Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Housing 'bubble' in Vancouver

Housing 'bubble' in Vancouver

Old Apr 30th 2015, 5:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housing 'bubble' in Vancouver

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Dropped my last passenger tonight at Steveston and it took me 40 mins to get back to under the Oak St Bridge. Picked up my car and spent 40 mins getting from McGill to the other side of the 2nd Narrows. Just wait til all these lovely condos open up and they all arrive with their two cars. Cant wait.
Thats the problem with all the condo building, they keep building and shoving people into them, but they seem to ignore the transportation side of things and just adds to congestion.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

Dropped my last passenger tonight at Steveston and it took me 40 mins to get back to under the Oak St Bridge. Picked up my car and spent 40 mins getting from McGill to the other side of the 2nd Narrows. Just wait til all these lovely condos open up and they all arrive with their two cars. Cant wait.
not too bad for me, i work in coquitlam.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

humanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to all

Good friends of ours just sold their house in Toronto for 550k, upped and moved to Vancouver (moving costs/hassle were enormous) and have just bought a downtown Vancouver house for somewhere in the region of 850k. No idea how they can afford it other than getting a mega 30 year mortgage.

We do wonder why they would go through all that just to live there, especially as they have family in TO. There must be something special about the place.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 3:04 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

it's the best climate in canada and the city with the nicest views, that's what's special about the place. oh, and that you can ski, snowboard, sail, etc all within minutes of DT.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 3:05 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

i don't know why anyone wants to live on the north shore. the traffic is just going to get worse.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 4:44 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
i don't know why anyone wants to live on the north shore. the traffic is just going to get worse.
Assuming you have to cross the water (by road).
Old Apr 30th 2015, 6:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
Better access to the outdoors is what people have told me. There seems to be some point to it, as they are closer to nicer outdoor stuff then Vancouver is.

Traffic is bad in the whole region, doesn't really matter where you live any more. You can't escape the traffic...
Old Apr 30th 2015, 6:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by humanist
Good friends of ours just sold their house in Toronto for 550k, upped and moved to Vancouver (moving costs/hassle were enormous) and have just bought a downtown Vancouver house for somewhere in the region of 850k. No idea how they can afford it other than getting a mega 30 year mortgage.

We do wonder why they would go through all that just to live there, especially as they have family in TO. There must be something special about the place.
If you like outdoor stuff its a good region, if your not into the outdoors and lifestyle, its just any other city.
Old May 1st 2015, 12:43 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Better access to the outdoors is what people have told me. There seems to be some point to it, as they are closer to nicer outdoor stuff then Vancouver is.

Traffic is bad in the whole region, doesn't really matter where you live any more. You can't escape the traffic...
I must go round in a bubble. The only bad traffic I see is on highway 1 morn and eve...
Old May 1st 2015, 2:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
I must go round in a bubble. The only bad traffic I see is on highway 1 morn and eve...
We may have different definitions of traffic, but I find the entire lower mainland Surrey onwards to be horribly congested and frustrating to drive in. Takes way more time then it should, and unless early in the morning or late in the day, its generally bad in my view.

E Hastings is especially bad which was my main route when I lived there, took forever on the bus.

Hwy is only bad when the suburban rush goes to work and leaves for work, the rest of the day, you can pretty much go the speed limit and not get stuck in much traffic except on the bridge to/from the north shore, but the way they built it and have the lanes is poor which creates congestion where none should be if properly designed.

Vancouver is ranked at the top of congestion for a reason, anyone who says there isn't, well I don't know what they see.

Depending on who did the research and report Vancouver consistently ranks in the top 3 spots for worst traffic in North America.

Most recent one I saw placed Vancouver at # 2 behind Los Angeles.

If its so grand as people say, how does Vancouver consistently rank one of the worst for traffic?

Traffic costs the economy money in both lost time and wasted gas sitting in idle. Idling and stop and go uses more gas and causes more pollution then cars moving consistently without having to constantly sit, stop and go.

Metro Vancouver really needs to build the transit infrastructure needed to adequately handle the volume which they currently can't.

On some of the busy routes, its not uncommon to have to wait for 4+ buses before one has room. I used to take the 135 on a regular basis, and during rush hour, it was always full by the time it got to my stop, more then once I had to wait for 4 or 5 buses before one took passengers.

Got to bad, I walked to the sky train instead, and its not exactly a short walk from the PNE area to the closest sky train. But it was more reliable.

The politicians need to stop playing games, and pay for the transit infrastructure, stop worrying about being re-elected, people are gonna be pissed, but just raise taxes to pay for it. Its not that hard.

It just irritates me how bad some parts of the transit system is and the lack of increase in capacity to handle the volume of people using it. I had a lot of time sitting on a bus for 45 mins to an hour for a drive that should be 20-25 mins at most.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; May 1st 2015 at 2:50 am.
Old May 1st 2015, 4:12 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
All it takes is one smash and living in the city with the worst drivers on the planet its never far off. I saw a person almost hit a parked car yesterday doing about 20kms. They missed the back, swerved into the next lane, narrowly missing another car and swerved back almost taking off the front of the still parked car, staggering. It really did made me LOL.
Old May 3rd 2015, 8:13 pm
Account Closed

Vancouver Real Estate: Shaughnessy House Sells For $2 Million Above Asking

And I thought the mini house that sold last week for a million something was bad.
Old May 3rd 2015, 10:59 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Vancouver Real Estate: Shaughnessy House Sells For $2 Million Above Asking

And I thought the mini house that sold last week for a million something was bad.
That must be a tear down as the house bears no relation to the price.
Old May 3rd 2015, 11:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Shard
That must be a tear down as the house bears no relation to the price.
It's Vancouver where a crack shack can sell for 700,000+

This one made the news this week as well. 12 feet wide, 940sq feet 1.35 million.

Predictions are by 2030 average home price in Vancouver will be 2 million.

Not sure how people are buying these houses.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/locat...-35m-1.2349807
Old May 4th 2015, 2:11 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

All it takes is one smash and living in the city with the worst drivers on the planet its never far off. I saw a person almost hit a parked car yesterday doing about 20kms. They missed the back, swerved into the next lane, narrowly missing another car and swerved back almost taking off the front of the still parked car, staggering. It really did made me LOL.
I saw a Honda Civic on its roof late yesterday afternoon on East 41st, not sure how it got to that position other than stupidity and speed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.