Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

House viewing - tell the truth?

Wikiposts

House viewing - tell the truth?

Old Jun 2nd 2008, 8:35 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House viewing - tell the truth?

It's a total waste of time - especially on new houses like this, as they're always going to come out with a reasonable rating.

The searches part saves a bit of time, but would have been done by solicitors in the end anyway....

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by G77
Agent can't do the showing, as it's at 7pm :curse:
Why on earth not?

Is he not allowed out after six?

He's a real estate agent for goodness sakes. He should be able to do the viewing anytime.
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
These are first time buyers - so furniture could be a bonus to them if it's included.

That's rubbish!

If the house was unoccupied and a potential buyer wanted to view and was only available to see it in the evening the would do 7pm. They are just getting off lightly because they are so used to people being willing to show their own houses.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

happylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by G77
Estate agent did it for £230 inc VAT, which was reasonable..... however, with hindsight, think I should have waited till we had an offer - don't think you need to do it upfront, just before completion. If we end up renting it out now instead, that £230 will be wasted. On the brightside, if we do get an offer, it will let us complete quickly and we can move ASAP (have a job waiting for me!)
Cheers G77 and other replies.

Our lawyer said they'll compile HIPS 'free' if we use them for conveyancing, hmm, just a small fortune then....

Some agents offer this 'free' HIPS deal, too, but it's built in whichever way, I guess.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 8:36 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Why on earth not?

Is he not allowed out after six?

He's a real estate agent for goodness sakes. He should be able to do the viewing anytime.
Come on Steve, can't actually expect them to do some work for their money?? That would be totally unreasonable!!!!
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
These are first time buyers - so furniture could be a bonus to them if it's included.

What a lazy lazy bastard My agent here in Toronto stayed here for 3 hours on Sunday while the buyer showed various contractors around so I didn't have to deal with them.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 8:41 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by G77
Come on Steve, can't actually expect them to do some work for their money?? That would be totally unreasonable!!!!
You're darned right I expect them to work .

The agent did all the viewing for my sons recent sale as he was expected to do.

I guess it's that different UK system again?
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 8:42 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steve_P

I guess it's that different UK system again?
After 5+ years of good times and not having to do anything to sell a house except collect the cash, estate agents here are inherently lazy..... maybe they'll wise up when they start to struggle in the rough times to come....
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst it's probably unfair to compare the service offered by UK estate agents (circa 1% commission) with that offered by Canadian realtors (circa 3% commission), you should still be able to get showings on evenings and weekends.

Estate agents vary tremendously and it is well worth doing your homework before you instruct.

My husband and his sister sold their parents house a couple of years ago after their father died. They went to a local agent who had been there for years to sell the house and didn't really shop around much. The service they got was appalling. On a couple of occasions people had booked viewings and the agent never turned up. They never returned calls, repeatedly got the details and changes wrong. Lost the phone number of someone who made an offer so they couldn't call him back with the answer....the list is endless. The crowning glory is that 2 years on despite several phone calls from us, they still haven't sent the bill.

When we put our house up for sale my OH thought that I was OTT on choosing the agent. I treated like an interview and judged them on answers. I visited their shop as a potential buyer to see what the front line service was like, I phone them on several occasions to check out the telephone manner. I vetted ads in the paper and I checked out websites for ease of navigation. The result has bee that the agent we chose has been fabulous. They bend over backwards to help, they have listened to us, helped us consider ideas, called us back in the evening when we asked them to, offered to do viewings, handled negotiations and generally been complete stars. This is all in the background of them being a family run business and in the last few months they have had a sudden death in the family, illness and death of an elderly relative and the daughter who works in the office has had a baby. My house may not have sold yet, but they couldn't have tried any harder if they had been selling their own house.

So there are good agents out there, you just have to sort the wheat from the chaff in order to find them.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 8:55 am
Nearly there! Tick, tock!

Erinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to all
Smile Re: House viewing - tell the truth?

do we tell them the truth about moving to Canada?
I've given this matter a lot of thought since putting our house on the market last week.

If I'm forced into a corner I have decided to tell viewers that I have inherited a house out of the area from a relation, sounds slightly macabre I know, but would explain why I have no upward chain.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

I really can't get over the British need to explain themselves to people. They are buying your house, not a share in your life!

It is none of their business where you are going and why. You don't need to lie about it...just don't tell them.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 8:58 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

What's people's opinion on a low offer? We've already dropped 5% (in 6 weeks) and we're £4K lower (at £149K) than the closest comparable house.

We're expecting people to come in lower than the asking price, but what's to be expected in this market?
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 9:01 am
Nearly there! Tick, tock!

Erinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to all
Smile Re: House viewing - tell the truth?

It is none of their business where you are going and why. You don't need to lie about it...just don't tell them.
Come on then, I'm intrigued!!!

When the viewer asks, 'so where are you moving to?' what would say?

'I'M NOT TELLING YOU!!!'
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

If you get an offer you have to really consider it no matter how low, if you are lucky the people will move up a bit if you hold out.

I have seen a number of people in the past who have turned down low offers and ended up selling even lower months down the line when they are desperate.

Obviously you need enough money to get on with your lives, but don't risk cutting your nose off to spite your face. If 20 years time when you have in Canada, happy with your new lives and your mortgage paid, will you really be sitting there wishing you have held out for that extra £10k?
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 9:05 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

how about 'i fancy a change'. cant say much to that can they!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.