Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How is Alberta taking Falling Oil Prices?

How is Alberta taking Falling Oil Prices?

Old Sep 27th 2006, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light
Default How is Alberta taking Falling Oil Prices?

I wondered this massive multi $$$ project of digging up the oil in Alberta. Whether it has taken any notice of the recent falls in world oil prices. Will it or has it any effect on property prices there?
Old Sep 27th 2006, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is Alberta taking Falling Oil Prices?

Funny that, i was thinking the same thing the other day,.....however the general long-term trend of crude oil is up, given that china and india are still growing at breakneck pace, and probably will be until bio-ethanol, etc. become viable mass-market alternatives. I think what we saw is the end of the 'price bubble'. $50 a barrel seems cheap now whereas 3 years ago the thought of that price was scary.

Originally Posted by Gezza
I wondered this massive multi $$$ project of digging up the oil in Alberta. Whether it has taken any notice of the recent falls in world oil prices. Will it or has it any effect on property prices there?
Old Sep 27th 2006, 2:31 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by neill
Funny that, i was thinking the same thing the other day,.....however the general long-term trend of crude oil is up, given that china and india are still growing at breakneck pace, and probably will be until bio-ethanol, etc. become viable mass-market alternatives. I think what we saw is the end of the 'price bubble'. $50 a barrel seems cheap now whereas 3 years ago the thought of that price was scary.
If the oil price dips below $50, and stays there, there will be a loud bang as the bubble bursts. Below $50, many of the planned projects are not viable.

I, for one, would not be mortgaging myself up to the eyes in AB these days.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 2:37 pm
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Souvenir
If the oil price dips below $50, and stays there, there will be a loud bang as the bubble bursts. Below $50, many of the planned projects are not viable.

I, for one, would not be mortgaging myself up to the eyes in AB these days.
I know a lot of guys who moved to Alberta in the early 80's when the Oil Sands were active. When it went T*Ts up a few years later, they were
all left with negative equity and ended up handing keys into the banks as there were no buyers.

Thats the problem with resource based economies !
Old Sep 27th 2006, 2:42 pm
Bright light!!

Tiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but seeing as how 'easy to reach' oil only has about 30 years left it is highly unlikely that this - ahem, cough - low price will be reached again... it may be going down but doesn't seem to be alarming the economists.

If I worried about that sort of thing i'd never go anywhere.. move to a tourist town it could stop being exciting, move to a ski resort and the snow may not come... ifs, ands or buts are no way to live a life...

Logic and sense aren't always the best
Old Sep 27th 2006, 2:44 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ki76

Logic and sense aren't always the best
No, Im sure that irrational and ill researched vetures are a sure way to bring peace and prosperity to your family
Old Sep 27th 2006, 2:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Where's Ocean ?
Old Sep 27th 2006, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Buchan6
I know a lot of guys who moved to Alberta in the early 80's when the Oil Sands were active. When it went T*Ts up a few years later, they were
all left with negative equity and ended up handing keys into the banks as there were no buyers.

Thats the problem with resource based economies !
Quite.

About a week ago there was an article in the Globe & Mail in which Murray Edwards - reputed to be "da man" in oil sands - cast some doubt over the future prospects of the sector.

The short-term/eggs in one basket mentality seems insane to me, yet people still go for it.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 2:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Quite.

About a week ago there was an article in the Globe & Mail in which Murray Edwards - reputed to be "da man" in oil sands - cast some doubt over the future prospects of the sector.

The short-term/eggs in one basket mentality seems insane to me, yet people still go for it.
On this recent thread, http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396056 OceanMDX explains that the Alberta economy does not depend on resource prices.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 2:53 pm
Bright light!!

Tiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
No, Im sure that irrational and ill researched vetures are a sure way to bring peace and prosperity to your family
LOL - not entriely what I meant... our move has been researched to within an inch of it's existence, which is why I keep an eye on what the ecomonists say, but an IF the oil prices dip shouldn't stop someone attempting to live their dream... obviously peace and prosperity are extremely important but what I mean is you can't live a life on 'what if'... I've done it and I regret not having the courage to do things previously because I believed in the IF AND or BUT - doesn't mean I am now going to walk around with my eyes closed, just with my mind open and make sound judgements based on heart AND mind... as best my hubby and I can, cos neither of us are psychic but nor are we daft
Old Sep 27th 2006, 3:00 pm
Bright light!!

Originally Posted by dbd33
On this recent thread, http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396056 OceanMDX explains that the Alberta economy does not depend on resource prices.
Exactly - rounded research is essential
Old Sep 27th 2006, 3:11 pm

I had a look at that. Most illuminating, if you're into tits and willies.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 3:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

It's mostly economics. Still, I am very much into tits, yes.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 3:20 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

It's mostly economics. Still, I am very much into tits, yes.
I think they call them chickadees here, but I may be mistaken.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 3:22 pm
Bright light!!

I think I must have filtered that out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.