Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Housing options

Housing options

Old Mar 5th 2014, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housing options

The other thing to consider is that houses can sell really slowly in NS so if you decide you do want to move & all your money is tied up in the house you may end up stuck for a while
Old Mar 5th 2014, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jericho79
High cost of living, high taxes, comparatively very little to do (limited choice of restaurants, places to go etc). The malls, if you/your wife likes to buy clothes, are shocking. It's very isolated- it's a good 7-8 hour drive to the US border. The nearest big city is Montreal (10+ hours away). In many ways, it's stuck in a timewarp- example, Ikea opened there around 10 years ago and had to close it's doors due to poor business (some might say a lack of Ikea is a positive , but i think it demonstrates the reaction to "new" things)
It's a lot different to the UK where we've been spoilt for choice, that's for sure, but is that really a bad thing? After all there's a reason we all wanted to leave in the first place.

Personally I couldn't stand to live in Fall River, just seems like a load of boring box stores & full of British people, & I can imagine there isn't much to do unless you go into Halifax.

I'm sure if people ventured a bit further & got a real taste of NS they would like it more. In my town there's always lots of events going on, there's hiking trails, quaint little shops/galleries & about 20 restaurants/cafes (which for a town of only 480, that's not bad). My only issue is the nearest cinemas are an hour away but the theatre does play a new release every week, so it could be worse.

Yeah it may take a while to drive to the US but if you do you are on the East coast which has got to be better than driving south from Manitoba & ending up in North Dakota. Plus New York is only a 2 hour plane journey.

I think for people who want the same life they've had in the UK, Nova Scotia is not for you. For those that want a laid back lifestyle, who are a bit outdoorsy, like to be part of a community, & aren't too bothered by having 'stuff' then it's perfect (of course depending on your work/financial situation)
Old Mar 5th 2014, 3:52 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confused_uk
It's a lot different to the UK where we've been spoilt for choice, that's for sure, but is that really a bad thing? After all there's a reason we all wanted to leave in the first place.

Personally I couldn't stand to live in Fall River, just seems like a load of boring box stores & full of British people, & I can imagine there isn't much to do unless you go into Halifax.

I'm sure if people ventured a bit further & got a real taste of NS they would like it more. In my town there's always lots of events going on, there's hiking trails, quaint little shops/galleries & about 20 restaurants/cafes (which for a town of only 480, that's not bad). My only issue is the nearest cinemas are an hour away but the theatre does play a new release every week, so it could be worse.

Yeah it may take a while to drive to the US but if you do you are on the East coast which has got to be better than driving south from Manitoba & ending up in North Dakota. Plus New York is only a 2 hour plane journey.

I think for people who want the same life they've had in the UK, Nova Scotia is not for you. For those that want a laid back lifestyle, who are a bit outdoorsy, like to be part of a community, & aren't too bothered by having 'stuff' then it's perfect (of course depending on your work/financial situation)
I think this is very well put. Different people want different things from life. One size doesn't fit all. To some degree being on an Island myself, it could be argued we're a bit "isolated" from the rest of Canada, but for me - at the moment anyway - that's fine.

Horses for courses!
Old Mar 5th 2014, 4:05 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
i never declared my income on my rental back in the UK as it stayed in my UK bank account..i never paid tax in the UK on it either as i was classed as a foriegn landlord.
Cheating is great. Until you get caught.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Ultimately, city or rural is dependant on what you are looking for.
Just remember that small town NS (Canada probably) can be cleeky... In NS certainly for the next 100 years you will be a "come from aways"...
Old Mar 5th 2014, 7:00 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jericho79
High cost of living, high taxes, comparatively very little to do (limited choice of restaurants, places to go etc). The malls, if you/your wife likes to buy clothes, are shocking. It's very isolated- it's a good 7-8 hour drive to the US border. The nearest big city is Montreal (10+ hours away). In many ways, it's stuck in a timewarp- example, Ikea opened there around 10 years ago and had to close it's doors due to poor business (some might say a lack of Ikea is a positive , but i think it demonstrates the reaction to "new" things).
Totally agree with this - since moving away from NS we can see that living there was like we were living in 1970.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 8:02 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Totally agree with this - since moving away from NS we can see that living there was like we were living in 1970.
and even more so in Porters lake..
Old Mar 5th 2014, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Ultimately, city or rural is dependant on what you are looking for.
Just remember that small town NS (Canada probably) can be cleeky... In NS certainly for the next 100 years you will be a "come from aways"...
People can be cliquey anywhere though even the UK, whether it's at the school gates or in a new job, some people just decide your face doesn't fit & that's it
Old Mar 5th 2014, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

burgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really niceburgesshead is just really nice

Originally Posted by confused_uk
People can be cliquey anywhere though even the UK, whether it's at the school gates or in a new job, some people just decide your face doesn't fit & that's it
I wouldn't say we're exactly 'party people' anymore (although I'll dance off against any young whipper snappers!!). The Bayers Lake Mall seems to be fairly good, but we have a seven year old and the education system needs to be a consideration (got talking to a lady in Dartmouth last year and she said it wasn't as good as other provinces)...guess thats a topic for a different thread though
Old Mar 5th 2014, 10:00 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
and even more so in Porters lake..
I don't think PL is any worse than other places in NS actually. It has a nice community feel but it is still in NS so nuff said.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by burgesshead
I wouldn't say we're exactly 'party people' anymore (although I'll dance off against any young whipper snappers!!). The Bayers Lake Mall seems to be fairly good, but we have a seven year old and the education system needs to be a consideration (got talking to a lady in Dartmouth last year and she said it wasn't as good as other provinces)...guess thats a topic for a different thread though
As a Mum of 8 and 10 year old who attended school in NS- I would agree 100 percent. The NS school system is in bad shape. The difference between schooling in NS and ON where we are now is like night and day.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

Originally Posted by DandNHill
NS is a nice relaxed place.. If you live near Halifax it's ok but you would have a serious culture shock if living a long way from Halifax.
We've just moved closer to Halifax and we are already finding it a much better fit.
If you have a decent job in NS then you can have a very decent life but if you're struggling it's not so much fun and you can't eat the scenery...
I would definitely recommend renting to start with...
So, does that mean that the opportunities and best lifestyle is in and around Halifax? From what I can see, the people that are struggling and disillusioned with NS all seem to have went to the smaller, rural towns.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the undutchables
So, does that mean that the opportunities and best lifestyle is in and around Halifax? From what I can see, the people that are struggling and disillusioned with NS all seem to have went to the smaller, rural towns.
Nope. I, and the other families I mentioned, and others who have contributed to this thread, all live(d) in HRM.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 12:24 am

Nope - We were HRM.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

It's a different lifestyle to the faster paced provinces like Alberta and Ontario...change is much slower.
In many ways we were very happy and settled in our small Nova Scotian town. Unfortunately when the work ended so did our time there as there wasn't another opportunity for OH to apply for...
Hoping we'll find what we're looking for in HRM or it's back to the drawing board and dragging the kids away from their new friends again...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.