Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

House Prices - How LOW can you go?

House Prices - How LOW can you go?

Old Feb 28th 2012, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: House Prices - How LOW can you go?

Originally Posted by snowcandy
Having spoken to a Calgary builder at one of their developments locally over the weekend- they were offered to do the basement for half the going price quoted. And this was not for a spec home. Will be trying to get a discount on the advertised price for sure when we are in a position to get things started. If you don't ask......

Good point about the realtor, as some are saying to us don't even step inside a showhome before first employing the services of a realtor to help negotiate.
You try for sure, the builder will review an offer....If you need any advice just PM me.

I worked with the builder for 7 months and in all that time only one Realtor actually sat through the contract with their client. That Realtor has now won the listing of my property, because they went the extra mile for the client. Usually it was this is my client see you in 9 months for my commission. lol
Old Feb 28th 2012, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

JimboV6 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
With all due respect, nothing is free. Discounts or freebies are all built into the price. If you believe otherwise you are naïve.
You are correct to call me on the incorrect use of the word "free", but I think you know what I meant.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 12:27 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Not so sure... It's kept its "bubble" growing by keeping an ongoing growth in population...and or investors

as long as they keep the bubble full of buyers it can keep expanding, and to take one objective viewpoint, it may be considered by many to be overvalued by Canadian standards, but as the increase in buyers is largely immigrants and external investors to some of whom Toronto is seen as seriously undervalued..

Some suggest we shouldn't compare the likes of Toronto and Vancouver internally but with other prime immigration cities around the world and they would suggest that prices have a long way to go up to match the global big city market price
As long as the interest rate is low you'll have investors. Once it hits 2.5 to 3% and they have to find another $500-$600 per month on a property and the rent no longer covers it the supply of properties on the market will drastically increase.

With people no longer able to obtain cheaper mortgages they'll be able to afford less and the Toronto housing market will begin it's descent.

There is not a market in History that has never crashed.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

I think in Toronto as mentioned before it depends on the area and the house in question. We bought our house in Toronto in 2006 and paid less than asking, we initially bid quite low to see, there were no multiple offers at that point, they countered higehr, we countered back withour max and they accepted, about 95% of asking I think in the end.
I'd say that if anything is going to burst, or deflate, it would start with condos as they are the most numerous in new construction and the least individualistic. Similar in the suburbs as mentioned above, if you have an estate of identical houses then it is hard to compete if you have multiple units for sale at once, if people aren't buying and they lower their price then it affects all similar units.
For the city though, and older family housing in established neighbourhoods I'd say it is hard for it to crash, some areas might deflate, others will keep increasing as they become more desirable, gentrified etc. In the end you can't bulid anymore old neighbourhood houses so you have a fixed supply and constant demand.
Have a look at this section of the Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...te/done-deals/

It features closed real estate deals, mostly in Toronto. You can see which ones sold for over or under asking. There is a spread, some neighbourhoods they are all under, some they are way over if you get a hosue in an area where they don't come up for sale often, or really nicely renovated etc.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 1:56 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

You can go as low as you want to. The seller always has the right to counter your offer or decline your offer. We had an offer on our home which was really low, we declined it as we were not prepared to fight tooth and nail bringing the offer up to something reasonable. The buyers have disappeared, probably now looking at something in their price range.... And we are more than fine with that as we are not in any hurry atm. When we are in a hurry we will bargain with anything I suppose
Old Feb 29th 2012, 2:27 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
As long as the interest rate is low you'll have investors. Once it hits 2.5 to 3% and they have to find another $500-$600 per month on a property and the rent no longer covers it the supply of properties on the market will drastically increase.

With people no longer able to obtain cheaper mortgages they'll be able to afford less and the Toronto housing market will begin it's descent.

There is not a market in History that has never crashed.
I totally understand that there isn't a market that hasn't crashed, and when it dipped a couple of years ago I bought a rural property with 20% off its original asking price...

But I don't think Toronto is in a bubble, yes joe blow mr average might start to struggle if interest rates moves up a few percentage points, but he's not driving up the prices, it’s the outside investors, and many aren’t buying to let. They are buying property because it’s a safe stable place to put their foreign investments because compared to many other world cities or investments its considered undervalued and the investment risk is consider lower than many other places.
Granted should they change that opinion and figure out that the market is at risk of a significant long term loss, then it will fall and fall big…

Then again its quite possible that the top part of the market driven by investment will be buffered, and the lower entry level properties fall due to mortgage payment pressures, creating a two tier market…
Old Feb 29th 2012, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
You can go as low as you want to. The seller always has the right to counter your offer or decline your offer. We had an offer on our home which was really low, we declined it as we were not prepared to fight tooth and nail bringing the offer up to something reasonable. The buyers have disappeared, probably now looking at something in their price range.... And we are more than fine with that as we are not in any hurry atm. When we are in a hurry we will bargain with anything I suppose
Good for you.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 5:31 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Then again its quite possible that the top part of the market driven by investment will be buffered, and the lower entry level properties fall due to mortgage payment pressures, creating a two tier market…
I think there could be a two tier market but the break will be between proper houses and condo's.