Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How to Access UK TV

How to Access UK TV

Old Apr 19th 2010, 3:25 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to Access UK TV

Originally Posted by SambaDeAmigo
If your mac is sharing its internet connection with the PS3, then they will share the same IP address. So if your mac is on the VPN and feeding the PS3, your PS3 will have access to iPlayer.

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...%20Electronics
I have a wireless router which the PS3 and mac connect to independently. For what you are suggesting to work I would either have to configure the vpn in the router (which isn't practical for various reasons) or use the mac as a gateway for the PS3. I suspect this latter is what you mean and I would look into it if I didn't already have iplayer on the TV.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nldfc
Not sure where you look - I normally get an e-mail when anything is added - I will pop the updated playlist link in here when I get it
do you by chance have a playlist for the USA?
Old Apr 21st 2010, 12:28 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I have a wireless router which the PS3 and mac connect to independently. For what you are suggesting to work I would either have to configure the vpn in the router (which isn't practical for various reasons) or use the mac as a gateway for the PS3. I suspect this latter is what you mean and I would look into it if I didn't already have iplayer on the TV.
You could get a separate wireless router that connects to the VPN and then you only use that wireless network when you want VPN based access.....

It's not for the faint of heart to setup mind you....
Old Apr 21st 2010, 1:10 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
You could get a separate wireless router that connects to the VPN and then you only use that wireless network when you want VPN based access.....

It's not for the faint of heart to setup mind you....
I've thought about configuring the router to use the VPN but I think I prefer the VPN to only be connected when I use it (I think the t&c's of the VPN service say something about not having 'permanent' connections).

As I say - if I had to watch iplayer on a pc monitor rather than on my TV I would definitely look into doing something about it; as it is I'm quite happy with my setup.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
do you by chance have a playlist for the USA?

Having a look now but as far as I know there isnt one , not from the same source anyway
Old Apr 21st 2010, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Chivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant future

I know the source as well and I can assure there is no chance that a USA playlist will happen. All the UK links are free to air, so no chance of any sky or cable channels, also they don't take channel requests, you get what these guys find and as I have posted earlier, they do not have to do this, they do it because they are awsome. The channels will go down at some stage so enjoy it while they are there.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Chivers is the BTV.exe and the UKtv.exe both from the same original source or are they different origins ?

I think the channels are basically the same but the uktv version has lower quality channels as well as high quality that help a bit with the slower connections
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Chivers is the BTV.exe and the UKtv.exe both from the same original source or are they different origins ?

I think the channels are basically the same but the uktv version has lower quality channels as well as high quality that help a bit with the slower connections
Same source
Old May 3rd 2010, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Angelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really niceAngelstation is just really nice

Originally Posted by Luckyone
Hi there:
a guy came on here last May ( name of Telly) asking for people to help out in testing a new program he'd been working on that gave access to all the live BBC/ITV and players etc.

He's a busy chap but has now got a web site up and running but needs a pile of people to join in and test it properly. If anyone is interested then go to his site and contact him. There is NO charge for this, he just needs folks to test it thoroughly and, like I said, I've been on for almost a year now and it's worked pretty good. His site is www.tellybritain.com
I downloaded it this morning and have had it running all day. Bloody brilliant! No settings to change, nothing. (Ive always fallen flat on my face trying to set VPN, proxy server stuff..not good at it) Been watching BBC 1, BBC2, ITV etc and the iPlayer works like a charm here in Arizona. Watched a great interview with Billy Bragg, saw the Party Political broadcasts, watched "Never Mind the Buzzcocks", Jonathan Ross show, Jools Holland etc etc......

I've emailed him a couple of times with questions about particular settings and he replies within minutes, so he's on the ball. Even the BBC HD stuff was great.

I have an excellent Internet connection here in AZ, so I'm sure that helps a lot. Get slight buffering here and there but 95% comes through without a blip at all.

My main computer is locked down tight, so it originally didn't like the computer trying to contact his server ( warning box came up and I bailed) but my other computer (also with same version of Norton but using Win 7) went through and I was up and watching literally with 30 seconds.

And I loved watching a show called "The Hairy Bakers".. some biker guys travelling through the UK and baking...) only in the UK eh? Had a lovely recipe for genuine Cornish pasty.....apparently needs turnip to give it that authentic flavour
Old May 3rd 2010, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Niloc has a spectacular aura aboutNiloc has a spectacular aura aboutNiloc has a spectacular aura about

Many thanks to the OP for this method which works well on many stations. However, be cautious if your internet provider has bandwith caps. Many of the lower priced plans eg. Bell Canada's Esential Plus, has the limit as low as 2 GB/ Month. I tested BBC1 on my system and 1 GB will be used in 2 hours on High Quality or 4 hours on low quality. This means you could use your "monthly allowance" for just one day of watching UK TV on the internet.
Many of these plans with low caps charge as much as $2 for each additional MB of bandwidth!

Download VLC Player from here ---> http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

download the uk playlist from here ----->

http://www.multiupload.com/CFLNB9UGF5

password to unzip the playlist is myp2p

Now open your VLC player
Go to View and view playlist
Another box will open - just drag the playlist you downloaded into it and pick what channel you want to watch and it will start playing in the vlc player.

I find if I'm in a hotel with a not so good internet connection i use the low quality channels but at home with a good connection high quality is fine

Channels include BBC 1 -2-3 cbbc and E4 Channel 4 -5 ITV 1-2 &3 amongst others
Old May 3rd 2010, 2:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

tellybritain
Originally Posted by Angelstation
I downloaded it this morning and have had it running all day. Bloody brilliant! No settings to change, nothing. (Ive always fallen flat on my face trying to set VPN, proxy server stuff..not good at it)
I have been watching Doctor Who on the iPlayer. Watching live I found BBC was buffering every 30 seconds.

This weekend I was unable to connect. It kept telling me I wasn't connected to the internet.

The website has changed, though, and I'm guessing my free trial has come to an end. £10 is not bad but if live TV is constantly buffering there's no point. I think FilmOn is cheaper (they finally got around to charging but the free year was good)...the live stuff was always great on that but there's no iPlayer.
Old May 3rd 2010, 7:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Niloc
Now open your VLC player
Go to View and view playlist
Another box will open - just drag the playlist you downloaded into it and pick what channel you want to watch and it will start playing in the vlc player.
And that's where I get lost.

Pick a channel from where?

Ah...I think I might have it now.

Last edited by BristolUK; May 3rd 2010 at 8:01 pm.
Old May 4th 2010, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Chivers52
I know the source as well and I can assure there is no chance that a USA playlist will happen. All the UK links are free to air, so no chance of any sky or cable channels, also they don't take channel requests, you get what these guys find and as I have posted earlier, they do not have to do this, they do it because they are awsome. The channels will go down at some stage so enjoy it while they are there.
Chivers there is a usa playlist now but there is only 4 channels - I can only get 1 out of the 4 working so I wont stick it in here until its figured out

the channels it has are TNT , ABC Austin , CNBC , Fox 7 - I just watched a bit of dancing with the stars on abc and it was fine
Old May 4th 2010, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
And that's where I get lost.

Pick a channel from where?

Ah...I think I might have it now.
Did you get it figured out ?
Old May 4th 2010, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Chivers there is a usa playlist now but there is only 4 channels - I can only get 1 out of the 4 working so I wont stick it in here until its figured out

the channels it has are TNT , ABC Austin , CNBC , Fox 7 - I just watched a bit of dancing with the stars on abc and it was fine
double checked with romantically challenged - it runs about 15 seconds behind the actual tv which isnt bad at all for streaming

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.