Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How to Access UK TV

How to Access UK TV

Old May 4th 2010, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Niloc has a spectacular aura aboutNiloc has a spectacular aura aboutNiloc has a spectacular aura about
Default Revised UKTV Playlist

There's an updated playlist available at

http://www.multiupload.com/RSBEEVDGZC

Installation and password details are the same as that provided by the OP's Post #26.

NOTES: The author added some new links and reordered the High Quality and Low Quality Channels to be next to each other in the list.
He also removed a few non-English language channels and many that were not working.
New links for a few LQ channels that were also broken.
A load of Windows Media Player links have also been included in the playlist with WMP alongside the name.
Old May 4th 2010, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

Angelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really nice
Default Re: How to Access UK TV

Originally Posted by Niloc
Many thanks to the OP for this method which works well on many stations. However, be cautious if your internet provider has bandwith caps. MThis means you could use your "monthly allowance" for just one day of watching UK TV on the internet.
Many of these plans with low caps charge as much as $2 for each additional MB of bandwidth!
Certainly something to be aware of and a valid point. I have an unlimited plan here with Cox (I get speeds often in excess of 20Mbps on their Premier Plan) but I did double check. Excellent advice for those considering streaming.
Old May 4th 2010, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

I was actually on the process of changing to a rogers package from Bell and noticed the cap on the downloads of 60gb a month in the small print just yesterday - Needless to say its getting left as my original cap free set up
Old May 4th 2010, 11:44 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nldfc
I was actually on the process of changing to a rogers package from Bell and noticed the cap on the downloads of 60gb a month in the small print just yesterday - Needless to say its getting left as my original cap free set up
I just changed from Rogers to Bell (cos its a lot cheaper) & noted the absence of a download cap. The only downside is that with Rogers I got 10Mbps or thereabouts but with Bell I'm only getting 4.5 Mbps. Too far from the exchange I guess!
Old May 4th 2010, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I just changed from Rogers to Bell (cos its a lot cheaper) & noted the absence of a download cap. The only downside is that with Rogers I got 10Mbps or thereabouts but with Bell I'm only getting 4.5 Mbps. Too far from the exchange I guess!

Did you measure yours with speedtest.net ??

I tried measuring mine with the Aliant site a while back and it counted as around 4.5 - 4.6 - According to speednet its only actually around 2.6 gb

I know I can download a movie in around 20 mins and can watch any of the streamed games / tv etc so its fast enough for me

I was looking at a Rogers package for TV , Phone with a free UK set up , and internet for the new house and they quoted me around 180 per month . The same package with Bell is only working out at 132 a month (That is without any caps but the best deal they can give me is 5c a minute UK calling )
Old May 4th 2010, 12:24 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Did you measure yours with speedtest.net ??

I tried measuring mine with the Aliant site a while back and it counted as around 4.5 - 4.6 - According to speednet its only actually around 2.6 gb

I know I can download a movie in around 20 mins and can watch any of the streamed games / tv etc so its fast enough for me

I was looking at a Rogers package for TV , Phone with a free UK set up , and internet for the new house and they quoted me around 180 per month . The same package with Bell is only working out at 132 a month (That is without any caps but the best deal they can give me is 5c a minute UK calling )
Measured it with something similar. It is definately slower than Rogers but not enough to give me an issue. We don't download/stream that much and since we get telephone (incl free provincewide calls & long distance incl. UK @ 5c per minute) plus internet for $70 vs. $70 for the previous phone package and $54 for Rogers, it's something we can live with.

I still have Rogers for crappy cable TV as I don't want a Sat Dish and we can't get the TV over the phone line. After paying over $100 for a single tuner HD PVR + SD terminal rental plus digital VIP package but not movies for a year, I renegotiated this year and got it all for $60 a month taxes in. Threatening to leave works wonders!
Old May 4th 2010, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

I may try that tactic as well - Looks like you have the same package we have on our house now - But I am paying a hell of a lot more that 130 bucks a month for it (230 plus tax I think )

Moving in 2 weeks so I have about another week to make my mind up
Old May 4th 2010, 3:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Did you get it figured out ?
Yes I did, thanks. I tried previously about four times.

I tried it again when I posted yesterday, got nowhere again and then I thought "what if I click on this?" and it worked.

I liked tellybritain's iPayer. Easy to pause when there are distractions.
Old May 4th 2010, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Angelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really nice

I have a pretty good connection (Internet about $65) per mth. Phone and cable throws the bill up to almost $200 (If I had my way we'd kill the cable and also just use my cell phone)

Here was my speedtest result just now. YMMV
Attached Thumbnails How to Access UK TV-speedtest-2.jpg  
Old May 4th 2010, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thats a cracking download speed - you must be able to download movies in a few minutes at that rate
Old May 4th 2010, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Revised UKTV Playlist

thanks

Originally Posted by Niloc
There's an updated playlist available at

http://www.multiupload.com/RSBEEVDGZC

Installation and password details are the same as that provided by the OP's Post #26.

NOTES: The author added some new links and reordered the High Quality and Low Quality Channels to be next to each other in the list.
He also removed a few non-English language channels and many that were not working.
New links for a few LQ channels that were also broken.
A load of Windows Media Player links have also been included in the playlist with WMP alongside the name.
Old May 4th 2010, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Thats a cracking download speed - you must be able to download movies in a few minutes at that rate
Yes, we are lucky here. I recently subscribed to Netflix and we have that going through our wireless PS3 and not a single buffering problem in any movie. I remember trying to download MP3's back in 2000 (in Chicago) and a single song could take me something like 8 hrs on dialup. Yikes!

Edit: Managed to find my download limit per month on the Cox website here (although I couldn't find any history of previous usage) I was wrong earlier about being on "unlimited". We do have a 250Gb upload and download combined per month. But we're not not incessant or wasteful downloaders, so we should be fine.

Last edited by Angelstation; May 4th 2010 at 11:13 pm. Reason: Brain fart
Old May 5th 2010, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

I do too much torrent downloading and watching stream to take a chance on a capped limit -

I have an unlimited package but I have a sneaking suspicion that my speeds are being 'Choked' towards the end of the month , 3 weeks into the month things always seem to get a bit slower
Old May 5th 2010, 2:14 pm
Slightly Canadian

Tried speedtest last night. My nominal 4.5mbps is really only 2.7. Probably a good job I don't download much then.
Old May 7th 2010, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

I double checked mine last night with just the wireless and am getting just below 3 , but i still managed to download 3 movies in less than an hour so I cant really say its bad

Last edited by nldfc; May 7th 2010 at 11:37 am. Reason: punctuation of a 5 yr old

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.