Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Housing Communities in Calgary

Housing Communities in Calgary

Old Jul 16th 2008, 9:33 pm
RN1
BE Enthusiast

RN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to all
Default Re: Housing Communities in Calgary

Originally Posted by calgarylady
Hi Judy, what I consider exculsive is if the neighbourhood is residential + on the quite side. We are moving at the end of the yr but OH will be working abroad until he gets a job in Calgary. We have 2 kids and am not working so am not drawn to looking for a house near down town
Don't know if this is helpful but this is the site I signed up to - you can choose specific areas & sign up to email alerts in the area(s) you want:

http://www.homerent.ca/

Obvioulsy you need to decide where those areas are - I was told before that the NW was good so I have to admit I only entered that area as an option. OUr friends live in that quadrant, so it made sense to us.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

calgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant future

Thanks for all your replies. If we buy the house in Kinkora? How far is Foothills hospital (am Having a baby soon).
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:12 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your replies. If we buy the house in Kinkora? How far is Foothills hospital (am Having a baby soon).
17.4 kms or about 25 minutes in none rush hour traffic.

Google Maps driving directions Kincora to FMC.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited by Steve_P; Jul 16th 2008 at 10:14 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:46 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I have to wonder what on Earth makes you choose Kincora??

It's a brand new community, ie construction construction dust construction .... with no amenities whatsoever, as far as I can tell. The nearest school, even an elementary would be Cambrian Heights, which is south of Nose Hill, quite some distance away.

To be stuck there with kids, and husband away, would be a nightmare.

Edgemont would be a really nice area, or parts of Arbour Lake or even Tuscany would all be much more family friendly, and as "up-market" as you are prepared to pay for!

You really need to come and have a look at the place ......
Old Jul 16th 2008, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Morwenna
The nearest school, even an elementary would be Cambrian Heights, which is south of Nose Hill, quite some distance away.
Although there are elementary schools closer to Kincora than Cambrian Heights, i.e. Hidden Valley, The Hamptons, Simons Valley.

Cambrian Heights happens to be the designated bus receiver school for elementary aged children from Kincora.

Perhaps a good web page to bookmark might this one that links to PDF documents that show the designated schools for all the residential areas of Calgary.

http://www.cbe.ab.ca/schools/community.asp

Last edited by Steve_P; Jul 16th 2008 at 11:29 pm. Reason: Added link to CBE web site.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 8:22 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
I have to wonder what on Earth makes you choose Kincora??

It's a brand new community, ie construction construction dust construction .... with no amenities whatsoever, as far as I can tell. The nearest school, even an elementary would be Cambrian Heights, which is south of
Nose Hill, quite some distance away. [/U]
To be stuck there with kids, and husband away, would be a nightmare.
Edgemont would be a really nice area, or parts of Arbour Lake or even Tuscany would all be much more family friendly, and as "up-market" as you are prepared to pay for!

You really need to come and have a look at the place ......
Thanks Mo
As if the housing market isnt quiet enough already.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

calgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant future

OH wanted a new house and as far as I know most neighbourhoods are closed out. How far is Edgemont to foothills?
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:34 pm
RN1
BE Enthusiast

RN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to all

OH wanted a new house and as far as I know most neighbourhoods are closed out. How far is Edgemont to foothills?
Go on Google Earth & mark things out with pins & measure the distances - it's good fun!

As the crow flies it's about 3.5 miles from the house in Edgemont I'm after. The drive seems straightforward enough but only someone who actually lives & drives there would be able to tell you how long it might take! Hoping that traffic is not quite as bad as London, where the same drive could take 30 mins or more if it's a really bad road!
Old Jul 17th 2008, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Crash7 is an unknown quantity at this point

I appreciate that they are a little further away from the downtown core but what kind of areas are Cresenct Heights & Sun Alta?

Thanks
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by RN1
Go on Google Earth & mark things out with pins & measure the distances - it's good fun!

As the crow flies it's about 3.5 miles from the house in Edgemont I'm after. The drive seems straightforward enough but only someone who actually lives & drives there would be able to tell you how long it might take! Hoping that traffic is not quite as bad as London, where the same drive could take 30 mins or more if it's a really bad road!
If you use Google Maps instead of Earth.

http://maps.google.ca/

You can zoom in on Calgary until you are at the neighbourhood level then right click on a spot choose "Directions from here" then move to a destination and again right click and choose "Directions to here" it will then calculate the best route and give you the distance between the two points by road and the time to drive that distance in none rush hour traffic.

For example the route and time from close to Edgemont Elementary School to Foothills Hospital.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&hl=en...5,0.21904&z=13

Cheers
Steve
Old Jul 18th 2008, 1:06 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Thanks Mo
As if the housing market isnt quiet enough already.
'Sup with you???

I was just wondering what would make them choose a brand new area, given their circumstances ..... I never told them not to buy anywhere, so I don't really feel my sentiments can have that big effect on the housing market in general. Eh?

Maybe I should have said go buy a house in Tuscany! .... nice family area, brand new houses still being built if that's what they're after ....
Old Jul 18th 2008, 8:53 am
RN1
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steve_P
If you use Google Maps instead of Earth.

http://maps.google.ca/

You can zoom in on Calgary until you are at the neighbourhood level then right click on a spot choose "Directions from here" then move to a destination and again right click and choose "Directions to here" it will then calculate the best route and give you the distance between the two points by road and the time to drive that distance in none rush hour traffic.

For example the route and time from close to Edgemont Elementary School to Foothills Hospital.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&hl=en...5,0.21904&z=13

Cheers
Steve
Hey, thanks for that - a new toy to play with!! As a nurse I'm guessing I won't be travelling in rush hour!

Still it is good fun sticking pins in Google Earth too! :-D
Old Jul 18th 2008, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Anyway, we have picked one still under construction in Kinkora and will be ready in 3 months. I learnt from point A to B in Calgary ( anywhere) is btw 30 mints drive . My eldest will be 5 in Oct and there is a Kindergarten in Kinkora so lets see atleast for the first one yr.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 1:14 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

I learnt from point A to B in Calgary ( anywhere) is btw 30 mints drive .

x
Old Jul 18th 2008, 1:21 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, we have picked one still under construction in Kinkora and will be ready in 3 months. I learnt from point A to B in Calgary ( anywhere) is btw 30 mints drive . My eldest will be 5 in Oct and there is a Kindergarten in Kinkora so lets see atleast for the first one yr.
Wow. Have you bought it or are you renting it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.