Really narrow seats and really poor legroom. Paying the $100 premium for preferred (not premium economy) seats on these planes is definitely worthwhile.

WJ to UK would be fine as well IMHO - Again I've only flown their 737's. If travel is urgent then your choice may be limited. AC mainline is likely to offer more options in the event of any disruption.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 11:08 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Appreciate all opinions.
still finalizing dates as my boss is on vacation til Monday
Interestingly at 5 ft I don't find leg room to be the issues as much as butt room. It's narrow seats that are uncomfortable for me
Old Jul 15th 2018, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

AshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Appreciate all opinions.
still finalizing dates as my boss is on vacation til Monday
Interestingly at 5 ft I don't find leg room to be the issues as much as butt room. It's narrow seats that are uncomfortable for me
I have flown Rouge a few times when they operated to Dublin and they are fine. I can't say they are any worse than what the 'standard' companies are getting. Food portions small, breakfast was a granola bar or muffin, normal seating, but we did upgrade to the front cabin on New Years Eve we were flying home with the kids, which was nice. Got the previous generation first class seats, but at the end of it all it is only 6-7hrs you are in the tin can for. Unless you are willing to pay for Business or First class with the traditional carriers, I don't see any difference in them, and I have had the 'priveledge' of crossing the Atlantic many times in the past 10yrs with work. One year I had 60flights notched up, although some of those were connecting flights in the US... and no, we didn't get booked Business Class. When we first flew to Canada in 1987 it was £500/person, my brother flew return from Dublin to Sydney, Cape Breton for £380 return... there is a reason why prices are so cheap today... the service and comfort is long gone for peasant travellers..... :-)
Old Jul 15th 2018, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Zoe,

Rouge has a pretty bad reputation for poor legroom although AC mainstream seems to be moving in a similar direction. I've only flown Rouge A319 & they fly B767's to UK. If you can spring for Rouge Plus seats you get more legroom (and better service) albeit at more cost obviously. AC from YYZ to LHR is actually pretty good if you choose one of the flights on the B787. I've flown twice on that this year, albeit in Premium Economy (which again is worth if you can afford the premium - I was travelling for work so my employer picked up the tab!). Not a problem for YYZ based travellers but us poor souls on the East Coast now have to contend with the new B737 from St John's & Halifax to London. Really narrow seats and really poor legroom. Paying the $100 premium for preferred (not premium economy) seats on these planes is definitely worthwhile.

WJ to UK would be fine as well IMHO - Again I've only flown their 737's. If travel is urgent then your choice may be limited. AC mainline is likely to offer more options in the event of any disruption.
Went AC premium economy last year to UK from Kelowna via Calgary, cost was around $4300 for 2 of us and great seats. Just looked at going same again but not until the schools are back in Sept. Wow the same airline and same seats are now $6400!!!! Guess that's not happening, what the heck happened to AC pricing?
Old Jul 16th 2018, 12:55 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
Went AC premium economy last year to UK from Kelowna via Calgary, cost was around $4300 for 2 of us and great seats. Just looked at going same again but not until the schools are back in Sept. Wow the same airline and same seats are now $6400!!!! Guess that's not happening, what the heck happened to AC pricing?
I guess it deoedep on when you book. I have AC seats Toronto/ Heathrow for 0only $20 more than Transat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.